Reading text messages

I just saw this article: http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/18/tech/innovation/ford-vehicles-read-texts-mashable/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn saying that Ford is adding the text reading capability to 2010 and newer vehicles. But I thought we already had this, no? I could swear I read about it here that some got it to work but that phone support was limited. So is this something new or just Ford trying to promote an update? Either way it is good te hear they have more updates in the pipeline for users to do via USB.

I just saw this article: http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/18/tech/innovation/ford-vehicles-read-texts-mashable/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn saying that Ford is adding the text reading capability to 2010 and newer vehicles. But I thought we already had this, no? I could swear I read about it here that some got it to work but that phone support was limited. So is this something new or just Ford trying to promote an update? Either way it is good te hear they have more updates in the pipeline for users to do via USB.

It appears to be the text back feature that is new with MFT, although that article doesn't say that. Another one does though - looks like they're adding the text back feature to sync on the F-150, Fiesta, Flex, Fusion, Mustang and Taurus without MFT.

Very confusing, but the ability to simply read incoming texts is not new.

The Gen 2 MFT has had this feature...support for MAP protocol.

The news here was that they were updating the Gen 1 Sync to also support MAP. Focus owners will be able to hear text messages read aloud if they have a phone that supports it.

Here is a good article...note the version numbers they are talking about.

I currently have a DroidX cellphone. Back in August when I was still running sync version 2.4 on my MFT, the text messaging feature started working out of the blue. I had made zero changes to my droidx or MFT. It was a nice feature, but could get annoying at times if a lot of twitter text messages were received in a short amount of time. I had to do a hard reset in Sept. on my droidx to fix other issues on the cellphone. Since then the text messaging feature has not worked. It would be nice to figure out what was making it work. Now that I have updated the sync version on the MFT to 2.1 I might never know.

I currently have a DroidX cellphone. Back in August when I was still running sync version 2.4 on my MFT, the text messaging feature started working out of the blue. I had made zero changes to my droidx or MFT. It was a nice feature, but could get annoying at times if a lot of twitter text messages were received in a short amount of time. I had to do a hard reset in Sept. on my droidx to fix other issues on the cellphone. Since then the text messaging feature has not worked. It would be nice to figure out what was making it work. Now that I have updated the sync version on the MFT to 2.1 I might never know.

Go to the settings for the bluetooth device in MFT. there should be a setting to turn on text messaging. MFT tells me that my iPhone is not compatible when I try it.

Go into BT settings in your phone and see if there is an advanced menu.

Text messaging was working fine on v2.4 then MFT decided not to work anymore. Got the system updated to v2.11 by the dealer and the phone was re-paired at that time. My first couple of text messages came through but not since then. Frustrating for sure, I don't have the time for this nonsense. I would still sell it back if they offered. Anyone else with this problem? Any suggestions?

Go into BT settings in your phone and see if there is an advanced menu.

I have not been able to locate the advanced menu for the BT settings on the droidx. I remember having one for my old phone (BB storm). From my previous post, I made zero changes to MFT or the droidx and the text messaging started working out of the blue for about a month. Not an end of the world event for me, but just curious as to what it was that made it work then not work.

I have not been able to locate the advanced menu for the BT settings on the droidx. I remember having one for my old phone (BB storm). From my previous post, I made zero changes to MFT or the droidx and the text messaging started working out of the blue for about a month. Not an end of the world event for me, but just curious as to what it was that made it work then not work.

I ask because my experience with getting it to read messages recently included an advanced menu. But I'm on a custom ROM with Android 2.3.4 as the base.

I had to allow messaging access (for sending sms) and the FTP service (for reading sms)