Best Hitch for supporting a bike rack on my 07 Edge

I'm looking to install a hitch on my 2007 Edge to support a bike rack. I won't be doing any towing so I don't need any exterior electrical hook-up. Are there any options that I can install which won't involve cutting the bumper? What is the smallest size/class that I can go with if I only need to carry a bike rack?

There are racks available that mount underneath without cutting AFAIK. I would suggest asking U-Haul or another Hitch rack spot.

As for the Bike Rack, even a Class I will work but the thin diameter bar will introduce opportunities for swaying. I have the 2" hitch and it feels solid.

Check this review I put up, it might help you on choosing a rack:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/7756-hitch-bike-rack-review-inno-3-bike-rack/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What is the lowest class hitch that will safely support a bike rack, or should my search be limited to specifically racks that support a 2" bar?

Does anyone have a suggestion for hidden hitch that doesn't require cutting the bumper and doesn't interfere with the exhaust?

What provisions should be made to limit the potnetial for rusting where the hitch is mounted to the vehicle frame?

The one I picked up for our 2011 (Valley 82162 I think) didn't require any cutting or drilling but since they changed the exhaust cans somewhere along the line it doesn't fit out car without hearing clunks. I believe your exhaust cans should be fine with any of the hitches since they are widest at the middle. There is a thread here where someone modified the Valley hitch to make it completely hidden (was my original plan) and it shows a picture of the older exhaust can style. If yours look like that you should be fine. Also AFAIK the only cutting that is required is on Sport models due to the rear valence hanging lower than other models.

Currently I am awaiting a Curt 13067 which specifically shows the newer cans in the install instructions so I am hoping for the best.

As for what is best for a bike rack that is really dependent on what kind of bikes and how many you are hauling. If you are doing two lightweight bikes a 1 1/4" hitch would be OK but I would make sure teh rack has some anti wobble/rattle feature built in. But if you are going to do more than two bikes or mountain/downhill bikes I would recommend a 2" reciever and some sort of anti rattle/wobble device.

Edited by wlepse

I don't have an Edge as of yet, but thinking about taking the plunge. Therefore, I can't help you out a bit re possible "cutting". However, I'm a firm believer in going with the 2" receiver as you never know what you may run into down the road re towing. Also, I think you'll get a tighter fit with the 2" verses the 1.25" receiver. The only negative about the 2" is that it's bigger and MAYBE more unslghtly to the eye. Also, more chance of dragging on the road on sudden steep grades (like transitioning from a flat driveway to a steep grade). When this happens, no foul, but a obnoxious grinding noise for a second or two). The first time it happens, it's a guaranteed WTH!

Wow...I know these are expensive for most people but on the way back from vacation I saw a rack made by Kuat...freaking amazing! All aluminum construction, my Saris Cycle On Pro is badly corroded after 5 years and it comes with a lifetime warranty. They even have one that has a built in bike repair stand. Will definitely be getting one of these eventually.

As for the hitch itself...just the new Curt 13067 yesterday and I am itching to get it on and see if it gets rid of the clunking. I will post results later.

• 4 months later...