brake and rotor recommendation?

wpack98

I have a 2007 Edge with 45k miles and getting a vibration while braking. I appears to be a rotor issue and the condition is getting worse. I may be able to get the stock ones turned or replaced but I feel pretty confident that I will run into the same problem down the road. Does anyone have a recommendation on non-OEM rotors and/or brakes? I'm interested in a moderately priced upgrade without braking the bank (no pun intended).

Thanks,

Scott

I have a 2007 Edge with 45k miles and getting a vibration while braking. I appears to be a rotor issue and the condition is getting worse. I may be able to get the stock ones turned or replaced but I feel pretty confident that I will run into the same problem down the road. Does anyone have a recommendation on non-OEM rotors and/or brakes? I'm interested in a moderately priced upgrade without braking the bank (no pun intended).

Thanks,

Scott

Let me go ahead and fix this nicely for you (before Akirby gets ya). If you mean no pun, then you should spell it "breaking" (destroying) the bank as opposed to "braking" (stopping) the bank.

OK

[/wannabemod-mode]

Currently, I don't know of any real upgrades in the aftermarket that won't break your bank.

Personally, I would get stock rotors for as cheap as I can find and get some company to slot and coat them and cryogenically treat them. I would expect to pay a couple hundred more than a standard set of rotors, but they will last much longer and resist cracking and warping.

Thanks,

Scott

Warped rotors are usually caused by improper torque on the lug nuts. Most likely, whoever rotated the tires is where your problem started. You may be able to cure most of the vibration by torquing the lug nuts properly to 100 ft/lbs.

I always like to use Raybestos Blues or Wagner Thermo-quiets. They are both very good over-the-counter pads and don't dust. Not sure what rotors to use on the heavy Edge. Back when I had a Taurus, cheap rotors with really good pads were the ticket but the Edge is a different animal plus the pre 2011 brakes are horrible.