Cold Brakes?

adamjosiah

So I have a Ford Edge AWD SEL '07, which I bought in the summer so I had no indication of this when I first got it. However as the weather got increasingly colder, I started to notice it. Basically, whenever it's been sitting in the cold or the rain for a couple hours or more, when I back-up (and occasionally when I'm braking forward) the breaks squeal, sometimes quite loudly. Almost instantly after I start driving the brakes stop squealing completely, forward or backward, and won't start again until the vehicle has been sitting for a while. But it is quite annoying when I back out of the drive way in the morning, or out of a parking spot and I hear the horrible squealing again.

As for the functioning of the breaks, there's no problems at all. There nice and firm and reasonably sensitive. Any ideas what might cause this? Is there a brake pad coating of some kind that can solve this?

As your car sits, especially when it's damp or raining outside, a very thin layer of corrosion will form on your rotors. The squealing you hear is just the pads cleaning off the rotors' braking surface. Once the layer of corrosion is gone it stops squealing. This is completely normal behavior.

So I have a Ford Edge AWD SEL '07, which I bought in the summer so I had no indication of this when I first got it. However as the weather got increasingly colder, I started to notice it. Basically, whenever it's been sitting in the cold or the rain for a couple hours or more, when I back-up (and occasionally when I'm braking forward) the breaks squeal, sometimes quite loudly. Almost instantly after I start driving the brakes stop squealing completely, forward or backward, and won't start again until the vehicle has been sitting for a while. But it is quite annoying when I back out of the drive way in the morning, or out of a parking spot and I hear the horrible squealing again.

As for the functioning of the breaks, there's no problems at all. There nice and firm and reasonably sensitive. Any ideas what might cause this? Is there a brake pad coating of some kind that can solve this?

Hi adamjosiah. :D What mrdave stated. It is simply a thin layer of surface rust on the steel rotors. It is wiped of by the brake pads the first one or two times you apply the brakes (figured I would save you the trouble this time, Allen :banghead::hysterical: ). Completely normal and nothing that can or should be done about it.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

• 2 weeks later...

I just started hearing the "noise" over the weekend. Short of changing the rotors this is something I have to live with from this vehicle? '08 Edge Limited AWD

Doing a few hard stops every once in a while might reduce the noise. Sometimes the noise comes from the back of the pad where the piston contacts it - you can remove the pads and apply squeal stop to the back of the pads and reinstall them - may or may not help.

Doing a few hard stops every once in a while might reduce the noise. Sometimes the noise comes from the back of the pad where the piston contacts it - you can remove the pads and apply squeal stop to the back of the pads and reinstall them - may or may not help.

What they might be hearing, depending on mileage on the vehicle, is the brake pad warning squeal--- caused by pads that have worn down to the "replace" limit--- If the noise goes away when applying the brakes, the wear indicators are the problem. May be time to replace pads!

What they might be hearing, depending on mileage on the vehicle, is the brake pad warning squeal--- caused by pads that have worn down to the "replace" limit--- If the noise goes away when applying the brakes, the wear indicators are the problem. May be time to replace pads!

I was under the impression that those were no longer used. Are they?

• 2 years later...

Mine is doing this now, was it just decided it was during cold and wet times it makes this noise? When I drive it for a while or after it warms up it does not make it.

That is correct. Very common problem on the Edge. Also, check your brake fluid level in the reservoir. If it is substantially less than the full (MAX) mark, your brakes are also substantially worn out.

What is the expected life of brake pads these days? On my GM vehicles I was under the impression I shouldn't have to replace the pads until close to 100K. Brakes on the MKX have always felt good and not made any sounds except here lately when its really cold and wet or one of the two.