How loud can you go before your speakers distort?

The Sony system is really bad. The speakers are junk but the processing isn't that bad. The distortion is normal for these types of systems. As you turn up the volume the systems turns down the bass to protect the junk speakers. This is common across all manufacturers now though. Thats why devices like the RE-Q5 exists for aftermarket subs. I'm not much of an audiophile but the stock system is bad so I am upgrading it. I am doing a 5 channel setup with active front components. All the channels are being replaced with high quality Hybrid Audio Technology speakers. I am also adding a JBL MS-8 DSP to actively run the front components and auto EQ the car perfectly. I am adding a JL audio stealthbox which has a single 10W3v3-2 that replaces the thin ABS plactic sub box and 8" woofer. Powering everything will be a JL audio HD900/5 amp. The 4 channels will power 100W to the front tweeters and 100W to the mids. The 500W sub channel will go to the sub. I also get a JL audio XD400/4 amp for 150w bridged to the center channel and 74W to the rear fill speakers.

I would only run front components and a sub unless you run an external DSP like the JBL MS-8. Then you can run a nice logic-7 setup and it sounds amazing.

I have just the stock system that comes with package 202A so I don't know who actually makes any of it.

It's not only the music that distorts, voice prompts and phone calls also do. It's kind of a pain now that in order to have a phone call that doesn't sound like crud because of the volume, I have to shut the roof and my windows so I can turn down the volume.

I have just the stock system that comes with package 202A so I don't know who actually makes any of it.

It's not only the music that distorts, voice prompts and phone calls also do. It's kind of a pain now that in order to have a phone call that doesn't sound like crud because of the volume, I have to shut the roof and my windows so I can turn down the volume.

SEL 202A has the most basic 6 speaker system, sadly, even lower quality than the Sony HD unit.

I wouldn't expect much.

Just curious how much volume you can get before you start to hear distortion. I have the stock system and I can go just a little below 50% before getting distorted. I would have expected it to be higher since the system goes plenty loud.

David - I have a 2010 SEL that started with a stock CD changer audio system (Pioneer OEM head - honestly rated at probably about 15 watts RMS into 4 ohms per channel). It sounded OK up to about 2/3rds max (with the tone controls set flat - if you boost the bass, the max clean volume setting will be lower). The volume of the stock system was almost enough for me, it was the poor sound quality (and lack of low end) that I couldn't take. The stock speakers are the weakest component, in my opinion. I replaced all door speakers as a first step and it helped quite a bit.

good luck

Linty

David - I have a 2010 SEL that started with a stock CD changer audio system (Pioneer OEM head - honestly rated at probably about 15 watts RMS into 4 ohms per channel). It sounded OK up to about 2/3rds max (with the tone controls set flat - if you boost the bass, the max clean volume setting will be lower). The volume of the stock system was almost enough for me, it was the poor sound quality (and lack of low end) that I couldn't take. The stock speakers are the weakest component, in my opinion. I replaced all door speakers as a first step and it helped quite a bit.

good luck

Linty

Yeah, I have noticed if I turn the bass and treble both way way down, I can get more volume before distortion. But it sounds bad.