Sync my ride MFT upgrade avaliable?

Ours paused on file 4 of 7 (after the first reboot completed the first 4 of then 11) for a LONG time. We thought it froze so I ejected it and cancelled. We shut down the car and then restarted, inserted and away we went again and just left it running with the doors locked. About 30-45 mins later I came out and caught the end of the service pack install and it was done. Plugging it in online reported success of 2.11 install so I'd say download it fresh to a drive, use the top usb port then let it sit because it will, with no activity for a LONG time.

Haven't had time to mess with it yet but the quick test to see if the bluetooth issue with my crappy Samsung Saga is fixed (it's not btw) seemed to have much better response times. We'll see...

Here is the message I got from the ford rep that sent me the reboot app. Remember in the sync forum there was an older thread (8mths ago?) where you had to ask for the reboot app for the non-mft version & the mod did take & honored those requests for awhile. I asked- & was told not MFT. But later another I asked a Ford rep & said they could send a mft version upon request. Prob like akirby said higher bosses won't let that get out of control???

"Attached is a copy of the tool to restart your MyTouch system without pulling the fuse. Extract the files to the root folder of a USB thumb drive that it FAT or FAT32 formatted. If your MyTouch system is still working, it will automatically restart several seconds after you plug in the USB thumb drive. Note that this tool will only work on your 2011 Lincoln MKX, VIN ...... So ....Do you think it is locked or if they just had to "say" that? Can a .cab file have a validity ck to a vin #? The file is a 8400 byte reboot.cab file & an autoinstal.lst 448 byte file. That is it.

It's certainly possible it checks the VIN - or that could just be a CYA move. Are these binary files or text? Did you try opening them with Notepad?

It's certainly possible it checks the VIN - or that could just be a CYA move. Are these binary files or text? Did you try opening them with Notepad?

The cab file is binary. If it contained the vin, it would have been compiled and built with the vin. ...surprised if that is the case.

The lst file is text. It's the script that tells Touch to install the cab file. It is possible that the vin is in it.

Drpepper,

I'm curious to see the contents of the lst file.

My guess is the website checks your VIN and provides the correct install cabs based on what it's reported as being already installed (which is why it requests you tell it after you're done so it can update accordingly). That way they only need cab files for certain configs and can dole the same ones out accordingly vs having to pack and create a new package on the fly when requested. Much easier this way but then again, that doesn't mean that's the route they took :)

My guess is the website checks your VIN and provides the correct install cabs based on what it's reported as being already installed (which is why it requests you tell it after you're done so it can update accordingly). That way they only need cab files for certain configs and can dole the same ones out accordingly vs having to pack and create a new package on the fly when requested. Much easier this way but then again, that doesn't mean that's the route they took :)

Ya. Mostl likey that's how it works with the upgrades but not sure it would apply with this reboot.cab

Sounds like a corrupted file. Did you copy the downloaded file to each USB drive? If yes, I suggest downloading the update again and copying to your drive. The important point, you know how to back out, but you lose sometime during the process.

i did perform a separate download for each USB drive that I tried. I too thought the same thing, but I downloaded the file using two different PC's among the four USB sticks...

You are correct though, I do know how to back out and am not losing anything but time.

After waiting an 50 minutes and still no progress I called the Tech Team. The analyst I spoke with said they had a few reports of this happening. He had me back out of the update, and then perform a Master Reset. After chatting with the analyst, I am wondering if maybe a hidden file on my usb stick could be causing the issue. I am trying to go from 2.8 to 2.11. I did try the update a second time with the exact results: stopping at file 6 of 9. Anyway, I have several other thumb drives so I will grab some coffee and give it another shot this morning.

Cheers!

My update was stuck on 6 of 9 for a long time. However, the light on the thumb drive was flashing for most of this time, so I guessed that it was a big file. When the light quit flashing I got a little worried, but it eventually finished all 9 files. About 45 minutes for me.

The cab file is binary. If it contained the vin, it would have been compiled and built with the vin. ...surprised if that is the case.

The lst file is text. It's the script that tells Touch to install the cab file. It is possible that the vin is in it.

Drpepper,

I'm curious to see the contents of the lst file.

Here is what notepd shows ( x out the vin #)

;+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++!

; VIN: xxxxxxxxxxxx !

; Reboot Application !

; USB Installation !

; SYNC MyTouch !

; !

[sYNCGen2_ALL]

Item1 = Restart SYNC

Open1 = reboot.cab

Options = AutoInstall

Here is what notepad shows ( x out the vin #)

; Reboot Application !

; USB Installation !

; SYNC MyTouch !

; !

