22" Sport FWD Tires

Bluebuddah9

I used to have a problem - 22" wheels Pirelli Tires (The worst ever made!) - Dealer put Nitrogen in my tires - lasted for a while - but bam - Low Pressure Light came on again. The Pirelli's they put on the Sport FWD SUCK! The are rated 1 star out of 5 and the vibration is horrible!!!! I did some extensive research and was gonna get new rims (18" and thicker tires to match) - but then I did just tire research. Yokohama Aztec tires - look at them on their website - they are rated 4 1/2 stars and they are for everything! Got them put on at 26K - Pirelli can have their tires back - and WOW what a difference that made. I have yet to put on the Traction control even when it rains. And I was always having to use it cus I felt like I was floating all the time. Now I actually feel like my tires are hugging the road - and guess what - the tires are the same exact price!

Pirelli tires are used for racing and only racing - this is why the won the bid when Ford called for tires for their Sport models. Take my advice to heart - I drive my Sport everyday and put my family in it everyday - It had gotten to the point that I wanted to get rid of it - but now I don't - now I feel safe. Ford should recall all of those tires on the Sport model and put Yokohama Aztec's on all of them!

Hope this helps

• Like 1

I read up on the Pirelli Scorpions on the 20" rims and they had good reviews for performance and snow. I have been unhappy with the Michelins I have on my 18" rims now. Maneuvering in the snow is really tough so I went with the 20's with the Pirellis on the new one (if that is what they are putting on the 12's). Are the 22" rim tires Scorpions also? Does anyone have bad feelings toward the tires on the 20" rims?

I read up on the Pirelli Scorpions on the 20" rims and they had good reviews for performance and snow. I have been unhappy with the Michelins I have on my 18" rims now. Maneuvering in the snow is really tough so I went with the 20's with the Pirellis on the new one (if that is what they are putting on the 12's). Are the 22" rim tires Scorpions also? Does anyone have bad feelings toward the tires on the 20" rims?

Yes they are - Ford put Pirelli Scorpion Zero's on all the Sport Models that have 22" rims. Pirelli tires are used for racing not for everyday driving and definitely not snow. Michelin tires are not rated that great either (but that is for 22" as well - as this is what I was researching). You can read up on anyone with 22's and they all have the same problem - and it is NOT because of the rims - it is the tires. I spoke with a guy who strictly deals with tire problems - and a 22" rim is not going to change the drivability of a tire (the tire should not be loosing pressure just because it is sitting on a 22" rim) and yet this is the only thing that Ford itself can come back with. I have been dealing with this issue for over a year now and realized it is/was the tire.

Yes they are - Ford put Pirelli Scorpion Zero's on all the Sport Models that have 22" rims. Pirelli tires are used for racing not for everyday driving and definitely not snow. Michelin tires are not rated that great either (but that is for 22" as well - as this is what I was researching). You can read up on anyone with 22's and they all have the same problem - and it is NOT because of the rims - it is the tires. I spoke with a guy who strictly deals with tire problems - and a 22" rim is not going to change the drivability of a tire (the tire should not be loosing pressure just because it is sitting on a 22" rim) and yet this is the only thing that Ford itself can come back with. I have been dealing with this issue for over a year now and realized it is/was the tire.

So you are saying that I will likely be unhappy with the Scorps on 20" rims also? Or will a little more sidewall make them better over your 22's? I went to tirerack.com and read a ton of reviews on these tires and there was a lot of good feedback so I hope I am not going to regret it. The negative was that they only last 30k or so but I'm not worried, my 2008 Edge just turned 30k miles so if I have to buy tires in three years I can deal with that.

I've read a few comments where some users had issues with the Scorpions and that they wouldn't balance correctly. But as with everything, people only post when something goes wrong. I've had no issues after 40,000KM (I have dedicated snows, so about 25+K have been on the Scorpions (Sport 22's) and still 10/32ths on all 4, I have noticed I need to check the pressure at least once a month, but I also do approx 5-6000KM a month, so I don't see this as an issue. In a month I've seen 2-3 lbs drop, but that isn't too far out. If you look it up, you normally lose 1-2 a month. When you say "lasted a while" what was "a while", also Nitrogen is just a trendy gimmick. Plain old air contains approx 80% nitrogen, so you're not really gaining anything, it still seeps out, perhaps a bit slower, but it does.

With regards to traction. I live in Southern Ontario, I've had these out in some pretty good snow and they are not that bad, I was actually impressed. But... Nothing beats dedicated snow tires if you have that concern. I have 18" Bridgestone Blizzaks for my winters and you'd swear these things had glue on them. If you compare the best performance tire to the worst snow, you'll still be better off with the snow...in snow. I also have no issues at all with the Scorpions in the rain. In a year, I've only had ABS kick in once/twice (not including snow) and I actually expected it to and they never spin as hard as I try. :devil:

1010tires rates the Scorpions at 4.3/5

Tirerack rates them at 7.5/10

I'm not sure where you've seen all of the bad reviews, where did you find 1/5?.

Pirelli also makes some really good snow tires I had the "Winter Carving Edge" on my old Nissan Rogue AWD and these were great! So they are not just "Racing" tires.

As I mentioned above, a FEW others have also reported your issue, but I think it may have been a bad batch or something, perhaps a quality control issue?? I'm quite sure you've had the issues you've described, but most users don't share the same experience/feeling on these tires. I'm more then happy with them.

I absolutely love my 22" pirellis. I guess I'm the minority here? I liked how they charged through the snow last winter, think they have great wet and dry weather traction, and above all they have very little highway sizzle (the high speed tire noise) so I love em. But to each their own. Ford was able to fix my pressure problems by dismounting my tires, cleaning the tire bead and the rim surface and remounting the tires.

I absolutely love my 22" pirellis. I guess I'm the minority here? I liked how they charged through the snow last winter, think they have great wet and dry weather traction, and above all they have very little highway sizzle (the high speed tire noise) so I love em. But to each their own. Ford was able to fix my pressure problems by dismounting my tires, cleaning the tire bead and the rim surface and remounting the tires.

I'm with ya, I love em. They're pretty good in snow...for a non snow tire. I won't panic if I'm late getting my snows on.

Did they do the remount under warranty? Did they also re-balance?

I love my pirellis as well. They havent been through a winter yet but i dont expect much from them at all and hope to get some dedicated winter wheels and tires. In wet and dry so far the stock tires have been awsome even with my agressive driving. They are also nice and quiet and much smoother than i would expect a 40 series tire on 22" wheels to ever be.

Happy with the 20" Pirelli's too, for the early going at least. Did a decently long road trip on 'em this past week and I noted how quiet they were for highway cruising, and were very stable in some heavy rain/snow we encountered on one stretch. Going with a set of dedicated snow tires/winter wheels too, but I do live in Canada after all and we have some real winters up here LOL.