Fuel Tank Reserve Amount

HoustonEdge

If you top it off very slowly in an effort to put in as much fuel as possible you run the risk of adding fuel to your vapor removal system and not into your tank. This can result in an expensive repair down the road. I do not have personal experience with this but I have read that this may be a real risk.

Whaaaa?

Is this for real?

I was in North Dakota over the weekend and when I got to Fargo I had roughly 45 mi to empty. I was a bit surprised when the tank clicked off after a short time, so I kept adding more and more blessedly cheap US gas... it must have clicked a good 10 times or so and I was able to keep adding more each time without spilling a drop.

This extra fuel was going in my vapor removal system?!?

• 4 months later...

Please read...

I am an ASE Master Certified, Level 1 automobile technician with over 30 years of experience. Never continue filling your tank after the pump "clicks" off, except to round it off to the nearest 25 cents or so. Like an earlier post stated, doing so fills the vapor lines with fuel and can damage multiple evaporative components. I've repaired many cars with extensive (and expensive) damage to major components. Fuel vapor systems are very high tech these days...full of electronic valves, and sensors, as well as a charcoal canister that can become permanently damaged. Its really not worth the risk just for an extra few drops of fuel in your tank!

• 3 months later...