Gunk on Rims

Cellbine

Did anyone else have issues with residue on their wheels when they first got their car? It was left on there after I removed the protective covering on the rims. I received my Edge straight from the factory, it didn't pass through dealer hands.

I've tried Goo Gone, but its not really working. Any help would be appreciated. Keep in mind that I live in Germany, so I can't walk to Walmart to get something. ^_^

Wheel.jpg

i just spent two hours with an old rag, 'krud kutter', and a 55 gallon drum of elbow grease. my hands still haven't recovered from the constant scrubbing. there were only two spokes that didn't have the adhesive stuck to them between all four tires. after i got them all cleaned up my wife came out and was amazed at how good the wheels looked, so i guess it was worth doing. the cleaner was only slightly helpful until i put a nice wet coat over the area and let it sit for a few minutes. then i went back and scrubbed pretty darn hard and quickly to get the adhesive to heat up and that made it much easier to remove. a little more cleaner and a new rag and she was a shinin!

Wow. I'm in the same boat, pretty much all of my spokes have it on them. Maybe I'll spend next weekend scrubbing away. You can't really notice it until you get close to the vehicle, but I'll know if they aren't clean...I'll know.

Thanks for telling me what you went through. Your past is now my nightmare :banghead:

Had a few spots on my wheels when In first got the "X", used a paper towel with some gaasoline on it, then a fresh coat of wax on all wheels. In the past, have used WD40 to remove

"crap", worked real well. Had friends that bought a new stainless stell dish washer, had crap on it, told them to use WD40, and whamo, like majic, took the adhesive right off. Might want to give it a try.

Joe

Its interesting this was posted today. I ran mine through a touch less wash and it was a little tight width wise. So afterwards I looked to make sure I didn't hit my rims on the round metal bars. I noticed this lovely sticky stuff on mine. Perfect timing. Glad to know it isn't something I did or drove through

Edited by 11edgelimited

My wheels still had remnants of the plastic wrap used to cover them during transport. It was stuck between the tire bead and the wheel's rim. Any residual residue was worked off using soapy water. I escalate my chemical usage, trying the most mild chemicals (water, water and soap, etc.) first, then moving on to the next compound (Goo Gone, degreaser). I'm surprised Goo Gone didn't work. Usually, with a bit of soaking and rubbing, it can clean off most adhesives. I wonder if this is related to the plastic chrome "cladding" (plastic) used on the Ford's chrome wheels.