Strange Issue with Braking

k1200rsport

Took a 1500 mile trip in my 2011 Edge Limited, Fuel economy was 27.6 MPG average. But had a strange problem with the brakes, seemed like there was a delay in the braking from pressing the brake pedal to when the brakes start activating. At one place almost got in an accident, coming out of gas station and pressed the brakes at STOP sign but car kept roling and then finally stopped. Anyone has experienced similar issue?

Thanks

Took a 1500 mile trip in my 2011 Edge Limited, Fuel economy was 27.6 MPG average. But had a strange problem with the brakes, seemed like there was a delay in the braking from pressing the brake pedal to when the brakes start activating. At one place almost got in an accident, coming out of gas station and pressed the brakes at STOP sign but car kept roling and then finally stopped. Anyone has experienced similar issue?

Thanks

Not at all. To me, the Edge brakes have great grab and feel. There's a tiny spot where the car knows it's braking before the friction actually occurs, but I have to try in order to find it. I think it was designed like this to allow you to do some light engine braking on grades.

But in general, I don't ever feel that the car keeps rolling if I command a stop.

Were you maybe trying to do a finesse stop? Or maybe something was on the rotors such as oil? If not, I would have the dealer look at the brakes to see if they might have air in the lines.

Thanks

Could it have been an anti-lock braking issue? I don't own an Edge, yet. But, I know that with my Tahoe there are certain situations where I simultaneously brake and go over a bump that it fakes-out the anti lock brakes and I get a panic moment when the brakes don't feel like they're braking.

Have you had Krown or rustcheck rustproofing done to the vehicle, I had my truck done by one of them and they sprayed thier product onto my rotors. It felt exactly like your describing, I went to the car wash and sprayed them off with soapy water and braking was back to the same way as it was after a few miles of driving, which was lucky; I thought new pads were going to be in order. Tire shine products would also do the same thing if you sprayed them onto the rotors.

Thanks

Did you happen to get a carwash at the gas station or do something else to get the rotors wet?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Thanks

This event happened last night on my Edge, after sitting for three hours at dinner, I came out, started the vehicle, and slowly backed out of a parking space, the brake pedal felt mushy, the vehicle was slow to respond. There was no traffic, so I was not anxious, but the pedal was soft for several pumps, the car was not stopping, I reved the motor, stomped hard on the pedal and the pedal pressure came back, the car stopped. There were no warning lights lit, only the back up aid announcement. I drove home, about ten minutes, had no re occurrence. I started it up this morning in the garage, tried to replicate the problem, but was unable to. I read the owners manual, I searched the web and have found this forum. I registered to respond to this posting. Have you found resolution with the issue? Steve