Pirelli wheels bead leak issue

Kamikaze

Here is all the info I have. (There is more including putting on the bead sealant among other things) Online it's listed at several places but not the entire TSB without paying for it so if anyone has the updated one from last year please feel free to post it.

FORD
TSB Number: 12-6-2
Vehicles: 2009-2011 Ford Edge and Mercury MKX
Condition: Corrosion and on the lip of 22-inch rims and whiskers/vents on the tire’s bead seat may cause the TPMS to illuminate.
Solution: Disassemble the rim and tire and clean the rim and tire bead seats with a maroon Scotch-Brite pad.
This is an update/replacement for TSB 11-05-16 mentioned earlier in this thread.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

So all 4 tires have leaked since 2012 (it's a 2011). a year ago (April 2013) they did the TSB 12-6-2. Now one of my wheels is leaking and in one-two days without driving it, is is completely FLAT! I took it into the dealer and they said I now have to contact corporate as they already did the TSB previously and now there is nothing they can do. Sounds like BS, so not sure what to do. Any thoughts?

So all 4 tires have leaked since 2012 (it's a 2011). a year ago (April 2013) they did the TSB 12-6-2. Now one of my wheels is leaking and in one-two days without driving it, is is completely FLAT! I took it into the dealer and they said I now have to contact corporate as they already did the TSB previously and now there is nothing they can do. Sounds like BS, so not sure what to do. Any thoughts?

Welcome to the forum Lila!

I’d like to look into this further for you. Please PM your full name, VIN, mileage, dealer info, and best contact number. I’ll loop in a customer service manager in your region to assist. :)

Working with Ford Customer Service directly is your best option. But it is likely they will simply do the TSB again, at best.

WWWPerfA_ZN0W,

Thanks for the shout out and I hope you have an awesome day!

Tricia

Thanks so much! I was really stressing about this and the lack of answers from my service department. I will definitely PM you and appreciate it. This Forum has been really helpful. It is how I first found out about the TSB that replaced the wheels completely, printed that, took it into the current service department (as the first dealer did not do anything) and they at least found the more updated TSB and did Something...

Welcome to the forum Lila!

I’d like to look into this further for you. Please PM your full name, VIN, mileage, dealer info, and best contact number. I’ll loop in a customer service manager in your region to assist. :)

WWWPerfA_ZN0W,

Thanks for the shout out and I hope you have an awesome day!

Tricia

• 3 weeks later...

post-24051-0-30762000-1399789305_thumb.jpg

post-24051-0-09600400-1399789438_thumb.jpg

Well I am a Canadian owner of a 2013 Ford Edge Sport with the 22 inch factory rims and I am sorry to say after 25 000 kilometres (15 000 miles) and a year and a half all of my rims have shown the cases of the oxidation on the bead of the rim. After multiple visits and attempts at my local Ford dealership to no satisfaction I ending up taking them to my local tire shop to be dismounted and all sanded down with a sanding disk and the rims recoated with a black bead sealer.

My frustation came to a head when I went on holidays and after a week with a delayed flight coming out to the airport parking lot at 1 am in the morning to a flat tire...... No puncture -- just a leaky bead -- it almost got the burning rag in gas tank that night.

Ford you have to confess to this being an issue -- One rim I can just see as a coincidence -- all four with the same issue is a design flaw. I am not saying a full out recall but reimbursement for anyone that through frustation has outsourced this repair.

Kirby

I have a similar problem on my 2011 Edge Sport (64,000 KM)

1 tire looses 7 psi per month and the other 3 loose 4 psi per month

Monthly trips to Kal Tire for a air top up is on the monthly maintenance schedule.

At least these rims are only on the Edge 7 months of the year and the winter rims/tires with no air leaks take on the other 5 months.

I also had a problem on one of the tires where the schrader valve did not seat properly and the tire went flat within a week after topping up the air

Hey guys and gals. Ok so it's been a while since I've posted about this. Let me tell you, it's been a pain in the arse making trip after trip (50 miles round trip each time) to have them inspect and refill my tires, renting loaners, using the TSB to get ONE new wheel out of Ford. I finally suggested they do a tire rotation just to see if mixing the wheels and tires up will help with the leaking by creating a better seal. ???

IT WORKED!

I have not had any leaks since that day and it's been almost a year. Just thought I'd share in case any of you want to give it a try and see if just maybe it might work for you too.

Good luck!

• Like 1