amount of roll when put in park.

AXCL

My Edge seems to have a lot of roll when you put the car in park on a slight incline. More so then any other car I've had. I'm guessing its moved 4" or more after putting it in park and taking my foot off the break. This can't be good on the tranny...or is the tranny the cause?

Big tires like the ones on the Edge will result in more roll.

You should always use the parking brake on hills anyway.

On anything steep, I always do, but I've been in parking lots that have a tilt to a drain or something and it will roll, or even my driveway, which is only about a 5deg incline. I may just start using it all of the time to get used it. Just wondering if that 4"+ roll is normal. It does make sense that the bigger tires will allow for more lateral movement, I just didn't think it would be that much.

On anything steep, I always do, but I've been in parking lots that have a tilt to a drain or something and it will roll, or even my driveway, which is only about a 5deg incline. I may just start using it all of the time to get used it. Just wondering if that 4"+ roll is normal. It does make sense that the bigger tires will allow for more lateral movement, I just didn't think it would be that much.

Yes it's normal. In addition to the tires it seems the 6F trannies have a large amount of movement in the parking pawl design (it works just like putting a stick into your bicycle spokes). It's a combination of both that yields the 4" travel. It is normal in the sense that it's designed that way even though it's more than other vehicles.

Yes it's normal. In addition to the tires it seems the 6F trannies have a large amount of movement in the parking pawl design (it works just like putting a stick into your bicycle spokes). It's a combination of both that yields the 4" travel. It is normal in the sense that it's designed that way even though it's more than other vehicles.

Thanks!!

I've got the tranny bump / Klunk whatever you want to call it issue, its going in on Monday for the TSB. I just wanted to make sure this wasn't another issue with something in the powertrain.

The act of rolling the 4" and bouncing off of the "stick in the spokes"...is that hard on the tranny, or is it built for that?

Thanks!!

I've got the tranny bump / Klunk whatever you want to call it issue, its going in on Monday for the TSB. I just wanted to make sure this wasn't another issue with something in the powertrain.

The act of rolling the 4" and bouncing off of the "stick in the spokes"...is that hard on the tranny, or is it built for that?

What's the tranny bump/klunk issue? BTW, I have been in the habit of using the parking brake for years so it's just 2nd nature to me.

What's the tranny bump/klunk issue? BTW, I have been in the habit of using the parking brake for years so it's just 2nd nature to me.

Its an issue with the tranny where they have to replace the valve body separator plate with a new one, to fill a hole and remove one of the check balls and then a new PCM calibration for the changes.

TSB11-05-06

I'm just confused as to why only some vehicles would require this fix. My only guess is that the issue only surfaces if you do a lot of bumper to bumper traffic. This may cause the system receive different training then if you're always driving normally. I had the PCM reset already and before it began learning anything, it worked great. After a month or so, the issue came back.

I think I'm going to try to work on using the parking brake more often.

Edited by AXCL

Its an issue with the tranny where they have to replace the valve body separator plate with a new one, to fill a hole and remove one of the check balls and then a new PCM calibration for the changes.

TSB11-05-06

I'm just confused as to why only some vehicles would require this fix. My only guess is that the issue only surfaces if you do a lot of bumper to bumper traffic. This may cause the system receive different training then if you're always driving normally. I had the PCM reset already and before it began learning anything, it worked great. After a month or so, the issue came back.

I thought this TSB was for the clunky slam shifts at slow speeds that some are experiencing. No?

I thought this TSB was for the clunky slam shifts at slow speeds that some are experiencing. No?

You are correct!

Earlier in the tread I had mentioned I was validating the amount of roll was normal so I'd know if it was possibly other transmission issues as I was taking it in for the "bump/klunk" issue. Richy had just asked me what that was, so I provided details. Its not related to the roll in park.

You are correct!

Earlier in the tread I had mentioned I was validating the amount of roll was normal so I'd know if it was possibly other transmission issues as I was taking it in for the "bump/klunk" issue. Richy had just asked me what that was, so I provided details. Its not related to the roll in park.

aaaahhhh... thanks for clearing that up biggrin.gif

TSB11-05-06

Thanks for the clarification. I never drive in stop and go, so that makes sense.

Thanks!!

Hey AXCL. how did the TSB go? I have the Klunk as well as what I consider extensive roll in Park.

Hey AXCL. how did the TSB go? I have the Klunk as well as what I consider extensive roll in Park.

From what I'm hearing / reading, the roll is normal due to the size of the tires and the type of tranny. It seems to be a common report. I just started doing what was recommended and what I should have been doing...parking brake takes care of it.

Re the TSB, its still in the shop, was told may be ready today, but latest tomorrow. I'm not liking my temporary Fusion, its soooo low..and uncomfortable.

I also mentioned some creaking, so they ordered some "isolators" for somewhere, supposedly this is a known issue and there are parts to fix...I'm good with that. I'll post more on that once I get the details.

I'm not so sure the rolling is normal. My Edge didn't used to do it. It used to be tight when I put it into park. Now I have to be careful to not park close to something cuz I may roll into it.

It is normal - it's designed into the transmission. It doesn't change over time.

It is normal - it's designed into the transmission. It doesn't change over time.

I've driven a few vehicles in my 40+ years of driving and I have never had a vehicle roll like this one. This is not normal.

I've been driving this car since Sept. so I'm pretty familiar to how it acts when I park it. It didn't used to roll like it does now. This "normal" behavior has presented itself in the last month.

UPDATE:

Today I parked in the same parking space as I have for several weeks. I left myself the usual room so I wouldn't roll into the wall. To my surprise, the car didn't roll. It held it's weight like it used to.

Edited by wilsons66604

I've driven a few vehicles in my 40+ years of driving and I have never had a vehicle roll like this one. This is not normal.

I've been driving this car since Sept. so I'm pretty familiar to how it acts when I park it. It didn't used to roll like it does now. This "normal" behavior has presented itself in the last month.

UPDATE:

Today I parked in the same parking space as I have for several weeks. I left myself the usual room so I wouldn't roll into the wall. To my surprise, the car didn't roll. It held it's weight like it used to.

It may be random depending on where the parking pawl engages the shaft, but it's not going to change over time. It's totally dependent on the design of the transmission and the size of the tires.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automatic-transmission11.htm

It may be random depending on where the parking pawl engages the shaft, but it's not going to change over time. It's totally dependent on the design of the transmission and the size of the tires.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automatic-transmission11.htm

Thanks for the link! I didn't realize it was that simple, which also worries me. With the amount of roll we get and the weight of the Edge, it appears to be an easy part to break.

It makes sense that at times, if engaged exactly in the correct position, it would be rock stable, but even if you're out a fraction on the "notch" on the wrong side, the shaft would have to rotate a considerable amount before the "mechanism" engages the next "notch". This in combination with your axle gearing would determine the amount of wheel rotation and in turn, (excuse the pun) would translate to a linear movement relative to the size of your tire. There are still lots of comments as to how far it rolls, so we must have big "notches" as well. Not a big deal as long as everyone else is saying the same thing I know mine isn't broken. Parking brake it is!!

Edited by AXCL

There are still lots of comments as to how far it rolls, so we must have big "notches" as well. Not a big deal as long as everyone else is saying the same thing I know mine isn't broken. Parking brake it is!!

Yes, it appears the 6F transmissions have "big notches" for lack of a better technical term - that's just how it was designed. And I've never heard of anyone breaking it outside of slamming it into park at highway speeds.

But all this is really moot if you just use the parking brake all the time which is why it's there.