[sYNCGen2_ALL]

Item1 = Restart SYNC

Open1 = reboot.cab

Options = AutoInstall

The cab files has 4 items. 000dummy.002 ( 002 file, 28bytes) , 000setup.001 (001 file ,681bytes), disabl~1.000 (000file, 197bytes) , disable~ 1.99 ( 999 file, 5.71KB)

Here is what notepd shows ( x out the vin #)

; Reboot Application !

; USB Installation !

; SYNC MyTouch !

; !

[sYNCGen2_ALL]

Item1 = Restart SYNC

Open1 = reboot.cab

Options = AutoInstall

This looks promising.

The area where the VIN is located is a COMMENT BLOCK for info only.

The script starts with Item1 = Restart Sync

My update was stuck on 6 of 9 for a long time. However, the light on the thumb drive was flashing for most of this time, so I guessed that it was a big file. When the light quit flashing I got a little worried, but it eventually finished all 9 files. About 45 minutes for me.

Good news. Was finally able to get the 2.11 update to complete. Called tech team one last time & spoke with an analyst by the name of Brian. Very sharp tech and helpful. He had me pull Fuse 29 for 5 minutes. Then restart vehicle and perform a Master Reset, followed by starting the update. It took about 70 minutes, but it was successful this time. I then reported the install and the site now shows my Edge at v2.11.

Will see how performance is on the way home today, but for now it's back to work. Enough play-time this morning. :shift:

Edited by Xargon79

This looks promising.

The area where the VIN is located is a COMMENT BLOCK for info only.

The script starts with Item1 = Restart Sync

I wonder if the cab file binary has the VIN embedded? Does anyone have access to a Linux or Unix system and run strings on the CAB file to see if the VIN is in there? Or a binary editor?

If not you should be able to just post the files and it should work for everyone. Or someone could just try it and see.

I wonder if the cab file binary has the VIN embedded? Does anyone have access to a Linux or Unix system and run strings on the CAB file to see if the VIN is in there? Or a binary editor?

If not you should be able to just post the files and it should work for everyone. Or someone could just try it and see.

Can you walk me throught the steps so I can see if the vin is there or not. What program do I download to "view" or "search" the cab file. Since the vin is in the outer comment box- would it be a stretch to think there is one in the other files? or is there just a validity check - meaning there is a command to look at that comment box I see a specific vin # or just any vin number to continue? Like an Excel formul- if this then that. If the if this is not present - then a no go?

Can you walk me throught the steps so I can see if the vin is there or not. What program do I download to "view" or "search" the cab file. Since the vin is in the outer comment box- would it be a stretch to think there is one in the other files? or is there just a validity check - meaning there is a command to look at that comment box I see a specific vin # or just any vin number to continue? Like an Excel formul- if this then that. If the if this is not present - then a no go?

The comment has nothing to do with what's in the binary cab file.

Try this one. Run it against the cab file and see if the VIN shows up.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897439

The comment has nothing to do with what's in the binary cab file.

Try this one. Run it against the cab file and see if the VIN shows up.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897439

OK I downloaded the file. When I tried dragging the reboot cab or the indiv files over the .exec. or tried launching the .exc. Got same result- a mila-sec quick flash of what looked like a dos screen or a cmmand prompt scrren & that was it. Nothing strayed open or created a log file or anything.

OK I downloaded the file. When I tried dragging the reboot cab or the indiv files over the .exec. or tried launching the .exc. Got same result- a mila-sec quick flash of what looked like a dos screen or a cmmand prompt scrren & that was it. Nothing strayed open or created a log file or anything.

A good way to see if the VIN is in the cab file would be to let someone else try to run the reboot.

I'm willing to test it!

(Check your private messages Dr)

I see you didn't read the directions:

Using Strings

Usage: strings.exe [-a] [-b bytes] [-n length] [-o] [-q] [-s] [-u]

Strings takes wild-card expressions for file names, and additional command line parameters are defined as follows:

-s Recurse subdirectories.

-o Print offset in file string is located.

-a Scan for ASCII only.

-u Scan for UNICODE only.

-b bytes Bytes of file to scan.

-n X Strings must be a minimum of X characters in length.

Using Strings

Usage: strings.exe [-a] [-b bytes] [-n length] [-o] [-q] [-s] [-u] <file or directory>

Strings takes wild-card expressions for file names, and additional command line parameters are defined as follows:

-a Scan for ASCII only.

Kirby,

to most people, that post would look like greek.

:doh:

Using Strings

Usage: strings.exe [-a] [-b bytes] [-n length] [-o] [-q] [-s] [-u] <file or directory>

-a Scan for ASCII only.

