Letting off the gas...

wciesla09

Has anyone else experienced this: You let off the gas while driving and instead of just coasting, you feel almost like the car is downshifting, though the RPM's don't move much. It feels like the transmission is slowing the vehicle down intentionally. I am not sure if this is part of the design, maybe it has something to do with fuel efficiency - or if this is a problem with my transmission. Any thoughts?

Has anyone else experienced this: You let off the gas while driving and instead of just coasting, you feel almost like the car is downshifting, though the RPM's don't move much. It feels like the transmission is slowing the vehicle down intentionally. I am not sure if this is part of the design, maybe it has something to do with fuel efficiency - or if this is a problem with my transmission. Any thoughts?

This could be downgrade assist - are you tapping the brakes when this happens?

no just letting off the gas

Sometimes, I feel the same thing.

I think it's the car understanding you are on an incline of some sort and cutting the injectors.

EDIT: just found this link that indicates that the Edge will occasionally put an additional load on the alternator on coast to charge your battery and (presumably) reduce it's use on acceleration. Wonder how much truth is in there.

http://bartowfordnew.../2011-ford-edge

EDIT2: after some more reading, it seems fuel cut as well as a clutched "smart" alternator all help to give the Edge it's 19/27 EPA rating.

Edited by cal3thousand

Mine definitely has this behavior, although it's not extremely noticeable. I have found that if you depress the accelerator even just a tiny bit, it will coast as you would expect. I haven't driven an automatic vehicle for a while so I just thought this was normal behavior.

I read this in the manual which appears to explain it:

"your vehicle has been designed to improve fuel economy by reducing fuel usage while coasting or decelerating. when you take your foot off the accelerator pedal and the vehicle begins to slow down, the torque converter clutch locks up and aggressively shuts off fuel flow to the engine while decelerating. This fuel economy benefit may be perceived as a light to medium breaking sensation when removing your foot from the accelerator pedal"

I read this in the manual which appears to explain it:

"your vehicle has been designed to improve fuel economy by reducing fuel usage while coasting or decelerating. when you take your foot off the accelerator pedal and the vehicle begins to slow down, the torque converter clutch locks up and aggressively shuts off fuel flow to the engine while decelerating. This fuel economy benefit may be perceived as a light to medium breaking sensation when removing your foot from the accelerator pedal"

PLEASE tell me the manual doesn't say "breaking"

Spell check doesn't help when you mistype brake as break. And our minds are trained to read thru misspelled words, sometimes even when proofreading. Some errors will slip thru.

One trick I used to use was to read what the agency personnel had done backwards just to avoid the tendancy to read over an error.

Glad there is a great explanation for the new feel for coasting. I havn't been in a new one yet, but won't be surprised if it happens now.