TSB 11-8-2

Pete K

• 1 month later...

I just experienced this same problem but thanks to the TSB from Pete K. my 2007 Ford Edge was fixed. Big Valley Ford in Stockton, CA took great care of me. I had 74,000 miles on my car and this report, including the 8yr./ 80,000 warranty made my car whole again. I had the PCM, plugs (6) and coils (6) replaced at no charge. The staff at BVF took such care of me I have no complaints at all. I have owned a Ford for 11 years now, Escape, 7 years and now my Edge for 4 and I am extremely satisfied. Thank you again Pete K., you are "The Man".

I just experienced this same problem but thanks to the TSB from Pete K. my 2007 Ford Edge was fixed. Big Valley Ford in Stockton, CA took great care of me. I had 74,000 miles on my car and this report, including the 8yr./ 80,000 warranty made my car whole again. I had the PCM, plugs (6) and coils (6) replaced at no charge. The staff at BVF took such care of me I have no complaints at all. I have owned a Ford for 11 years now, Escape, 7 years and now my Edge for 4 and I am extremely satisfied. Thank you again Pete K., you are "The Man".

Very glad to help. Unfortunately, I was denied, and wound up spending something like $1400 or $1500 out of pocket to do mine myself.

Although you are the only person to date to reply to this thread, I have received 11 inquiries on my vrodpete@msn.com email for a copy of the TSB.

10 have replied back that the document saved them a boatload of money.

Not sure if the 11th guy was denied, or just did not reply back with info.

Once shafted by my dealer, my main focus was to try to keep this "selective warranty situation" from happening to others.

The only upside for me is that the pcm reflash (needed to make the brand new PCM work) did correct alot of the poor transmission shift qualities that were annoying since new.

Very glad to help. Unfortunately, I was denied, and wound up spending something like $1400 or $1500 out of pocket to do mine myself.

Although you are the only person to date to reply to this thread, I have received 11 inquiries on my vrodpete@msn.com email for a copy of the TSB.

10 have replied back that the document saved them a boatload of money.

Not sure if the 11th guy was denied, or just did not reply back with info.

Once shafted by my dealer, my main focus was to try to keep this "selective warranty situation" from happening to others.

The only upside for me is that the pcm reflash (needed to make the brand new PCM work) did correct alot of the poor transmission shift qualities that were annoying since new.

I have noticed that the "transmission thump" seems to have been corrected with the new PCM as well (crossing my fingers). I have viewed other threads on this forum and it does appear that a lot of folks on here are having the thumping issue..maybe it may the first sign of the PCM going out. Thank you again.

Everybody I've seen has had theirs fixed under warranty no questions asked except you. There is something you're not telling us or your dealer isn't telling you.

Everybody I've seen has had theirs fixed under warranty no questions asked except you. There is something you're not telling us or your dealer isn't telling you.

You have expressed your opinion in the other thread as well.

It doesnt matter at this point, and I don't have the time or resources to debate the chain of events I was present for. That isn't what this thread is about.

If I had this info at my disposal (TSB) before I was denyed, I am near sure my results would have been quite different.

Moving forward, I hope to help as many people as I can, not be taken advantage of by a less than honest dealer.

Every post helps move it closer to the top of the list in a google or bing search.

Edited by Pete K
  • Like 1

You have expressed your opinion in the other thread as well.

It doesnt matter at this point, and I don't have the time or resources to debate the chain of events I was present for. That isn't what this thread is about.

If I had this info at my disposal (TSB) before I was denyed, I am near sure my results would have been quite different.

Moving forward, I hope to help as many people as I can, not be taken advantage of by a less than honest dealer.

Every post helps move it closer to the top of the list in a google or bing search.

Sorry - I thought when you said "selective warranty" you were referring to Ford but I see now you were referring to the dealer. My mistake.

• 4 weeks later...

I too have been denied coverage under anything but the 3yr/36,000 mile warrant to fix the coil issue. I have talked to 2 dealerships and both said the same thing, NOT COVERED. I'm curious how everyone is getting this problem covered? I know GM and I think Chrysler have 100,000 mile limited warranties on their vehicles but from what I understood Ford only has the 36,000 mile warranty so I really never questioned it. I even told the service department where I bought the vehicle that I had the TSB and she said that was just to tell the technicians the steps to fix the problem and not any sort of warranty coverage. And today I called another Ford dealership and asked the cost of fixing just one coil and she then told me about the TSB and said all coils, plugs, and computer had to be replaced and it was not covered under warranty. On top of that she even admitted that she has seen it before with this model Edge. I'm at a loss. We have only had the car for almost 2 years and this happens. Wow. I don't think I will buy another Ford, so it looks like I'll have to convince my wife that even though Ford didn't take a government bailout (which is why we went with Ford for both our vehicles) that we should stick with what we've had the most luck with or try a Dodge this time.

Edited by SuperJudge

I too have been denied coverage under anything but the 3yr/36,000 mile warrant to fix the coil issue. I have talked to 2 dealerships and both said the same thing, NOT COVERED. I'm curious how everyone is getting this problem covered? I know GM and I think Chrysler have 100,000 mile limited warranties on their vehicles but from what I understood Ford only has the 36,000 mile warranty so I really never questioned it. I even told the service department where I bought the vehicle that I had the TSB and she said that was just to tell the technicians the steps to fix the problem and not any sort of warranty coverage. And today I called another Ford dealership and asked the cost of fixing just one coil and she then told me about the TSB and said all coils, plugs, and computer had to be replaced and it was not covered under warranty. On top of that she even admitted that she has seen it before with this model Edge. I'm at a loss. We have only had the car for almost 2 years and this happens. Wow. I don't think I will buy another Ford, so it looks like I'll have to convince my wife that even though Ford didn't take a government bailout (which is why we went with Ford for both our vehicles) that we should stick with what we've had the most luck with or try a Dodge this time.

