Can Edge keep up?

chriswin1st

Hey all. Have my 2012 edge SE for about 3 weeks now and for the most part I'm happy with it. It's a free company car so not much to complain about. I came from a 2010 Ford Escape Hybrid that I put about 70k within 2.5years and that car only needed a 12v battery replacement. However it was much louder on the highway than the new Edge I got. The only rant I have about the Edge is that since the company got me the SE model, there's no auto on/off headlamp. Got a ticket for that the second day I got the new car (good bye 8 years clean streak). Guess I got spoiled with the auto on/off from the Escape. What ticks me off is...it's 2012...when the majority of auto makers are building cars that will turn off the headlights when you have the ignition off and you open the door, this beautiful modernized crossover can't do the same. That's ok though, I bought an aftermarket auto on/off kit for 25 dollars. Just need some help finding a few components to wire it up.

I hope i don't sound lazy or anything but I deal with alot of hospitals/labs so I'm on the phone the minute I climb onto the car and still yaking my way into the next hospital. Streamlining is a must. Also...the day time driving light is like freakishly bright just like the night time light. I think the diff is only like .5 to 1 volt less than the night light. Can't blame me for forgetting the driving light.

all in all, it's a good suv. Enjoying it so far.

I would say that if you are absent minded enough to not turn on lights you don't belong talking on a cell phone while driving......

some of us have more important things to think about than worrying about a little mundane switch that turns on/off lights (example: what needs to be done at my next hospital so sick people don't wait around an hour for their dr to decide on their treatment or another lab./er somewhere else over the phone). also like i mentioned, the day time light is as bright as night driving lights and the dials are also very well luminated in day time mode. The company did make sure i got the sync system so bluetooth/handsfree mode is included (and heavily used). It's actually quite easy to quickly try and sum people up.

Sometimes, just simply can't hate foreign car companies for kicking our home grown cars to the curb due to our inability to be competitive. No mater how small and simple the innovation may be.

btw, get alot of riding done on your NInja? I sold my cbr600rr grafiti special edition a few months back and starting to miss the ride. Hope Ducati comes out with the 1198 in pearl again.

thanks for your thought.

Edited by chriswin1st

Hospitals and labs? Are u a pharma rep?

Hi, no not a Pharm rep. Already too many people in the Pharm field in my family so I became a Clinical Diagnostics Engineer. I deal with blood analyzers in the Hematology branch of diagnostics. So if you have family/friends who's ever been admitted to the ER and got treated fast due to very fast blood analysis/results...you're welcome. ...er i guess if it didnt work out too well then the hospital must have went with my competitors :headscratch:

really? talking on the phone is more important than turning on the lights to your car? do you put your seatbelt on? you got a base model what do you expect?

when you are talking about the lights being as bright as the night lights are you talking about the head lights or interior dash lights?

Edited by c_bova
  • Like 1

just simply can't hate foreign car companies for kicking our home grown cars to the curb due to our inability to be competitive. No mater how small and simple the innovation may be.

You mean like Toyota and Honda who also don't offer auto-on headlamps on their base models? When you come in with attitude expect a little in return.

some of us have more important things to think about than worrying about a little mundane switch that turns on/off lights (example: what needs to be done at my next hospital so sick people don't wait around an hour for their dr to decide on their treatment or another lab./er somewhere else over the phone). also like i mentioned, the day time light is as bright as night driving lights and the dials are also very well luminated in day time mode. The company did make sure i got the sync system so bluetooth/handsfree mode is included (and heavily used). It's actually quite easy to quickly try and sum people up.

Sometimes, just simply can't hate foreign car companies for kicking our home grown cars to the curb due to our inability to be competitive. No mater how small and simple the innovation may be.

btw, get alot of riding done on your NInja? I sold my cbr600rr grafiti special edition a few months back and starting to miss the ride. Hope Ducati comes out with the 1198 in pearl again.

thanks for your thought.

