I have a 2008 Edge. Spring of last year I had a tail light go out, so I bought some to replace it. When I took off the cover the bulb housing had melted and blackened the socket. Took it to the dealer and was told that the burnt bulb was the wrong size, likely upon delivery it was burnt out and they stuck whatever they had in there. They fixed it, checked the other bulb and everything has been fine until now.

Sunday the opposite bulb burned out so I grabbed a bulb to change it and find that THAT bulb is melted and the socket all black. It works fine with the new bulb but I am curious why this has happened on both sides. Thoughts?

I have a 2008 Edge. Spring of last year I had a tail light go out, so I bought some to replace it. When I took off the cover the bulb housing had melted and blackened the socket. Took it to the dealer and was told that the burnt bulb was the wrong size, likely upon delivery it was burnt out and they stuck whatever they had in there. They fixed it, checked the other bulb and everything has been fine until now.

Sunday the opposite bulb burned out so I grabbed a bulb to change it and find that THAT bulb is melted and the socket all black. It works fine with the new bulb but I am curious why this has happened on both sides. Thoughts?

Seems to be a common Ford problem.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another project that will hopefully soon surface is a hybrid LED & HID Park/Brake light setup. We haven't started on it yet, but it's such a crazy idea, that I doubt announcing it early will cause any other company to steal the idea. An LED halo shaped to the exterior edge of the taillight for nighttime/running/parking lights, and a red HID brake light bulb.

Great idea... If you want to get ass-packed.

Would you care to elaborate? We've done the HIDs in the tails as a test without the LEDs, the brightness is controllable via glare shields placed correctly, but with newly designed lenses in the works, they can be made to run HIDs without blinding people, if that's what you were referring to?

Let's say you find some crazy fast ballasts. The fastest I know of are around 6 seconds. At 60 mph, you're going 88 feet per second. Assuming the other driver has cat-like reflexes, they might take 2 seconds to notice the ignition and warm-up happening, and hit the brakes. That's 176 feet. You just got hit. Additionally, you just got cited with the accident.

If this were even remotely a good idea, you'd be reading about where I did it a year and a half ago.

• Like 1

O.o Yeah, ok, the next vehicle we'll be modding is a 330xi, I'll take a video of the hids we put in there. Just curious though, I've looked at a bunch of the other threads on here about lighting, and from what I've seen, there's alot of myths running around about HIDs and so forth, mostly dealing with color temps, difference between 35w & 50w bulbs, etc. Is everyone using el cheapo $20 HID kits from dirt-floor chinese factories or something??