Ford Reliability

JackW

Hi everyone,

I am planning to but Ford Edge, acctually I made my decision to buy Edge and already fill the order forms in the dealer office.

But few days ago, someone told me about a new report from Consuper Report that is saying that Ford reliability slips, I think that particulaty the report mention problems with MyFord Touch system.

Could anyone tell me something about that ?

The last think I wand is to but unreliable car. I don't have the time and money for that.

attached one of the links onto this report:

http://www.tirebusiness.com/subscriber/headlines2.phtml?cat=1319641003&headline=Ford%92s+reliability+stumbles%2C+Jeep+rises+in+%3Ci%3EConsumer+Reports%3C%2Fi%3E%92+survey&id=1319723197

Thank you,

Jack

Hi everyone,

I am planning to but Ford Edge, acctually I made my decision to buy Edge and already fill the order forms in the dealer office.

But few days ago, someone told me about a new report from Consuper Report that is saying that Ford reliability slips, I think that particulaty the report mention problems with MyFord Touch system.

Could anyone tell me something about that ?

The last think I wand is to but unreliable car. I don't have the time and money for that.

attached one of the links onto this report:

http://www.tirebusiness.com/subscriber/headlines2.phtml?cat=1319641003&headline=Ford%92s+reliability+stumbles%2C+Jeep+rises+in+%3Ci%3EConsumer+Reports%3C%2Fi%3E%92+survey&id=1319723197

Thank you,

Jack

There are several threads already posted over the last year, but the latest release has been reported to fix most of the problems. An entirely new version written by a different development team will be ready within a few months so any remaining problems should be fixed by then. Worst case it may freeze or reboot occasionally - it's not going to leave you stranded anywhere.

I haven't read the reports but have heard that the majority of the issues they had were with the MFT. With that said as Akirby mentioned there are many updates that have been provided, some report better operation on 2.11. For me this isn't the case but as he mentioned the vehicle still runs but if you rely on nav or other functions controlled by MFT you could be out of luck. I also believe Akirby confirmed that the 2013's are getting the same hardware that was installed in in previous generations so any upgrades should work. As for cost, Ford would have to provide them under warranty. After that period no one knows.

Does it mean that the problems Consumer Report raised in their report are solely related to the MyTouch System ?

Does the new version is something that old cars will be able to recieve ? how ? will it cost ?

Thank you.

It's mostly MFT and complaints about the dry clutch DSG in the Fiesta and Fusion. A lot of the complaints are valid but some are just unfamiliarity with new technology.

Could you please tell what are the issues with MFT ?

Thank you.

Trying to be fair and including the disclaimer that not all people are having problems,also that problems are intermittent, here is my story:

Bought the car in October of 2010 with version 1.8 of MFT.

I have had it upgraded to 3 newer versions, and have had 2.11 for a couple of months. I have also had the module replaced, but still problems.

Regularly takes at least a minute and a half after I start the car for Sync to work. Several times 3 minutes.

Phone will show as connected. Incoming call rings on the phone but not on MFT. I fish the phone out of my pocket and answer the call and I can then speak through the car bluetooth.

Navigation map is black. the icons appear around the edges, but no map

While driving, the main screen has gone black for a minute, then I get the famed "System Maintenance" reboot.

When I start the car, the radio is on a different station than when I turned it off.

Some of my presets are blank on the screen, although they still exist, and when I touch the blank spot it goes to that station.

When I start the car I get a navigation card error message.

I press the steering wheel button to hang up phone and it goes into privacy mode.

My efforts have included taking photos and videos of the problems, keeping all documentation, and escalating the matter.

Ford has issued a few Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) 2 in July alone, so they know they have a problem. I also recently got an email from my dealer that they got from Ford, subject "EFC00864DC MyFord and MyLincoln Touch October Update"

So I have had problems from day 1, others have had problems to some extent or another, Ford knows of the problems and has been working to address the problems (to what extent owners think they have been successful in their efforts is your opinion) with my summary view that they released MFT too early, and they have created a lot of ill will with owners, not just with Edge but other Fords with MFT.