Ninja is the fiance's. I ride a 08 Yamaha FZ6. But I am limited to my riding time as I travel for a living. I work on the road roughly 8 months out of the year so my riding season starts in May and ends the 2nd-3rd week of August. Even with that I have only been able to manage 11,000 since May of 08 when bought new... Would love to ride more but don't ride in the rain.

You mean like Toyota and Honda who also don't offer auto-on headlamps on their base models? When you come in with attitude expect a little in return.

sounds like your ego's been crushed by a few words from another person's opinion. yes i mean the likes of toyota/honda/and sorry to say but even Huyndai. all base models do not have auto on/off headlights but does have the feature that turns off the headlamp when you open the door after ignition is turned off. This is a fail safe that prevents the battery from draining itself out. My mom's 2002 honda civic already has this feature. heck if this feature was avail, i'd just drive around with my night lights on all the time and problem would be fixed. bulbs are cheap. just too bad that a car maker company would (i'd consider) be in the dark age when it comes to little innovations here and there.

"thank you sir, please let me have another"

11edge

Obviously you dont have DLRs.

OR Chris is like a friend of mine.

He has excellent night vision.

When he moved to a car withOUT auto headlights I had to constantly remind him to turn his lights on.

Chriswin:

If you have time you could go talk to the judge, they are usually pretty lenient about stuff like this.

I had an Aprilia Milli R a couple of rides ago, if the Ducati is going to be your first liter bike… IT WILL stretch your arms :yahoo: !

OH almost forgot… Thanks… We thought my wife had a heart attack last yr.

ab

Edited by ablb
  • Like 1

really? talking on the phone is more important than turning on the lights to your car? do you put your seatbelt on? you got a base model what do you expect?

when you are talking about the lights being as bright as the night lights are you talking about the head lights or interior dash lights?

Hi,

if you must lawyer every thing said, you'll fail to see what's very "human" in between. hope that makes sense and you don't think i'm trying to say lawyers arent human.... point i'm trying to make or say is no none of those two things are more important than other. but no matter how capable we are and thinking that we're very capable of multi tasking...truth is, things will slip. it's up to technology to help us keep up with our growing "busier" daily life and when a company isn't capable of offering simple technology that exists even in lowest trim level from comeptitor such as auto off lighting when you power down the vehicle and open the door... there's much to be said about it and merits my opinion.

I was talking about both the day time driving lights and interior dash dials/instrumentations being very bright and well lit. So even if you were to climb into the car at night it'll be as if the regular headlamp is already on and your instrumentations are already backlit. Only thing off is pretty much the rear parking light and that's what caught that cop's attention and invited him to get "involved".

11edge

Obviously you don’t have DLR’s.

OR Chris is like a friend of mine.

He has excellent night vision.

When he moved to a car withOUT auto headlights I had to constantly remind him to turn his lights on.

Chriswin:

If you have time you could go talk to the judge, they are usually pretty lenient about stuff like this.

I had an Aprilia Milli R a couple of rides ago, if the Ducati is going to be your first liter bike… IT WILL stretch your arms :yahoo: !

OH almost forgot… Thanks… We thought my wife had a heart attack last yr.

ab

haha. no eyes are normal 20/20 (thank goodness). Thanks for the tip about the judge. I'll prob send a letter to the court house and see if they'll let me slide base on good long standing record, and also because it was a car that's no more than 2 days old. Truly a warning would've seemed fair. But if the answer's no, no biggie. See it as a way of giving back to my community.

yeah kind of debating between the ducati or a slightly more chilled ride like a v-rod or maybe even a chopper...or maybe none of those and hop on an ariel atom :shift: . we'll see what the work bonus entails this year. But a chopper will most likely cause my neighbors to lock up their doors when i turn the corner. haha

have a good one.

but the Edge does have battery saver, which will turn your lights off after 10min of being left on.

