2012 finally got here

igcitng

My new Edge finally arrived late last week after waiting three months for it. First a hurricane destroys the carpet plant and then it finally gets here and is damaged. Hole through the back bumper and paint chipped on the tailgate. When I found it I about had a stroke. Tailgate is malfunctioning also. They missed it upon delivery, did not catch it during the delivery inspection. It also sat for two days before I could pick it up. I told them repair is not an option so they are ordering me a new one. Who knows what else is wrong under there and I certainly am not paying for a redone bumper. So far so good except now they want to take money off of my trade when the new new one comes in. I am so frustrated with this. When I ordered it a mistake was made and it cost me extra. They offered me a rebate that did not apply in error. They met me halfway on that so I went ahead with the order. Now this. Any thoughts on them wanting to take $500.00 off my trade after all of this?

Why would they want to take 500 off the trade?

Because it's several months older with more mileage........

It does make sense even if it wasn't your fault that it got delayed that long. In the end she needs to determine if it's better to start over at another dealer or stick this one out.

Real sorry to hear about it. Re the $500, I'd stand my ground on that one - it's not your fault you're having to wait longer, and so they should eat the extra depreciation. If they don't, well I know what it's like when you have your mind set on a particular vehicle, but sometimes you may have to walk away. And it's a buyer's market out there with a lot of nice rides to pick from. Or other Ford dealers maybe for that matter.

That is what they said. However considering my trouble you would think that they could let it go. They make a bunch extra money selling an ordered car. They probobly think they have me because another dealer is not going to overpay me for my trade either. They also told me that they are not required to get me a new car which I do not actually believe. I am still within the time limit to chargeback the down payment on my credit card so that is good news. I am never ordering a car again.

Sorry to hear about your negative experience. Consider this though... any one of the 'new' cars on the lot could have been damaged in the same way your was, then repaired. You, as a consumer, would never know. So, sold order or stock unit - it's a crap shoot either way.

I realize that. They did tell me that they are required to disclose repairs. If they had found it instead of me hard to say if they would have fixed it and tried to pass it by me. I just don't know. It has been frustrating on top of a rough year so I'm probobly taking it harder than I normally would or someone else would. But I will say that I totally feel like I am being kicked while I am down. The owner has an endless supply of expensive and priceless cars to change out and decorate the lobby of the dealership with but let's squeeze another $500.00 out of the chick that ordered a car in good faith and by no fault of my own doesn't have it after three months. Even in 6 weeks or so my trade will have half or less the miles of any other 2008 out there for sale. And it is still under warranty until Feb 2012.

Edited by igcitng

They also told me that they are not required to get me a new car which I do not actually believe.

Actually that's correct. They don't have to get you a new car. They don't have to sell you one at all.

BUT - you also don't have to take a car that you don't want and they're not allowed to keep your deposit.

I would suggest checking a price at another dealer (including trade-in) so you know whether you can call their bluff on the trade-in.

I agree they should probably eat it but that's their decision.

I would suggest checking a price at another dealer (including trade-in) so you know whether you can call their bluff on the trade-in.

I agree they should probably eat it but that's their decision.

I would agree but before you start shopping around make sure you have the VIN of the damaged vehicle. If you go to another dealer they may try to tell you they have one on order that meets your build and just wait for this one to be fixed. Not all dealers are sketchy but it is worth checking to protect yourself.

As a side note. Does anyone know if paint would still be covered by Ford if work was done? Or does it have to go back to the company that did the repairs? Also would this repair show on a CarFax or similar report since there would be an insurance claim?

Here is the update. I went in last night to get my checks back and discuss the increase. The GM for some reason was under the impression that they had taken an $1100.00 loss on the deal. I straightened him out very quickly on how I took the loss on it. When I ordered the car I was told I had $2500.00 in rebates. Got a call Monday morning to tell me that it was a mistake, that I only get $1000.00. They came down $500.00 and I added $1000.00 to the cost. When I explained that to him and showed him the original write up he changed his tune. So the way it was left is he is going to call Ford to see what the ETA is on an order. Said that they take two weeks at T-giving and two weeks at Christmas so possibly looking at a long wait. If it gets here this year he would leave the trade if it comes next year he would have to reevaluate. He offered to let me out of the deal. The sister dealer of the place I got my 2008 at offered to beat any deal they give me and sent me a coupon for an extra $500.00 on my trade. So I have options but I am getting very weary of the whole situation.

