2012 Edge Ltd goes Germany

Sade2000

Hi out there,

just want to give a short introduction of myself.

My name is Dennis (37) and i ordered a 2012 Edge three weeks ago. I guess it´s on the atlantik right now :dogwalk: . And yes i traded in my 2006 BMW 530d for the Edge. I´ll use it as my buisiness car ( i´m working as a freelance project manager/construction/electrical engineering at the Frankfurt Airport).

Car Data:

2012 Edge Limited with 301a Package, tuxedo black + black interior

Our funcar is a 2011 Mustang GT as you can see on the pic below :baby:

0270IMG_0270.jpg

Why i´m driving american cars? ...... we´re in the staates (mostly florida) every year for vacation and i was working in the us in the mid 90´s. I love Ponycars and the new generation crossovers. Last vacation we did several testdrives with the new Explorer and Edge and we were very impressed of the changes Ford did to the Edge so we decidied to get the Edge instead of something German.

If you got questions, feel free to ask ;)

Cheers Dennis

P.S. sry for my bad english skills, i´m still learning....

What technical changes did you have to make to register the two cars in Germany?

The Mustang needed yellow turning lights (urggh), so we had to cut off the sequential ones (which is really difficult to do,´cause of the SJB). The outer white chamber now got a yellow turning light. The front sidemarkers were switched to turn lights, the front orange parklight had to be cut off. Instead of the orange parking light i now got white ones.

Further we had to install a rear fog-light. Therefor we used the inner red chamber-LED.

At least we had to weld two additional tow-hooks at front and rear. After that the german (Euro-) Mustang was ready to hit the road :do what:

For the Edge it won´t be that complicated, ´cause it already have yellow turn lights at the rear. I guess we only have to install a headlight cleaning device due to the HIDs, switch off the orange parking light at the headlamps, put an additional rear-foglight at the rear bumper and install the two tow-hooks.

Cheers Dennis

Edited by Sade2000

The Mustang needed yellow turning lights (urggh), so we had to cut off the sequential ones (which is really difficult to do,´cause of the SJB). The outer white chamber now got a yellow turning light. The front sidemarkers were switched to turn lights, the front orange parklight had to be cut off. Instead of the orange parking light i now got white ones.

Further we had to install a rear fog-light. Therefor we used the inner red chamber-LED.

At least we had to weld two additional tow-hooks at front and rear. After that the german (Euro-) Mustang was ready to hit the road :do what:

For the Edge it won´t be that complicated, ´cause it already have yellow turn lights at the rear. I guess we only have to install a headlight cleaning device due to the HIDs, switch off the orange parking light at the headlamps, put an additional rear-foglight at the rear bumper and install the two tow-hooks.

Cheers Dennis

Interesting thread! What's the logic behind the tow hook requirement? I sure would like to see a photo of your edge after the modifications! We have a 2012 limited too and so far it's the best car I've ever driven.

BTW, can anyone of the 2011/2012 owners give me an answer to follwing questions:

1. Is the MyFord Touch system settable to german language and german voice commands?

2. Are there other Digital Maps avaible for the navigation system (i would prefer Europe especially Germany :hysterical: )

3. Do the HID Headlights have a headlamp range adjustment (man./auto) for times the car is loaded

4. When are the DRL on? Only with headlights on or with parking lights on or whatever (My Edge is built for US-Market)

5. Is the AV-Input only avaible with tranni set to "Park" (this would be the alternative solution with an external Navigation Box, if i´m not able to use the stock one in Europe)

Thx in Advance !!!

Dennis

BTW, can anyone of the 2011/2012 owners give me an answer to follwing questions:

1. Is the MyFord Touch system settable to german language and german voice commands?

2. Are there other Digital Maps avaible for the navigation system (i would prefer Europe especially Germany :hysterical: )

3. Do the HID Headlights have a headlamp range adjustment (man./auto) for times the car is loaded

4. When are the DRL on? Only with headlights on or with parking lights on or whatever (My Edge is built for US-Market)

5. Is the AV-Input only avaible with tranni set to "Park" (this would be the alternative solution with an external Navigation Box, if i´m not able to use the stock one in Europe)

Thx in Advance !!!

Dennis

Hi, the officials here in Finland were much more easy going, when I brought my 2008 Edge Limited back from Canada, after a 3 year working trip. Only change the yellow parking lamps for white which was to drill and fit 5W bulbs to headlamps for new parking lights and leave turn signals as they were. Fit side turn signals (stick on LED's to door mirrors), rear fog light and finally stamp VIN under hood. They said I could leave the rear brake/turn signals red as they understood that its a difficult thing to change. NO additional hooks required.

As for your issues,

I believe MyFord touch only comes in English, French (for Quebec) and Spanish

Nav only for North America, I really enjoyed the SAT radio in Canada but the sat used do not cover Europe.

DRL lights up only the front head lights (not parking lights) and power is reduced. Here in Finland it is law to have front and rear lights during day and night which in mid winter is 24 hrs of darkness and mid summer is 24 hrs of daylight. For now I use the auto light setting and taped over the sensor.

You may want to consider a change to the calibration to get the benefit of the higher octane fuel here in Europe 95E here is the same as 92/93 in US and Edge is calibrated for 87 US. I purchased and installed a Hypertech Max Energy programmer http://www.hypertech.com/

Also in Germany, I guess the ability to remove the 180 km/h speed limiter may also be useful?

Hello,

1. no, no German available.

2. Your Edge will come with maps for north america. In a couple of weeks almost all of us expect an update of the MFT system. This will come with new maps as well. I guess this software will also be used when Ford introduces MFT in Europe mid 2012 in the Focus. I hope that maps for Europe will be available at this time.

