Transmission shift pattern changing?

wlepse

I did a quick search and didn't find anything that quite matches what I noticed recently. Basically when we first picked up the Edge and right through our recent trip on vacation the tranny always seemed to be smooth and shift appropriately. Last weekend when I was driving it seems like this behavior has changed a bit. I know there is some learning feature to the tranny and I know the wife tends to use the accelerator as an on/off switch but I thought this behavior was strange. What I noticed was that if I accelerate easy to moderately the tranny holds the gear longer than expected but still shifts relatively smooth with no klunks. It feels almost like when you are heading downhill and it downshifts to help engine brake. It seems most pronounced at the 5 to 6 shift; maybe because at that point I am at cruising speed of 50-60, but it will hold 5th for a few seconds longer than it should and a couple times I had to blip the throttle to get it to go to 6th. What is really strange is yesterday I didn't notice this, but it was a short ride. Thoughts?

Never heard of that before. But why would it be transient? I'll have to pay more attention...maybe it was only doing it when teh engine was still relatively cold and the cats aren't as efficeint??

I have noticed my transmission getting more and more rough since I purchased a yr ago. The shifts can really snap a person's neck at times.

I'm taking mine in Monday to have a TSB applied to address problems with the transmission.

Here is the TSB

http://way2evil.com/tsb/tsb11-05-06.pdf

Edited by wilsons66604

Never heard of that before. But why would it be transient? I'll have to pay more attention...maybe it was only doing it when teh engine was still relatively cold and the cats aren't as efficeint??

Might be transient given environmental factors (air temperature, humidity) or vehicle speed. When I had my Contour, it was much more frequent. It was never a transmission issue on that car. I am not saying to rule out the transmission, but I would recommend considering it's an emission related protocol.

• 4 months later...

NatG do you have anymore info on this "throttle over-hang"? It seems to describe my issue well but I can't find anything else about it on the Internet.

I had first read about it on contour.org (hopefully still up, it was another forum) when I had my Ford Contour. Basically, the throttle holds an RPM to burn the remaining air/fuel mixture in the engine to reduce emissions. However, if in this period you decelerate, it will hold out the gear a bit longer than it should.