2012 Ford Edge Performance vs CR-V

Greetings all,

I drive an '06 F-150, and the mpg is too terrible to continute to live with. I am looking at trading down to a Crossover-class, and have gradually eliminated everything except the CR-V and the Ford Edge.

My concern with the CR-V is that I have read reviews that say it is underpowered, and I can look at the specs and see that the Edge has 60 more HorsePower and "an Ecoboost engine that delivers the power of a V-6 while still having the fuel economy of a I-4" according to reviewers.

The reason that this is an issue is that I actually do use the cargo capacity of the F-150, and probably 4 or 5 weekends a year I'd be filling up the CR-V / Edge as full as it will get. Actually more full than it will get. With either the Honda or the Ford I intend to get a trailer hitch and one of those hitch-mounted cargo racks that rides right behind the bumper.

I'd like to get input from people who actually drive them. If I load a CR-V with a week's worth of camping gear, am I going to have to be afraid of driving up hills or passing Semi's on the highway? If so, then I'll suck it up and pay the higher price tag for a Ford.

Greetings all,

I drive an '06 F-150, and the mpg is too terrible to continute to live with. I am looking at trading down to a Crossover-class, and have gradually eliminated everything except the CR-V and the Ford Edge.

My concern with the CR-V is that I have read reviews that say it is underpowered, and I can look at the specs and see that the Edge has 60 more HorsePower and "an Ecoboost engine that delivers the power of a V-6 while still having the fuel economy of a I-4" according to reviewers.

The reason that this is an issue is that I actually do use the cargo capacity of the F-150, and probably 4 or 5 weekends a year I'd be filling up the CR-V / Edge as full as it will get. Actually more full than it will get. With either the Honda or the Ford I intend to get a trailer hitch and one of those hitch-mounted cargo racks that rides right behind the bumper.

I'd like to get input from people who actually drive them. If I load a CR-V with a week's worth of camping gear, am I going to have to be afraid of driving up hills or passing Semi's on the highway? If so, then I'll suck it up and pay the higher price tag for a Ford.

A friend had a CRV a few yrs ago.

You wont have to worry about :hysterical: “passing :hysterical: Semi's on the highway.”

ab

• Like 2

A family friend bought a CR-V a year ago. Looked at an Escape, our dealer/salesman gave a really good price, and there was 0 % financing, BUT, she stopped at a Honda dealership on the way home, had a salesman with a good bullshit line, and she got the CR-V - $1K cheaper then the Escape, but with financing for 5 years, she will be spending way more on the Honda. The CR-V is not a bad car, but in no way, shape and form, can you compare it to an Edge. Very noisy, way underpowered, and the interior is a much lower grade/quality. As a matter of fact, the plastic tray between the front seats broke after 3 weeks (she got the base model, so no console, only a flip up tray). She pretty much likes it for back and forth to work, but does not feel safe with it on the highway, One BIG disapoinment with her, is that she is only getting 15 mpg for her commute to work, which is all local. Hell, my MKX does way better than that, and I only have 2,500 miles on it !

Edited by JOEHIO

If you are used to the F-150 why don't you look into the 3.5 ecoboost available in that? You aren't going to get very good gas mileage in either the edge or crv if you pack it to its capacity......

The reason that I don't want a new F-150 is that I only use all of that cargo space maybe 4 weekends per year. The rest of the time I'd just be commuting to work with an empty cargo area, and *that's* the time that I'm concerned about the milage.

Also, I still have the window sticker from my '06 F-150, which estimates mpg as 15/19. The fancy new EcoBoost? 15/21. Ain't no way that I'm spending $40k to pick up 1 or 2 mpg. Plus it deosn't have MyFord Touch or the Sony audio.

Edited by Shockwavesix

A friend had a CRV a few yrs ago.

You wont have to worry about :hysterical: “passing :hysterical: Semi's on the highway.”

ab

Am I to assume that the "hysterical" icons are because I couldn't pass a Semi in a loaded CR-V even if I wanted to?

Sorry I just couldn’t help myself :beerchug: .

I did a little research on Ford.com

http://www.ford.com/crossovers/edge/specifications/engine/

The 3.5 V6 has 253 lbs torque

The EcoBoost I4 has 270

The 3.7 V6 has 280

A properly equipped Edge has 3500 lbs towing capacity.

Honda.com says the CRV

http://automobiles.honda.com/cr-v/specifications.aspx

The 2.3 has 163 ft-lbs torque

The CRV has a towing cap of 1500 lbs

ab

The reason that I don't want a new F-150 is that I only use all of that cargo space maybe 4 weekends per year. The rest of the time I'd just be commuting to work with an empty cargo area, and *that's* the time that I'm concerned about the milage.

