Navi Very Confusing

cherrybomb

Hello All,

Just took ownership recently for 2011 edge sel and am still learning my way around MFT. Does anyone else find the navigation screen clumsy, slow and unintuitive?

I find it awfully difficult to manually put in an address, city, number, etc. I also find it difficult to do it through voice. I find that most of the time i have to scream instead of talking as half the time it doesnt comprehend and I have to say it again.

I also find doing a search for POI nearby is not very up to date.

Anyone else have similar experiences? What do you do that maybe I can learn from to make this experience a little bit easier and not take so long just to enter an address, then click Set as Dest, then click yet another button for it to finally apply the route.

Any tips, suggestions, etc would be greatly helpful.

Thank you,

cherrybomb

Hello All,

Just took ownership recently for 2011 edge sel and am still learning my way around MFT. Does anyone else find the navigation screen clumsy, slow and unintuitive?

I find it awfully difficult to manually put in an address, city, number, etc. I also find it difficult to do it through voice. I find that most of the time i have to scream instead of talking as half the time it doesnt comprehend and I have to say it again.

I also find doing a search for POI nearby is not very up to date.

Anyone else have similar experiences? What do you do that maybe I can learn from to make this experience a little bit easier and not take so long just to enter an address, then click Set as Dest, then click yet another button for it to finally apply the route.

Any tips, suggestions, etc would be greatly helpful.

Thank you,

cherrybomb

I guess that answers a FEW question.

And brings up a couple of new ones.

Will this upgrade be free (free NEW maps)?

Can I still get navigation for my motorcycleand both carsWITH life time map upgrades

for the LESS than the price of factory navigation? :hysterical:

ab

I guess that answers a FEW question.

And brings up a couple of new ones.

Will this upgrade be free (free NEW maps)?

Can I still get navigation for my motorcycleand both carsWITH life time map upgrades

for the LESS than the price of factory navigation? :hysterical:

ab

Yes and Yes. But does your portable GPS have a 8" screen with integrated voice control?

Yes and Yes. But does your portable GPS have a 8" screen with integrated voice control?

I diddnnt understand you.

Have they fixed that glaring little problem, such a simple word DIDN’T.

Seriously I was hoping the OEM’s were catching up with the handhelds, maybe next decade???

Garmin has a 7”

BUT

I use a Toshiba NB305 with “Street and Trips.”

It doesn’t talk to me (unless I want it to) AND I DO NOT talk to it.

My wife makes changes when/wherever she wants, etc.

ab

Megellan GPS 7" There are some makes that have voice control, I think? some with free map and traffic updates, does Ford offer free maps and traffic updates? only disadvantage is the windshield suction mount, but there are mounts for the vents which would be better than the suction cup. All for a large lower price than what Ford charges.

You may want to consider a PanVise mount for your Nav unit. I installed this one for my Blackberry, but it should work for a Nav unit as well. It was very easy to put in and the mount is very sturdy. Here is the link to my install thread:

Installation Video, In-Dash Cell Phone Mounting Bracket, USB Wired

d.jpg

m3.jpg

I put the same one in my Edge, but I didn't like the angle, so it's gone now.

Just back from a 15,000km trip. The first long one in the Ford Edge. All systems worked like a charm (except the clock/gps sync, which I have had trouble with from the beginning). Combination driving, mostly Trans Canada Highway, and Interstate driving (Average speed 70-75mph) with some city driving in Ottawa, Toronto, Washington DC, Fort Myers and points in between I got 8.9litres per 100km which I believe is around 27 - 28mpg. As for the Nav system, which I have been very critical in the past, did show great promise if the maps could be updated (I was off road many times, even in larger centers). To answer a couple questions above, I ran the Garmin 3490 (most up to date model) side by side with the Ford Nav. The 3490lmt (lifetime maps & traffic) traffic updates worked great and gave updates up to 200km away. Voice options worked great on the Garmin. The Edge Nav showed a slight lag but not to the point where a turn could be missed. The speech option for destinations, POI's, addresses etc. left a lot to be desired...actually I had to give up using it completely. The Junction Views with the split screen worked great. When the Ford Nav maps get updated and maybe a faster boot time I believe a lot of customers will be happy with the system, especially the large screen. Until I see those improvements I will definitely not leave home without my portable gps.

• Like 1

Just back from a 15,000km trip. The first long one in the Ford Edge. All systems worked like a charm (except the clock/gps sync, which I have had trouble with from the beginning). Combination driving, mostly Trans Canada Highway, and Interstate driving (Average speed 70-75mph) with some city driving in Ottawa, Toronto, Washington DC, Fort Myers and points in between I got 8.9litres per 100km which I believe is around 27 - 28mpg. As for the Nav system, which I have been very critical in the past, did show great promise if the maps could be updated (I was off road many times, even in larger centers). To answer a couple questions above, I ran the Garmin 3490 (most up to date model) side by side with the Ford Nav. The 3490lmt (lifetime maps & traffic) traffic updates worked great and gave updates up to 200km away. Voice options worked great on the Garmin. The Edge Nav showed a slight lag but not to the point where a turn could be missed. The speech option for destinations, POI's, addresses etc. left a lot to be desired...actually I had to give up using it completely. The Junction Views with the split screen worked great. When the Ford Nav maps get updated and maybe a faster boot time I believe a lot of customers will be happy with the system, especially the large screen. Until I see those improvements I will definitely not leave home without my portable gps.

Your 8.9L/100KM is about 31MPG Imperial gallons, I did a Florida trip from Toronto and was getting in the mid 30MPG, all highway, at fill up info said I could get 800Kilometers on the tank if I stay at the highway speeds I was doing, not bad for a car full of luggage, driver and passenger.

2010 FWD,

Your 8.9L/100KM is about 31MPG Imperial gallons, I did a Florida trip from Toronto and was getting in the mid 30MPG, all highway, at fill up info said I could get 800Kilometers on the tank if I stay at the highway speeds I was doing, not bad for a car full of luggage, driver and passenger.

2010 FWD,

Thanks for the correction on MPG. We as well were fully loaded, both trunk & back seat (we were away 5-6weeks), so I was happy with the gas mileage. I am looking forward to the updates in the early months of 2012. Now that I am back in the snowy/cold climate I'm sure the mileage per gallon will drop considerably. Glad you are enjoying your ride...wish I could have stayed in Florida another month or two Lol...

Glad to hear that basically, you are pleaswed with the Edge, and GREAT as mileage to boot. As you stated, once the new upgrade comes out, all of us will see big improvements.

Joe

Yes Joe I really did enjoy the ride and really have had none of the 'significant' problems that some of our forum friends have had to deal with. I have had the car for 1 year but this was my first long trip, I won't be doing any updates to the system until the 'major' one comes out early 2012 when I hope the Nav maps will be updated. Until that time I rely mostly on a portable GPS.

Ed

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

l Iike how almost every day this forum gets flooded with the same questions and information that has already been posted countless times already. Have people seriously gotten that lazy that even using the search feature and reading has become difficult?

Wow you are the best especially with your 9 post. ..You getting paid to be forum police?

• 2 weeks later...

l Iike how almost every day this forum gets flooded with the same questions and information that has already been posted countless times already. Have people seriously gotten that lazy that even using the search feature and reading has become difficult?

An Internet forum, or message board, is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages.

What the heck are people thinking coming to a social networking site and ask questions and getting to know each other???

By the way which oil is best synthetic or mineral oil?

Rick

Edited by Wingfoot