• Like 1

2.11 is the newest available, but my service manager told me that sometime in early spring 2012 an entirely new ground up re write will be available from the dealership network. I wouldn't worry too much as most of the worst problems were experienced by us early adopters who bought out trucks as soon as they landed at dealerships. There have been many bug fixes over the last year which made MFT more stable and quicker acting.

Trying to be fair and including the disclaimer that not all people are having problems,also that problems are intermittent, here is my story:

Bought the car in October of 2010 with version 1.8 of MFT.

I have had it upgraded to 3 newer versions, and have had 2.11 for a couple of months. I have also had the module replaced, but still problems.

Regularly takes at least a minute and a half after I start the car for Sync to work. Several times 3 minutes.

Phone will show as connected. Incoming call rings on the phone but not on MFT. I fish the phone out of my pocket and answer the call and I can then speak through the car bluetooth.

Navigation map is black. the icons appear around the edges, but no map

While driving, the main screen has gone black for a minute, then I get the famed "System Maintenance" reboot.

When I start the car, the radio is on a different station than when I turned it off.

Some of my presets are blank on the screen, although they still exist, and when I touch the blank spot it goes to that station.

When I start the car I get a navigation card error message.

I press the steering wheel button to hang up phone and it goes into privacy mode.

My efforts have included taking photos and videos of the problems, keeping all documentation, and escalating the matter.

Ford has issued a few Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) 2 in July alone, so they know they have a problem. I also recently got an email from my dealer that they got from Ford, subject "EFC00864DC MyFord and MyLincoln Touch October Update"

So I have had problems from day 1, others have had problems to some extent or another, Ford knows of the problems and has been working to address the problems (to what extent owners think they have been successful in their efforts is your opinion) with my summary view that they released MFT too early, and they have created a lot of ill will with owners, not just with Edge but other Fords with MFT.

This is EXACTLY my story as well... except I purchased mine in November 2010 with 1.8, but EVERYTHING else is identical to my experience. Still, having said all of that, I LOVE my Sport, and I am glad I made the purchase. I will be happy once those bugs are fixed, but those bugs do not overshadow the rest of the enjoyment the vehicle provides. It did take a bit of the fun out of the new car experience, but when you purchase bleeding edge technology... well that's what one must put up with.

• 1 month later...

If I would buy Ford Edge today would the MFT will come with these known problems ?

What is the version of the MFT if I buy Edge today ?

Thank you.

Jack

Jack, since about July 25, 2011, all Edge, Explorer and Focuses with MyFord Touch have been delivered with the newest software. The software is a response to the TSBs about customer problems. The upgrade helps, but Ford intends to send all Edge, Explorer and Focus owners with MyFord Touch a new operating system. Check with your dealer for more information - I've heard release is set for January 2012. I know many people have had issues but many of those issues were phone or cellphone carrier related...

I know many people have had issues but many of those issues were phone or cellphone carrier related...

Actually, I would say that it was just the opposite. The issue is primarily that MFT was a poorly written, badly implemented software release that failed to meet a majority of the consumers' expectations. On top of that, Ford's marketing machine continued to churn out the hype around it which was like rubbing salt in an open wound.

In my opinion, they deserve all the bad press and any lost sales (current and future) as a result.

I know many people have had issues but many of those issues were phone or cellphone carrier related...

Not quite true. While some issues may be phone/carrier related the majority are bugs in the system itself. For instance my wifes phone will pair 80% of the time on 2.11 it was around 98% on 2.8. But what I have noticed is that when there are issues with the phone there is something else going wrong with the software because soon enough everything goes to crap. Just this past weekend we started off and the MFT was working great, then after a restart we got our first reboot. Then crashed again after switching audio sources then seemed OK until we received a call and couldn't hear the other person. The next morning it was fine, like nothing happened but unfortunately returned to crashing the following day.

So to your point from what I have seen and read hear it seems the issues with phones/carriers seems to be that some functions don't work properly like displaying contact photos.