Also, I still have the window sticker from my '06 F-150, which estimates mpg as 15/19. The fancy new EcoBoost? 15/21. Ain't no way that I'm spending $40k to pick up 1 or 2 mpg. Plus it deosn't have MyFord Touch or the Sony audio.

That makes sense, a few more thoughts.

1) is your current F-150 paid for? If so why not just buy a focus or something like that to commute to work with. What is the current mpg on your current F-150?

2) back in '06 if I remember correctly the government wasn't putting so much if any ethanol in the gas. That being said my thinking is that your current F-150 with today's gas would have lower epa ratings.

3) depending on your commute to work with the 3.5 in the edge if it isn't very far you wont get very good mileage either, or if it is a lot of stop and go.

I went from a 99 F150 reg cab with 8 foot bed to the 2011 Edge with the trailer hitch. Yes, it was very nice to throw just about anything back there but I was getting 13.5 mpg at the end with the small V8. 50% mpg improvement now with the Edge. What is nice about the Edge (I don't know about the CRV) is that the passenger front folds down which allows longer cargo to be stored. This has helped me out several times. I test drove the CRV when it first came out - my wife was looking for a new car and we both thought it was very under powered. If you don't get the Edge then I would look at the RAV4 V6 before getting the CRV if you are interested in towing with a small SUV.

That makes sense, a few more thoughts.

1) is your current F-150 paid for? If so why not just buy a focus or something like that to commute to work with. What is the current mpg on your current F-150?

2) back in '06 if I remember correctly the government wasn't putting so much if any ethanol in the gas. That being said my thinking is that your current F-150 with today's gas would have lower epa ratings.

3) depending on your commute to work with the 3.5 in the edge if it isn't very far you wont get very good mileage either, or if it is a lot of stop and go.

The F-150 is paid for. I actually used to own a little Dodge Neon in addition to the F-150. But when I crunched the numbers, Insurance + Registration + Maintenance on two cars more than balanced out the money I was saving on gas.

I am actually looking at the 2.0 I4 Ecoboost, not the 3.5 V6. My commute is mostly highway, about 40 miles a day, but with some hills thrown in. In my F-150 I actually average 13mpg with a sticker than says 15/19. But I also have tires about an inch wider than stock (wider as in tread width, not wheel diameter), and a Shell on the truck bed, which hurts my milage, I'm sure.

I obviously am not expecting to get 30mpg out of the Edge, but if I can get 23 or 24, that crunches out to $2000 a year savings on gas.

The F-150 is paid for. I actually used to own a little Dodge Neon in addition to the F-150. But when I crunched the numbers, Insurance + Registration + Maintenance on two cars more than balanced out the money I was saving on gas.

I am actually looking at the 2.0 I4 Ecoboost, not the 3.5 V6. My commute is mostly highway, about 40 miles a day, but with some hills thrown in. In my F-150 I actually average 13mpg with a sticker than says 15/19. But I also have tires about an inch wider than stock (wider as in tread width, not wheel diameter), and a Shell on the truck bed, which hurts my milage, I'm sure.

I obviously am not expecting to get 30mpg out of the Edge, but if I can get 23 or 24, that crunches out to $2000 a year savings on gas.

That makes sense. there are tons of factors. I just hear many people want to get a different vehicle because of gas mileage but they don't usually do their homework. It sounds like you have done yours.

So I have some direct experience here.

Previously we have owned a 2007 and 2008 Edges, both V6 AWDs. I currently own a 2012 Edge V6 AWD. My wife went from the 2008 Edge to a 2010 CRV-EX with NAV (basically the most loaded CRV you can get).

Does it get good gas mileage... well I figured it would be better... she gets maybe 25 to 26 ish. We mainly drive Hwy miles... about 60 miles each day. We originally got the CRV because of price. She really wanted another Edge but I was doing the job roller-coaster and we wanted to save some money.

Needless to say.. if the 2013 Escape pans out to be a good vehicle, she will probably make the swap to an EcoBoost Escape.

Even with all the MyFordTouch issues... the Technology in the Ford BLOWS AWAY what the CRV has. Sure the CRV has bluetooth and NAV, but the bluetooth integration is almost a second thought and it stinks and you think Fords Nav needs work... go drive a CRV... bleeech. When we go on trips... we end up firing up TomTom on my iPhone to supplement and error check the CRV Nav as it tends to make some CRAZY decisions.

