Intro-Tech Ultimate Sunshade Review

Background:

Website purchased: AutoAccessories Garage (http://www.autoaccesoriesgarage.com)

Date Ordered: 6/21/20112:40PM PDT

Date Arrived: 6/28/201111:00AM PDT

Shipping Costs: $ FREE $- Drop shipped from Intro-Tech in Ontario, CA

Shipping Carrier: UPS

Link: http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com//Interior-Accessories/Intro-Tech-Ultimate-Reflector-Sun-Shade?utm_source=order-first-time&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=order-confirmation

In my last car, I had the SunShield shade (~$40, iirc) and was fairly happy with it. It kept the cabin cool and fit well. But I was always looking for a way to prop it up in the middle as it would sag due to the lack of support. With any roll-up sunshade, you have to expect some sagging in the middle.

With the Edge, I wanted to make sure that no sagging was going to take place. It has a VERY large windshield and a sagging shade would real bad.

After searching everywhere for a shade that met my requirements, I finally found Intro-Tech and their "Ultimate Reflective Sunshade". Every site that sells these things has them listed at $59.95 with some offering free shipping. I suggest buying from vendor out of your state that offers free shipping since it will be custom made and drop shipped anyway (to save from taxes).

About the shade from the company:

Each Intro-Tech Reflector Sunshade is custom-made to your exact vehicle for a perfect fit and maximum windshield coverage. It features a 6-layer design (graphite felt,1/4" thermal foam board, 2 fiber layers, air cushions, and Mylar) that isboth durable and insulating. The Reflector also includes a storage bag so youcan keep it clean and secure while you drive. Your Intro-Tech Ultimate Reflector Sunshade is backed with a Lifetime Warranty.

I absolutely love the shade. And for this price, it had better be a love thing! wub.gif

There are a couple things people always ask about, and that's fitment and rigidity. It fits nearly perfectly. There are 2 small gaps, one oneach side that is about 5mm wide and a rather large cut out for the mirror to fit. Since the shade is absolutely rigid, they needed to make the mirror cutout larger so you can install the shade without bending it.

Here's a couple shots of what I'm taking about:

Intro-Tech%20Sunshade%20-%20Left%20Inside%20Gap.jpg

Intro-Tech%20Sunshade%20-%20Inside.jpg

About rigidity, take a look at this picture and keep in mind that there is nothing holding it up and it is nearly flush with the windshield:

Intro-Tech%20Sunshade%20-%20Outside.jpg

Features I like:

-The fit is awesome

-The materials are of the quality you would expect at this price.

-It's two sided, so you can use the dark side in winter to absorb and keep heat in your car!

-Comes with a pouch to hold it (although the pouch is a "2-sizes-fits-all" type deal and is meant to accommodate even larger shades)

-It folds quickly, way faster than the roll-up with velcro. (Once you fold up your mirrors you just "collapse" it back to a stack while resting on the dash and then stick it in the pouch)

-It keeps the car really cool.

Folded:

Intro-Tech%20Sunshade%20-%20Folded.jpg

Things to consider:

-It is very large, but that's due tothe size of the Edge's windshield. Any shade worth anything will be this large.

-It costs $59.95. That's a lot for ashade, but this thing is SOLID and my dash/leather are worth it.

My Rating: * * * * * / 5

I would recommend this to another Edge owner or any other car owner for that matter. If you care about your comfort, dash and rest of your interior and/or want a quick privacy shade, this is for you! It has the added benefit of being useful in the winter and comes with a storage pouch.

Happy Edging!

(I am in no way affiliate with AutoAccessories Garage nor Intro-Tech)

Edited by cal3thousand
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I also bought one of these because of this post, but for my Fusion. One thing to consider is that the bag it came with sort of fell apart on me after ~1 month. I've just resigned myself to not using it anymore. Otherwise, the shade is great!

Same here. The 2 sizes fits all bag is tattered at the edges now due to the velcro. They should have switched where they put the "hooks" versus the "loops".

That way, the soft "loops" would be the side contacting the edges of the bag and not "hooking" it.

• 1 year later...

Returning my Edge on April 1st 2013 (Lease end). No joke :)

So, I'm selling my accessories. This shade is still in good condition and still kicks ass. It's about to get hot, so you definitely want one to save your dash and sweat.

(I'm using the funds to purchase another one of these excellent shades for my new-to-me car).

$35 shipping to your door in the CONUS. Canadians PM me to figure out if it will be cost prohibitive. Includes the crappy bag if I can find it.

• 1 month later...

Just ordered the one your reviewed (fold up) and their roll up one too, from the auto acc garage place you bought from.

I've got a brand new 2013 Edge SEL, the store only lists models up to 2012.

I bought the 2012 shades (tho my ride is a 2013) - living on the Edge! Hahaha!

• 2 weeks later...

Got my foldup and rollup 2012 shades (for my 2013 Edge), the foldup fit sooooooooo perfectly, i threw the rollup into the back cargo area, didn't even try it.

Foldup one is a perfect fit, easy to slap up, fits like a glove!

Love it!

I did think the auto acc garage place shipped slow, but i wasn't in a rush (it's still cool in Fla now).

:-)