They are correct that it's not covered by the powertrain warranty but the PCM is most definitely covered by the emissions warranty with is 8 yrs/80K miles. I think the key is identifying the PCM as the root cause and the coils as secondary damage. Have you tried calling Ford directly? My guess is this is just a dealer interpretation issue or like Pete's case there is something else going on that we don't know about.

If your saying that there may be something I am not telling you, it would be that I had a local repair shop meet my wife where she was broke down and he brought his diagnostic tool reader and the codes showed a bad coil and some other codes he couldn't identify. Other than that, besides her being broke down 40 miles from any Ford dealership in a storm and the owner of the local shop happened to be a friend who came out after hours to help, there is nothing else to explain. Now if you were suggesting that the 2 dealerships I contacted are not telling the whole story with this particular problem, I cannot speak to that. I will however call Ford Motor Company tomorrow and tell them what happened and what I have done before contacting them as a last resort.

Edited by SuperJudge

If your saying that there may be something I am not telling you, it would be that I had a local repair shop meet my wife where she was broke down and he brought his diagnostic tool reader and the codes showed a bad coil and some other codes he couldn't identify. Other than that, besides her being broke down 40 miles from any Ford dealership in a storm and the owner of the local shop happened to be a friend who came out after hours to help, there is nothing else to explain. Now if you were suggesting that the 2 dealerships I contacted are not telling the whole story with this particular problem, I cannot speak to that. I will however call Ford Motor Company tomorrow and tell them what happened and what I have done before contacting them as a last resort.

1-800-392-3673 Ford Customer Assistance

without having been to the nearest dealership, there is VERY little they can do for you. Regardless of reputation, tools, knowledge, or anything else the vehicle HAS to be diagnosed at a Ford dealership.

Not telling you not to call Ford, in fact i strongly encourage contacting Ford, ESPECIALLY, if you have a bad experience at any dealership. But if you have a repair issue please take it to a dealer before you call them. It'll save you a good half hour or longer

1-800-392-3673 Ford Customer Assistance

without having been to the nearest dealership, there is VERY little they can do for you. Regardless of reputation, tools, knowledge, or anything else the vehicle HAS to be diagnosed at a Ford dealership.

Not telling you not to call Ford, in fact i strongly encourage contacting Ford, ESPECIALLY, if you have a bad experience at any dealership. But if you have a repair issue please take it to a dealer before you call them. It'll save you a good half hour or longer

Based on my experience, this will yield nothing.

You will speak to someone who does not know what a PCM or coil is, then they will explain it is not under warranty (thus supporting their dealer).

When you ask to advance the complaint process, or speak to a higher authority, they will tell you it ends here.

Approx 3 weeks later, you will get a letter in the mail that politely tell you to go away, and the matter is closed.

*I hope you speak to someone more helpful than I did.

What worked for me was going back to the family owned dealership that sold me the Edge, and explain to them that Ford has placed me in a situation that would prevent me from being a return customer.

Being the great people they are, they fought for me internally, and won.

I can say that you should do everything you can, as soon as possible.

Restitution after the fact took me 4 months.

Based on my experience, this will yield nothing.

You will speak to someone who does not know what a PCM or coil is, then they will explain it is not under warranty (thus supporting their dealer).

When you ask to advance the complaint process, or speak to a higher authority, they will tell you it ends here.

Approx 3 weeks later, you will get a letter in the mail that politely tell you to go away, and the matter is closed.

*I hope you speak to someone more helpful than I did.

What worked for me was going back to the family owned dealership that sold me the Edge, and explain to them that Ford has placed me in a situation that would prevent me from being a return customer.

Being the great people they are, they fought for me internally, and won.

I can say that you should do everything you can, as soon as possible.

Restitution after the fact took me 4 months.

thats why i stress the importance of making sure you are good and worked up and pissed off and have your facts straight when you call them. the madder and more upset you present yourself to the rep the more of a resolution you will get...keep pushing!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I felt it was important to take the time to reply to this posting in this forum since it saved me the cost of the full repair on my 2008 Ford Edge. On a recent trip the car began hesitating in heavy traffic North of Atlanta, GA. I ended up spending the night in Calhoun, GA and was at Prater Ford when it opened the next morning. Once the issue was diagnosed I began researching and came upon this forum. After bringing this forum and the issue to the attention of the service department at Prater Ford, they did more research and confirmed that this issue was indeed covered by the 8 year/80,000 mile Ford warranty. All parts and labor were covered by Ford. Unfortunately, the PCM had to be ordered and would not be in for four days and Ford would not cover the cost of a rental car. So, for the cost of a rental car to continue on my trip, Prater Ford ordered the parts and repaired my Edge at no cost to me. The vehicle was ready upon our return trip and has been running fine ever since.

I am very thankful for this forum, otherwise I would have gotten a partial repair which would have caused more problems later and would have paid for the experience.

It is important to do your homework. I was a female traveling out of state with my disabled Mom and Prater Ford in Calhoun, GA took care of us!

• 4 years later...