The CRV is built well and drives nice... but is VERY Road Noisy. And if you are concerned about acceleration... walk away and look at the V6 Edge or EcoBoost... you will be MUCH happier. The CRV really struggles to accelerate hard... it will do it, but it feels like it's gonna blow up getting there. Also note that good Tow options for the CRV kind of stink. Look to the Edge or 2013 Escape.

Rayo

Wow, it looks like you've received some great responses here. The EB technology is "have your cake and eat it too" happiness. With the torque it provides, the load of camping gear will be no issue and you'll be rewarded with great mileage at all other times. Plus, as mentioned, you really can't compare the 2 vehicles: the CRV is simply out of its league by comparison.

We traded in our 2005 Crv for a 2008 edge with the loaded package 3 months ago. Huge difference. I will try and list some pros and cons from the pv gen crv to ford edge. Sorry, does not apply to latest models.

Crv road noise sucks like all hondas. One of the reasons for getting rid of the crv was we got fed up of road noise. Cannot hold a conversation on the highway.

The crv was very reliable.... I know our edge will not be...period. After 6 years of having the crv, the steering and suspension was tighter than the edge and felt like the first day driven off the lot. Honda just built a solid car. The edge batery died, car audio broke, steering is wobbly. This is a certified edge with just 33k miles and i bought the esp till 100k miles.

Cargo space the crv holds more in the back since it is more boxy than the edge.

The edge is way more comfortable and just feels 'loaded' with more features. Cannot compare the crv to edge - the edge feels more richer from the time you sit inside the version with leather and the climate control and vista roof. And the interior of the edge is at par with crv, though people complain the edge interior is plasticky. To each their own.

Mileage in edge is disappointing but to be expected since it is a heavy car. The crv mileage is overrated for a 4 banger. Was lucky to get 25 on the highway and 18 in town. The biggest disadvantage is merging on the highway especially when the crv was loaded....hated it when it was loaded with family and we went weekend camping....almost a safety issue. If the crv had a 6 cyl in the crv, i would not have switched out of a crv.

Love the edge so far so and definitely feels a huge trade up. And this is coming from someone who had 2 very reliable hondas prior to comingto ford.

Also, honda quality has dropped off in the past 2-3 years...no doubt about it. Cracked engine blocks in civics, accord piston issues that burn oil, rear brakes suck, skimping on paint thay chips easily, and the new designs make me yawn.

Edited by doji_nj

The Edge looks alot better than the CRV, in my opinion. I have had a few people compliment my 2011 SEL model as being similar quality to a Lexus SUV. I'm getting 24 mpg average with every tank of gas... I don't ever take it on the highway. For me, it came down to the Edge, Toyota Highlander, or Kia Sorento.

I traded in a 5.4L F150 for the Edge because I no longer needed a truck bed. Go for the Edge. You won't regret it!

Edited by Gator

The CR-V and Edge are in different size categories (compact versus midsize). The Honda Pilot is the more appropriate midsize competitor to the Ford Edge. If you want the maximum engine performance in a compact SUV, you'll want to check out the Kia Sportage SX or Toyota RAV4 V6.

The Pilot is more of a competitor of the Explorer than the Edge (IMO). Honda doesn't have a vehicle that's comparable to the Edge. My sister-in-law has a 2011 CRV; it's slow, small, and noisy.

A coworker has a CRV. We've driven his car, my Edge and I wouldn't trade. He's said himself that his CRV is way underpowered, and looks wise, not the hippest ride for a 30 something guy. My Edge weighs more but also has the 3.7l engine and were getting the same mileage. I do about 18 miles each way, mostly highway and average 21 with AWD. Take a day and an extended test drive in each. Same route if possible and compare by the seat of your pants and what your gut tells you.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think you can compare an Edge to a CRV. Comparing similar trims.....the Edge costs a lot more, but has a lot more power and is nicer on inside and rides better. The 2012 CRV is much nicer than previous models, and may have more interior space than Edge, and I think CRV power is OK for most uses, and 2012 CRV fuel economy is much better than Edge, but it still won't work like an Edge. I don't think the Edge has a lot of usable storage space for hauling stuff either....even with seats down. Our Edge is more like a tall sedan wih hatchback.

I would suggest you consider the Explorer. Lots more space inside than Edge. I really like our Edge, like it's features, like it's comfort, etc. but it's not very large inside. And V6 model not very economical, although it gets it's advertised MPG in our use. We think it drives like a luxury car. Nice! I use something else (Honda Element....much roomier) to go camping and haul our bikes.

If you are going to tow....I would get the V6 with factory tow package.....which on a Ford is a lot more than just the hitch.

Edited by RJG