Fuel Tank Reserve Amount

HoustonEdge

Hello All,

I recently purchased a 2012 Edge Sport and have a question regarding the fuel tank. I've noticed that, when refueling the car, I can usually only put in 13 - 14 gallons of fuel. I've been refueling when it says I have 30 - 50 miles left. Given that this is an 18.3 gallon tank, I was a bit concerned. I asked my local Ford dealership to check it out, and they told me that it is typical for these cars to have 2 - 5 gallons in reserve after the gas gauge indicates empty. Has anyone else run into this? Just seems like a large variance to me to have in reserve......

Hello All,

I recently purchased a 2012 Edge Sport and have a question regarding the fuel tank. I've noticed that, when refueling the car, I can usually only put in 13 - 14 gallons of fuel. I've been refueling when it says I have 30 - 50 miles left. Given that this is an 18.3 gallon tank, I was a bit concerned. I asked my local Ford dealership to check it out, and they told me that it is typical for these cars to have 2 - 5 gallons in reserve after the gas gauge indicates empty. Has anyone else run into this? Just seems like a large variance to me to have in reserve......

This past weekend I refilled twice, all highway driving.

On the 1st fill-up the car indicated I had 12 miles remaining, the car accepted 16.9 gals.

On the 2nd fill-up the car indicated I had 45 miles remaining, the car accepted 16.4 gals.

For what it’s worth….

This past weekend I refilled twice, all highway driving.

On the 1st fill-up the car indicated I had 12 miles remaining, the car accepted 16.9 gals.

On the 2nd fill-up the car indicated I had 45 miles remaining, the car accepted 16.4 gals.

For what it’s worth….

Yay, Accuracy!

By those numbers, you get 66 mpg.

OK, strange thing happened. I had read on some other blog sites regarding this topic. Others who experienced the same thing had suggested filling the tank with the gas hose nozzle turned upside down. (Out of sight of anyone), I triedthis. With approximately 30 miles left (which was similar to the first two times I filled up), I was able to put in 17.2 gallons. Why there was such a dramatic difference (from 13 gallons to 17 gallons), I cannot explain. Strange, strange, strange...... I guess next time, I'll have to do a rain dance, cross my fingers and toes, and do 3 jumping jacks before filling up and see what changes then. :headscratch::huh:

OK, strange thing happened. I had read on some other blog sites regarding this topic. Others who experienced the same thing had suggested filling the tank with the gas hose nozzle turned upside down. (Out of sight of anyone), I triedthis. With approximately 30 miles left (which was similar to the first two times I filled up), I was able to put in 17.2 gallons. Why there was such a dramatic difference (from 13 gallons to 17 gallons), I cannot explain. Strange, strange, strange...... I guess next time, I'll have to do a rain dance, cross my fingers and toes, and do 3 jumping jacks before filling up and see what changes then. :headscratch::huh:

Gas expands quite a bit from the 50+* when you fill.

To 100+* or so sitting in you parking spot.

There is a large expansion area in the tank.

You filled this area when you turned the nozzle upside down.

You can accomplish the same by SLOWLY adding gas after the nozzle kicks off.

I do this when we’re traveling.

THIS IS not recommended if you’re not going to burn those few gals right now.

ab

Hello All,

From what I can find 2011+ edges with FWD have a 18 US Gal tank and 2011+ edges with AWD have a 19 US Gal tank. Today I drove until I had 2 miles till empty on my gauges and filled up. I held the pump the normal way. It clicked and I rounded it off to the nearest dollar. I had put in 18.3 US Gal. So with my experience we have roughly 1 US Gal after the car says it is empty. I have a 2011 Limited AWD with the 3.5

• Like 1

From what I can find 2011+ edges with FWD have a 18 US Gal tank and 2011+ edges with AWD have a 19 US Gal tank. Today I drove until I had 2 miles till empty on my gauges and filled up. I held the pump the normal way. It clicked and I rounded it off to the nearest dollar. I had put in 18.3 US Gal. So with my experience we have roughly 1 US Gal after the car says it is empty. I have a 2011 Limited AWD with the 3.5

Interesting - the first printing (what I have in my car) says 20.8 for AWD 2011 (also what I have), but the third version for the 2011 says 19.2 for an AWD 2011. The most I have put in is in the 18 range.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Depending at what station I am at, when mine clicks off, I am able to add at least another 1 1/2 to 2 more gals of gas. Here in NJ, you are not supposed to pump your own gas, but I go to only 2 local stations, and the guys are okay with me Topping it off.

Edited by JOEHIO

I routinely run 0 to empty before filling up (even drove 15 miles after it read 0 to empty once). My most recent filling was 17.7 gal and that was after driving about 2 miles after 0 to empty. My daughter was with me and saw it hit zero and I told her she was going to have to help me push if we didn't make it to the gas station...she got nervous for a second going up a hill as I let off the gas to let it start slowing down...

Not supposed to pump your own gas? WTF?

And never top it off.

Yeah go figure we aren't allowed to pump our own gas but we still have the cheapest gas prices in the tri state area. I still pump my own 9 times out of 10, days when it is really cold I sit on the heated seat and enjoy.

Here, the only way someone else will pump it is if you're handicapped and can't do it yourself.

And even then only if you're lucky.

The Jersey thing is supposedly a "safety" issue. I guess the rest of the country is in grave danger every day. Never could get used to that or the jug handles.

If you top it off very slowly in an effort to put in as much fuel as possible you run the risk of adding fuel to your vapor removal system and not into your tank. This can result in an expensive repair down the road. I do not have personal experience with this but I have read that this may be a real risk.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Better to have a little "extra: than none at all. I could picture taking a trip out to Ohio, being in the middle of Pa, with no gas stations for many miles, and realizing that I am about to run dry. Been driving a hell of a long time, and even on road trips, if I get to the 1/4 mark, I refill. :shift:

• 1 year later...

Just to add to this topic as I was curious after I was reading this thread for research before I bought my Edge. I have a new 2013 Limited AWD, I was at 6 miles to empty, and I put in 18.5 gallons with three clicks on the nozzle to top off. So it seems my gauge isn't to far off as I had .7 of a gallon left.

Edited by jmacd27