Matching front windows with 15% tint...

Anybody here use 15% tint on there front windows to match the factory tinted rears? Ive done a lot of searching and looking at photos here to see what people are using and it just seems to me that 20% is a tad too light to match perfectly. Cant find a definative answer about what the true factory tint percentage is either. Anyway, NOT concerned about dicussing tinting laws. Just wanna know if anyone used or know anyone that used 15% and how it matched to the factory tint.

Thanks

Anybody here use 15% tint on there front windows to match the factory tinted rears? Ive done a lot of searching and looking at photos here to see what people are using and it just seems to me that 20% is a tad too light to match perfectly. Cant find a definative answer about what the true factory tint percentage is either. Anyway, NOT concerned about dicussing tinting laws. Just wanna know if anyone used or know anyone that used 15% and how it matched to the factory tint.

Thanks

At the dealership I work for in NY we use 20% to match the backs.

Move further north then you don't need tint on your windows to go dark. :)

Sounds great except for that whole cold thing. And the dark thing. And the ice thing. And the snow chain thing. And the traveling for ever to see family thing. Well, except for being pretty, everything.

• Like 1

Just gonna go over the stock tint with a light shade and then throw some 15% on the two front windows and 35% on the windshield. Dont want it blacked out... just dark enough

First of all, that will be pretty dark. Secondly, you don't want to go that dark on the windshield on this car. That film will look really stupid and is too thick to stick around the dot farm at the top of the windshield.

• 3 weeks later...

I pay more for a well established shop. You want to find a shop that has been around a while and has computer cut film. Much cleaner cut than by hand. Also you know they will stand behind their product if you have issues later.

Also prices vary greatly based on location. Some cities are cheap like down here because there is a tint shop on every street. At the same time you can get it done for $40 at the swap shop flea market or $200 at a high quality 3M certified dealer. Well my windshield was $160 alone since I put 3M crystaline on it.

Edited by NWS Alpine

• 1 month later...

I had 3M 15% installed of front windows and it matches perfect from the outside. The view from the inside shows the aftermarket tint offers much better protection against UV rays as they appear darker than the privacy glass (which is just that.. not designed to filter UV rays from the sun) Hope this helps..

post-21414-0-42055300-1330955432_thumb.jpg

I put an electronic tint meter on my rear windows and it showed 21%. I had 35% installed on the front to give it a natural look (most cars have lighter front windows). If I did it again, I would probably go ahead and get 20% on the front.

I'm thinking anything darker than 18-20% on the front windows will be noticeably darker than the back. Stick with 20% if you want a match.

Edited by Gator