I would agree but before you start shopping around make sure you have the VIN of the damaged vehicle. If you go to another dealer they may try to tell you they have one on order that meets your build and just wait for this one to be fixed. Not all dealers are sketchy but it is worth checking to protect yourself.

As a side note. Does anyone know if paint would still be covered by Ford if work was done? Or does it have to go back to the company that did the repairs? Also would this repair show on a CarFax or similar report since there would be an insurance claim?

I do have the vin, they issued it to me a few weeks after I ordered it. I have a printout of the sticker. Actually, I have the original from the car too. They gave it to me when I got there and I forgot to give it back.

If it was damaged in transit then Ford does the repair and it's all covered. In fact these types of repairs happen all the time both at the factory and at the dealership and the customer is none the wiser.

If it was damaged in transit then Ford does the repair and it's all covered. In fact these types of repairs happen all the time both at the factory and at the dealership and the customer is none the wiser.

Understood. I could not spend this kind of money and be reminded everyday that it was repaired. Also, the tailgate was malfunctioning so hard to know how much other damage was done.

I don't necessarily agree with the $500 but I would make the agreement to take the KBB value lost during that time period.

So, take the KBB value of your car now and when you trade in. Agree to pay them, at most, the difference (since that was your portion of depreciation).

Good idea, thanks.

Said that they take two weeks at T-giving and two weeks at Christmas so possibly looking at a long wait. If it gets here this year he would leave the trade if it comes next year he would have to reevaluate.

The Edge is built in Canada, Canadian Thanksgiving was a month ago and the plant gets one day off. Even the US plants only get two days for Thanksgiving. However it still is unlikely to get a delivery by the end of the year, given that things are a bit backed up due to the carpet shortage.

The Edge is built in Canada, Canadian Thanksgiving was a month ago and the plant gets one day off. Even the US plants only get two days for Thanksgiving. However it still is unlikely to get a delivery by the end of the year, given that things are a bit backed up due to the carpet shortage.

I guess it shows what that guy knows.

I guess it shows what that guy knows.

We got our vehicle as well. Our experience from a dealership/salesperson view was so different than yours! They bent over backwards to keep us informed every step of the way. We did change dealerships this time however. Our new vehicle is everything we expected with no flaws. Even sync works well (touch wood!), and after reading all the negative comments we were a little apprehensive! Our son-in-law says maybe its a generational thing, we're older so our expectations of "technology" aren't as great as younger people...lol! However, we feel for you, our orders must have been input fairly close, our trade-ins the same age Edge, so our wait and expectation of quality was/is the same. We also said in the midst of all this that we would never order another vehicle, however, upon looking at it, we're very specific in our "don't wants"...ie leather seats, panaramic roof and very specific in our wants. We hope you get the vehicle you want with a better experience. The worst feeling is that you're getting screwed and it sounds like you would be at your original dealer. Good luck! :shift:

We got our vehicle as well. Our experience from a dealership/salesperson view was so different than yours! They bent over backwards to keep us informed every step of the way. We did change dealerships this time however. Our new vehicle is everything we expected with no flaws. Even sync works well (touch wood!), and after reading all the negative comments we were a little apprehensive! Our son-in-law says maybe its a generational thing, we're older so our expectations of "technology" aren't as great as younger people...lol! However, we feel for you, our orders must have been input fairly close, our trade-ins the same age Edge, so our wait and expectation of quality was/is the same. We also said in the midst of all this that we would never order another vehicle, however, upon looking at it, we're very specific in our "don't wants"...ie leather seats, panaramic roof and very specific in our wants. We hope you get the vehicle you want with a better experience. The worst feeling is that you're getting screwed and it sounds like you would be at your original dealer. Good luck! :shift:

Quick update. Thank you Woodie for the info, greatly appreciated and so glad you had a good experience. The dealer ordered me a new one and am told that Ford said it would be built fast. They are also not changing my trade. I told them Monday nite that I am looking around for one. Guess that worked. Don't know, his tone changed a lot Tuesday when I talked to him. My credit card told me that I can reverse the down payment charge any time. Clock does not start ticking on the chargeback until I get a vehicle. Ford's website shows a vehicle at another dealer that I am crazy about, however they do not have it so guessing it is in transit. Wodie, maybe your guy can help with that. :)