Porsche Cayene Turbo owner switching to Edge...

jeffreybehr

...I think. I'm starting to drive more, and the C-T's 14-1/4MPG average (and on premium, too) is getting a little rich for me.

The C-T is arguably the best handling SUV around on pavement, and its off-pavement capabilities are world-class. But I no longer need off-pavement ability, so back to Ford I'm coming.

Probably Will be an SEL+, red. Already found aftermarket wheels and tires.

Will post pics later. Here's the Krautmobile in Colorado a couple years ago. I'm the yokel on the right.

3leaning_800w.jpg

Edited by jeffreybehr

Errr.. nice & derogatory... What words do you have for Japanese cars?

None. I've asked at least two Germans if they thought that term was derogatory, and both said no. They said about every nationality has a nickname--Yanks, Limeys, Frogs--and terms like those are just harmless parts of the language. However, I'm sorry if I offended you.

Akirby, GREAT response. I'm glad a pic I intended to be cute generated a laugh.

Robert, TYVM. That pic was taken on Engineer Pass Rd., just e. of US550, s. of Ouray. It's the north end of what Colorado now calls something like the Alpine Scenic Trail, the south end of which is at Silverton; perhaps a Coloradon will confirm/correct that. I did several fall-color trips to southwestern CO and got some fabulous images; see some here... http://community.webshots.com/user/jeffreybehr .

Edited by jeffreybehr

• 2 weeks later...

After days of deliberating on color--picked Blazing Copper over Red Fire--and about 10 hours over 2 days on Ford's site searching dealers' inventories, I found almost indentical twins in Ogden, UT and Colorado Springs, CO* and have requested price quotes. When one simply wants the right color, there are lots from which to choose, locally. But when one is as fussy as I am and simply wouldn't own the car if it had the BAMR and rear-DVD entertainment system, one has to look ALL over. I looked in 46 states, I believe.

SEL+, AWD, Copper, Camel, class-2 tow, 9-speaker sound system, rear cargo, reverse sensing, and NO navigation system are my preferences. I found the twins so equipped but also with SIRIUS radio and chromed-plastic 18" wheels. I think I can be rid of the $750 wheel option.

We'll see if I own an Edge in a few days.

* Either is about 800 miles from Phoenix.

Robert, TYVM. That pic was taken on Engineer Pass Rd., just e. of US550, s. of Ouray. It's the north end of what Colorado now calls something like the Alpine Scenic Trail, the south end of which is at Silverton; perhaps a Coloradon will confirm/correct that. I did several fall-color trips to southwestern CO and got some fabulous images; see some here... http://community.webshots.com/user/jeffreybehr .

Well lets see, it has been about 8 years since I rode my Harley thru Ouray, did you happen to see that waterfall coming directly out of the side of the mountain? I think that is called Red Mountain, Red because of the iron that has been pulled from it, and the mines along the way. I got to over 11,000 Ft. riding along that way and it was snowing. Then when I arrived in Silverton, that was enough riding for the day, only 11 am, and in the middle of May. That area left a profound impression on me, so much so that, that is where I would like to live. But I can't afford the one million dollars for a lot their. It's now in the Ski Belt, Aspen Resort area.

To keep this on topic, interesting to see someone getting rid of what is suppose to be the best performing SUV and getting a lowly American made vehicle. Because you can't wait for one to be built like you want, did you just accept that Porsche from the dealer like it was equipped?

We ran into a similar issue when looking for our Edge. Since my wife was stuck on Creme Brulee with Camel interior loaded with all the options, we really had to look around hard. One dealer I visited printed out every Edge that matched our preferences showing in inventories throughout NJ, NY, PA, MD, DE, and DC. There were less than 20, and after calling every one, we found out most were demos or sold. Luckily there was one dealer about an hour away that had the exact vehicle sitting on their lot.

This time of the year is a great time to buy as far as incentives go, but difficult as well since you are basically dealing with what's left. None of the dealers I spoke with were able to order one for me, as they said they had reached their allowance of '07 Edges. It also doesn't help when you're negotiating the price when the salesperson knows that is the exact car you are looking for.

Good luck tracking down your Edge!

-Brian

07 MKX: " Because you can't wait for one to be built like you want, did you just accept that Porsche from the dealer like it was equipped?"

I choose NOT to wait now. I ordered my CT in the summer of '03; there weren't any I wanted in dealers' lots. Mine is the 1st CT that Porsche North Scottsdale was able to order without a moonroof.

BTW I found the Forddirect site to be very helpful and easy enough to negotiate. Also, I discovered this morning that Ford corporate has a search system that would have saved me about 9 hours. Christa was VERY helpful...800/334-4375. Unfortunately that system doesn't allow the exclusion of the rear-DVD system, so the several additional candidates she found turned out to be not candidates.

I meant to comment on the Sirius as well. I know my Fords both had 6 months of service, but I did see a special on an Escape that included a year. You can't beat having Sirius, I can't remember the last time I listened to FM radio.

Be careful searching dealer inventories through the Ford website. I inquired about several Edges that were showing in inventory online, but were sold weeks ago. From what the salesperson was telling me, it all depends upon when the individual dealerships update their inventories.

I was extremely disappointed with this, as we drove to a dealership with the understanding that we would be able to see the Edge we wanted (which the internet guy should have researched better). When we got there, they preceded to try to sell us every other Edge they had on the lot that did not match our preferences.

Using Ford's corporate system or a dealer's search are probably the most reliable options.

Edited by Biff215

I finally found an Edge that meets my requirements in Beaverton, Oregon, just w. of Portland. My son and I are flying up tomorrow morn. to bring it home. I has all the options I wanted but for the 9-speaker sound system (it has the 4-...) and the rear-cargo-management system. As importantly, it has only one option I didn't want, the 18" plastic-chrome wheels. Oh well...THOSE will be off soon!

I'll be replacing (if they'll fit!) the four 57-cent door speakers with some VERY-high-quality 6-1/2" Sonic Craft drivers that I've used in the 3 front channels of my high-end multichannel-audio/home-theater system.

28May07TVnewCCfmrt_700w.jpg

and

Inprocess6Lch700h.jpg

...and he'll install tweeters in the instrument panel so the orchestras sound as if they're in front of me and not down around my knees.

I can hardly wait. Oh yes...SEL+, AWD, Copper and Camel, without navigation or rear-DVD systems, BAMR, or SIRIUS.

I finally found an Edge that meets my requirements in Beaverton, Oregon, just w. of Portland. My son and I are flying up tomorrow morn. to bring it home. I has all the options I wanted but for the 9-speaker sound system (it has the 4-...) and the rear-cargo-management system. As importantly, it has only one option I didn't want, the 18" plastic-chrome wheels. Oh well...THOSE will be off soon!

I'll be replacing (if they'll fit!) the four 57-cent door speakers with some VERY-high-quality 6-1/2" Sonic Craft drivers that I've used in the 3 front channels of my high-end multichannel-audio/home-theater system.

28May07TVnewCCfmrt_700w.jpg

and

Inprocess6Lch700h.jpg

...and he'll install tweeters in the instrument panel so the orchestras sound as if they're in front of me and not down around my knees.

I can hardly wait. Oh yes...SEL+, AWD, Copper and Camel, without navigation or rear-DVD systems, BAMR, or SIRIUS.

Is that going to be your new NAV display screen?