Transmission Oil Change

Brian K

Does anyone have a procedure to change the Transmission oil? In other vehicles I typically only do a fluid change by dropping the pan, cleaning it, replacing the filter and gasket then refilling but that only gets about 1/2 of the fluid out. Apparently you can take off one of the lines that goes to the rad for cooling and let the Transmission pump pump the oil through the torque converter and other things so all the fluid gets flushed. This I assume is done after the pan is removed,filter replaced and the pan refilled. So apparently you then remove a cooling line, start the vehicle and the fluid pumps out while you refill via the fill tube - I assume this is how it is done anyway.

I don't want to take it to an Oil Change place because they do a "power flush" using external pumps and that disturbs sediment and move it into other areas of the transmission potentially causing problems, and the Ford dealers who do this using the vehicles own pump charge way too much - so I want do it myself.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

I've always handled trans fluid changes a little different then most. I drop the pan and do a filter change every 30,000 miles. In between filter changes, I suck out about 3 qts through the dipstick tube and replace with the same amount every 10,000 miles. This method has worked very well for me over the years and I've never had any trans problems with any of the many Fords I've owned. I never liked the idea of a complete fluid exchange without changing the filter.

Edited by fishx65

You don't need to drop the pan or change the filter. If the filter is clogged then the tranny is already toast. Dealers use a machine connected to the cooler lines. It pulls old fluid out of the line coming from the tranny and allows it to pull fresh fluid going back to the tranny. This will change at least 95% of the fluid using the tranny's pump (not a power flush). You can do something similar with rubber hoses connected to the cooler lines and 2 5 gallon buckets - one with fresh fluid. Just make sure the new fluid doesn't run dry before all of the old fluid is out.

Or just take it to the dealer and not worry about the mess.

Here’s a picture of the transmission drain.

The cases split vertically.

The filter most be in the plastic tank on the side.

Looks easy in the picture, go pop the hood and take a look :nonono: .

I ordered a filter then researched changing it.

As mentioned by akirby “If the filter is clogged then the tranny is already toast.”

I took it back and got 5 qts of fluid.

Removed the 11mm bolt and dropped almost 5 qts.

I’m going to call that good, the fluid was clear and smelled good.

Because we’re pulling a motorcycle trailer 500 lbs with a 600 lb motorcycle 675 miles. Then empty 675 miles back.

I’m going to start changing 5 qts every other oil change. No tow package.

ab

post-3705-0-15323900-1326945915_thumb.jpg

I've been taking the MKX to the Dealer as part of the "free' Lincoln maintenance package. They did a Transmission fluid and filter change at 36,000 miles so changing the filter must be a reasonable thing to do. I've seen some transmissions with a lot of crud in the pan and the filter looked relatively clean but it is hard to know if is plugging with small particles which would restrict oil flow and not stop it completely causing the transmission to overheat. I'll keep on changing the Oil and filter but would like to do more than just drop the pan and add oil.

I've looked around and see one method which looks reasonable which entails:

1) Drop the pan, change the filter and add new fluid

2) Disconnect a cooling line to the radiator

3) Turning the engine on for a second or two and see which side of the line pumps out.

4) Put a hose on the pump-out line from #3 above into a 5 gallon bucket. Try to ensure that the fluid is being pumped out of the rad cooler - may require reversing lines.

5) Start the engine and pour new Tx fluid into the dipstick. While the engine is running, the Tx pump will pump fluid into the bucket. Continue to pour new fluid into the dipstick.

6) Once clean fluid comes out of the hose into the bucket, you're done.

Caution is required so the Transmission doesn't run dry so you will have to try to match the volume into dipstick with the volume being pumped out.

Sounds like a reasonable procedure if you are cautious and careful. Any comments? - (other than take it to a dealer)

Yes - I did read that one and was intrigued by the bucket idea. But I thought about it and wondered how well it would work. I can understand using the Tx pump to pump out into one bucket but don't understand how this pump can suck out of the other bucket using the return line because normally the suction to the pump would be the transmission pan itself or somewhere else within the transmission and there would be truly no suction on the return line as in normal operation it would just operate as a drain from the oil cooler back to the Tx pan.

Have you actually done this? Can you explain this in a bit more detail please. I like the pump into the bucket to remove all the fluid and not an external pump.

Thanks

• Like 1

Yes - I did read that one and was intrigued by the bucket idea. But I thought about it and wondered how well it would work. I can understand using the Tx pump to pump out into one bucket but don't understand how this pump can suck out of the other bucket using the return line because normally the suction to the pump would be the transmission pan itself or somewhere else within the transmission and there would be truly no suction on the return line as in normal operation it would just operate as a drain from the oil cooler back to the Tx pan.

Have you actually done this? Can you explain this in a bit more detail please. I like the pump into the bucket to remove all the fluid and not an external pump.

Thanks

It was described by a former Ford transmission engineer but I've never tried it myself. I assumed there was suction on the intake line to pull in the new fluid but I'm not 100% sure.

Here is a link (bottom of the page). Sounds like he tried it and it worked.

http://www.explorerforum.com/Singleton/web/pages/at1.html

Edited by akirby

Thanks for the link. The posts before described what I was planning to do. It's worth a try and if the return line does suck up the new fluid it would make this quite easy. My concern with this methond is that they don't seem to replace the filter. I think I'd first drop the pan, replace the filter, put the pan back on and refill. Then try the pump and suck method.