3. As far as I know, the modification of your Edge will take longer to fit German regulations. I think a level adjustment system will be added to your rear axle.

5. The AV only works in "P" mode by default.

Rene

Hello,

1. no, no German available. You mean nein nein Deutsch !

2. Your Edge will come with maps for north america. In a couple of weeks almost all of us expect an update of the MFT system. This will come with new maps as well. I guess this software will also be used when Ford introduces MFT in Europe mid 2012 in the Focus. I hope that maps for Europe will be available at this time.

3. As far as I know, the modification of your Edge will take longer to fit German regulations. I think a level adjustment system will be added to your rear axle. Its nothing to do with the level of the vehicle but changing the adjustment of the headlamps beam which has been standard in all European vehicles for nearly 10 years now. Electric motors move the headlamps either automatically or by a control from inside the vehicle. I did hear that some inspection establishments will require this and some will not. In Finland they did not but they did ask for side turn signals which are also EU standard but I notice from many pictures of Edge's in Germany that you don't require them their.

5. The AV only works in "P" mode by default.

Rene

Edited by frozennuts

First of all thank you guys for the first informations !

I guess we´ll solve the probs with the HID. I already talked to my Dealer. He´s contacting the several "TUEV" institutions in Germany right now to find a solution. He did several conversion of 2011 and 2012 Shelbys with HID.

I have no doubt that he´ll manage it,´cause he´s very familar with US-cars and the governmental regulations here in Germany.

Btw, my Edge is still sitting in Baltimore and waiting for the ship :angry: I already t´hought that it is on the atlantic ocean.

Here´s a first shot

IMG_20120214_104143.jpg

Hmmm, the wheels look cute, i better went with 20" but now it´s too late.

I still got my Mustang Brembo wheels 9x19 which i don´t need anymore. (Pic as a demonstration, not my car)

1061895856_e7PAr-O.jpg

I changed to the Boss Laguna Seca wheels on the Mustang.

IMG_6199.JPG

May this is an option with adaption rings (because of the different wheel hub) and 255/50-19 on the Edge... time will tell

cheers Dennis

Nice!

I had the same "problem" thought my car is on his way, but it was still in NYC. At this time I did some google research and found the vessel which finally was the right one. You can follow the ships at vesseltracker.com.

Btw: which company/dealer in Germany takes care for your Edge? I still have difficulties to get the approval for the 18" OEM wheels for my Sport because it comes with 22" wheels and no one can provide me any technical details about the wheels. I already contacted Ford US and set them the part numbers of the wheels. The only thing they replied was that it seems the wheels are made for the 2010 model not for my one. You can buy 22" winter tires, but you will pay a lot. Do you have winter wheels for your Edge? :-)

Rene

Nice!

I had the same "problem" thought my car is on his way, but it was still in NYC. At this time I did some google research and found the vessel which finally was the right one. You can follow the ships at vesseltracker.com.

I already used marinetraffic.com when my Mustang was on his way from Newark last year. But seeing the vessel being far away is not making waiting easier :censored: :yup:

Btw: which company/dealer in Germany takes care for your Edge? I still have difficulties to get the approval for the 18" OEM wheels for my Sport because it comes with 22" wheels and no one can provide me any technical details about the wheels.

My Ford dealer sits in Wetzlar, who´s a good friend of mine and as i said before very familar with US-cars. He owns two AC Cobras, a 2011 Shelby with SVT package and a 1967 Mustang Fastback. :rockon: Being at his garage is always........ :drool:

I already contacted Ford US and set them the part numbers of the wheels. The only thing they replied was that it seems the wheels are made for the 2010 model not for my one. You can buy 22" winter tires, but you will pay a lot. Do you have winter wheels for your Edge? :-)

My dealer did all the stuff with TUEV with my Ford Racing Boss LS wheels on the Mustang, which was very easy. He only need a Ford-brochure where the wheels are shown as OEM wheels.

I´ll try to use my Mustang Brembo wheels for summer-tires and the 18" Chrome-Clad OEM for winter tires, but i know, that getting the registration for the Mustang wheels, will be more complicated. :shrug: We will see....

Greetings Dennis

Edited by Sade2000

• 3 weeks later...

First, Welcome to the forums! I have no doubt that you will love your Edge, especially here in Germany. Its a head turner for sure!

I really hope they release maps for europe. I wish I could use my navigation here in Germany.

I called Ford about the preformance update and asked them if they have a european update coming out. They said they have nothing in the works for a european update, but they could just be lying to me becuase they are not ready to go public with it. :shrug:

Here is my question, does the Edge GPS hardware even work with european satilites?

Edited by Cellbine

• 2 months later...

Just to keep this Thread up to date....

My Edge was converted to German TUEV - regularies end of March inkluding the HID Headlights. No adjuster was requiered for the HIDs, just a cleaning system.

Navigation isn´t working yet. I wrote to Telenav and Ford Customer service without result. Yesterday i wrote "my frustration" on the Facebook - Ford Edge site .... and 30 Min later i had a reaction from Ford Customer Service :shades:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=312637632157269&set=p.312637632157269&type=1&theater

No we will see, what they do........ (i guess nothing) i keep you informed.

Since last Friday my Edge is equiped with a PRINS LPG System, which works very well and safes me a lot of €uros in future. I now fill my tank by half the price for normal gasoline :woohoo:

Last but not least the Edge got his first usefull feature ...... a bug deflector :D . I do a lot of "Autobahn" driving so it made sense to me doing an installation. Here´s a pic

IMG_0263%255B1%255D.JPG

Fuel Consumption is quite moderate at 10.5 Liters/100 Km / 22,5 MPG (20% City 80% Autobahn with 70 - 100 mph) and the ride quality is really good. Higher speeds are no problem for the Edge Suspension.

So long

Dennis