2011 Edge Limited Noisy Microphone

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erik,

Thanks for the photos in the email, I just have a few questions that I couldn't glean from them. Did you replace the microphone, or just cut out the circuit board in the picture? If replaced, which microphone did you end up using? How did you isolate the microphone from the headliner? I see some sort of spacing added in but can't tell from the pictures what it is. Thanks again sir!

Erik,

Thanks for the photos in the email, I just have a few questions that I couldn't glean from them. Did you replace the microphone, or just cut out the circuit board in the picture? If replaced, which microphone did you end up using? How did you isolate the microphone from the headliner? I see some sort of spacing added in but can't tell from the pictures what it is. Thanks again sir!

Thanks for pictures Eric.... I am also curious about exactly what you did? Looks like you just removed the circuit board.

Thanks for pictures Eric.... I am also curious about exactly what you did? Looks like you just removed the circuit board.

I think the circuit board stays where it is. It looks taped over in the pic. Essentially it looks like that microphone has additional legnth of wire to seperate it from the board. Is this correct Eric?

Spiff

• 3 weeks later...

Not yet since the details were pretty slim but I might just have to take the leap of faith one day. Seems like over the last couple of weeks our is returning to its old ways. Makes me think there is something in the software that is trying to do some noise cancellation and gets reset when you update the software.

I know I'm pissed at the poor Bluetooth sounnd/microphone quality but I am not quite ready for dynamite. Lol

I'll try the software update next week and if it doesn't help I will do the mic mod.

Spiff

if the update you are referring to is the latest ford released last month it isn't going to fix the problem.

• 1 month later...

Has anyway taken the leap of faith on this? The wife just called me and I had to hang up because it was so annoying...not her...the back ground noise. Though if I stayed on longer maybe that would have been the case. Got to try to dig up that email I got from Erik and see if it is clear enough to give it a go.

I've used three different phones in my Edge since I purchased the car in December 2010. The BB Strom 2 - all phone calls sound great for both sides. Droid X - noisy, iPhone 4s, my current phone sounds great. So, phones maybe part of the cause.

When I first bought my BB Storm 2 I picked up one of the Blue Ant Bluetooth mic. I couldn't stand the noise and a friend of mine wondered where I called him from; terribly noisy. I returned the mic and picked up a different vendor's bluetooth mic which worked very well with the phone.

I would suggest trying the phone in another car and monitor the results. Hopefully, you find an answer because yes it's an annoying problem.

Edited by rwolson

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone pulled their mic out? I tried to take a quick look at this over the weekend and while the mic pops out of the headliner easy enough the connector doesn't pull through. I tried to feel around but the opening is too small for my sausage fingers. I also tried to pull the edge of the headliner back a bit but noticed that ford doesn't finish the edge of the liner so I really don't want to mess with it unless I know I am in the right spot. So if anyone has removed it please let me know how you got to the conenctor.

• 2 months later...

I think I found a solution. While you are driving on the freeway make a phone call, and during the call you can adjust the volume of the incoming and outgoing conversation by using the radio volume control. You will need to fiddle with it to 'fine tune' to get the ideal volume. This worked for me and vastly improved the quality of the phone calls on both ends.

Try it. We previously had a Mercedes and this trick was in the instruction manual. I cannot find anything in the Ford manuals or on the computer that explains this solution.

• 2 weeks later...

When we took delivery, I had nothing but complaints about the background noise in my calls. I looked online and all through the manual looking for solutions. I was headed to the dealer on the freeway and called them on bluetooth so they could experience the quality of the call. I was put on hold (naturally) and when the muzak from the dealer was playing, I adjusted the volume, using the radio volume knob up a bit, and the muzak sounded a little clearer. When the service dept answered, I fiddled the volume while I was talking to the tech. He said he could hear the difference as I adjusted the volume. I made subsequent calls to others who previously could not tolerate the quality of call and they all reported that the problem was gone. Basically, in my opinion, the volume for phone calls is not tested as the car is built. When customers start making calls in their new car, they probably find that the volume setting is anywhere on the scale. It's a matter of testing up and down with the volume when you are on a call.

Edited by W-edge