OK I am not an IT person. That response was rather forward! I tried double clicking on the exec.- no. I tried pressing & holding the "-" key & the "a" key- no. I do not speak that language. As posted before- I took initiative & drilled down the Ford phone directory & got someone to send it to me. I asked why noone else took same iniative? I got no reply. I have asked my work IT people about the app. They agree the bubble with the vin - I could just delete & save. But they could not say for sure that my vin was not in the cab as some validity check or id marker to see if it was posted. I have ot had the chance to plug it into another EDGE/MXK & see the result- post or neg. I do not feel comfortable giving out an app given to me by ford that may have my vin & could come back to me in an ill way. I have spelled out pretty clear here & on the sync forum tips & tricks & my willness to help others.

OK I am not an IT person. That response was rather forward! I tried double clicking on the exec.- no. I tried pressing & holding the "-" key & the "a" key- no. I do not speak that language. As posted before- I took initiative & drilled down the Ford phone directory & got someone to send it to me. I asked why noone else took same iniative? I got no reply. I have asked my work IT people about the app. They agree the bubble with the vin - I could just delete & save. But they could not say for sure that my vin was not in the cab as some validity check or id marker to see if it was posted. I have ot had the chance to plug it into another EDGE/MXK & see the result- post or neg. I do not feel comfortable giving out an app given to me by ford that may have my vin & could come back to me in an ill way. I have spelled out pretty clear here & on the sync forum tips & tricks & my willness to help others.

Sorry, I thought the directions were straight forward even for non-techie users. Let's say the file is widget.cab on the E: drive. You would run it like this:

Open a Command Prompt.

Run the following command:

strings.exe -a -n 10 E:\widget.cab

and see if the VIN appears.

Sorry, I thought the directions were straight forward even for non-techie users. Let's say the file is widget.cab on the E: drive. You would run it like this:

Open a Command Prompt.

Run the following command:

strings.exe -a -n 10 E:\widget.cab

and see if the VIN appears.

OK. Here is the deal. Today at work I had our IT guy help me at lunch with the command prompt & sting.exec. He did not see any 10 digit or more # that looked like the vin. Sounded promising. Tonight in my driveway I tried reboot app after I deleted the vin from the bubble & it worked on my car. Cool. So I got bolder & I went to a Ford dealer tonight-gave the speach guy at work has car, can I sit in car & play with the touch. I figure slow night with the baseball playoffs on. I plug in a reg usb & my music loads & plays. I load the usb w/ reboot app in the 2nd slot , screen changes to the install app screen ( try talking to distract sales guy since it did chage screens to install apps vs the music) & a rather long message pops up about not matching or wrong code or something. I pluff my my way through that I must have pluged in wrong usb. I unplug both. play w/radio & the get salemen talking again - ie distracted. I try again with just the reboot app in the other slot by itself. Same thing- it does change from the music screen to the sync install app screen & then same message pops up about not matching or missing - I could not very well take a screen capture or study long before the sales guy would realize that I was trying to install something on HIS car. I was hoping it WOULD reboot & then I could fluff around that I heard these things happen & I would apoligize for pluging in both drives at once & that it must of been silly me that foreced it to reboot. Ha prove that it works w/out them even knowing it was an app & not the car. But alas- that was not the case. Sorry. Maybe the IT guy that asked for my info & then repeated it again when he sent it to me was serious. Go figure.

Edited by drpepper

OK. Here is the deal. Today at work I had our IT guy help me at lunch with the command prompt & sting.exec. He did not see any 10 digit or more # that looked like the vin. Sounded promising. Tonight in my driveway I tried reboot app after I deleted the vin from the bubble & it worked on my car. Cool. So I got bolder & I went to a Ford dealer tonight-gave the speach guy at work has car, can I sit in car & play with the touch. I figure slow night with the baseball playoffs on. I plug in a reg usb & my music loads & plays. I load the usb w/ reboot app in the 2nd slot , screen changes to the install app screen ( try talking to distract sales guy since it did chage screens to install apps vs the music) & a rather long message pops up about not matching or wrong code or something. I pluff my my way through that I must have pluged in wrong usb. I unplug both. play w/radio & the get salemen talking again - ie distracted. I try again with just the reboot app in the other slot by itself. Same thing- it does change from the music screen to the sync install app screen & then same message pops up about not matching or missing - I could not very well take a screen capture or study long before the sales guy would realize that I was trying to install something on HIS car. I was hoping it WOULD reboot & then I could fluff around that I heard these things happen & I would apoligize for pluging in both drives at once & that it must of been silly me that foreced it to reboot. Ha prove that it works w/out them even knowing it was an app & not the car. But alas- that was not the case. Sorry. Maybe the IT guy that asked for my info & then repeated it again when he sent it to me was serious. Go figure.

WOW! Good on you you Dr!

Ford must be generating the cab on a "as needed" basis. Darn.

Oh well, I'm still happy with the delayed reboot.

Thanks!

I can't believe you did that to the dealer. What if it locked up?

Apparently the VIN is encrypted or stored as binary. At least now we know.