NO YOU KID!? i tried that and it stayed on when i return. but then i might have been impatient and what felt like 15mins might not be more than 10? will try again later today.

Then write Ford a letter and let them know you want auto lights in your base model. They'll probably tell you, well if you add the "convenience" package, take note of the name, for an extra $1000 you can have it. And since you have the sync it would have been much more since that is included in that package as well. But hey, to each their own. If you have superman vision and can see at night that's great, but other people don't and headlights aren't just for you, they are for the people around you too.

I'm not lawyering this, this is all "common sense". Other countries are right, Americans are becoming so lazy with technology.

I don't feel like starting an argument but it seems silly to me to complain about having to turn on your headlights.

Edited by c_bova

Ninja is the fiance's. I ride a 08 Yamaha FZ6. But I am limited to my riding time as I travel for a living. I work on the road roughly 8 months out of the year so my riding season starts in May and ends the 2nd-3rd week of August. Even with that I have only been able to manage 11,000 since May of 08 when bought new... Would love to ride more but don't ride in the rain.

nice. my odo reads only 6400 after three years of usage from when first taken home new. towards the last half year before being sold, i prob put about 150 miles on it. So it was a good drive way ornament but now that it's gone. seems strange looking at the spot it used to be parked at and find it empty. oh how work rapidly robs us of play time.

post-21671-0-25320500-1331225789_thumb.jpg

Then write Ford a letter and let them know you want auto lights in your base model. They'll probably tell you, well if you add the "convenience" package, take note of the name, for an extra $1000 you can have it. And since you have the sync it would have been much more since that is included in that package as well. But hey, to each their own. If you have superman vision and can see at night that's great, but other people don't and headlights aren't just for you, they are for the people around you too.

I'm not lawyering this, this is all "common sense". Other countries are right, Americans are becoming so lazy with technology.

I don't feel like starting an argument but it seems silly to me to complain about having to turn on your headlights.

no arguments, mearly convo. If given the chance to be on a pannel of ford owners discussing with ford, i'd be there with things to say and thanks for the letter idea. I'll most likely do so. I travel alot for both work and personal time and I have family living over sea so i'm familar with daily customs of other cultures. So let me tell you, the majority of Americans arent actually lazy. We live a more stressful life and there's more expected of us from a global scale whether you recognize it or not. I'm darn good at my profession and I contribute that to being able to scrutinize the fine details of things, not the "shazam" that's placed infront of you. No matter how large the object, it's the small details that builds it to the size it is. So auto off lightings when engine is off and door open? it's a very simple logic circuit and it's been offered by other manufacture across all trim for decades now.

The package with the auto headlight comes with the keypad and back up sensor for an additional 850usd when i placed the vehicle order. Just can't seem to justify that when I've just purchased an aftermarket kit that'll auto manage my vehicle lights based on ambient lights and a back up sensors kit for a combined cost of 50usd?

And another note... these other countries/people that says we're this and that in a negative way? ... if given the chance to, trust me 80+% of them would chose to live here in our nation and I say that with conservative numbers. It's the age old perspective and opinion of the have not's while looking at the have's. kind of like me looking at you guys with your auto headlights and i dont...haha jealous. :hysterical:

So auto off lightings when engine is off and door open? it's a very simple logic circuit and it's been offered by other manufacture across all trim for decades now.

The package with the auto headlight comes with the keypad and back up sensor for an additional 850usd when i placed the vehicle order. Just can't seem to justify that when I've just purchased an aftermarket kit that'll auto manage my vehicle lights based on ambient lights and a back up sensors kit for a combined cost of 50usd?

Ford has the auto-off headlamp battery saver for decades. Pretty sure even my 95 Ranger had it. The reason Ford doesn't turn off the headlamps when you open the door should be obvious - safety and convenience. You can open and shut and lock the door and proceed into your house or down the street or wherever you need to go with plenty of light to guide you. I think that's far superior to the competition's solution. And Ford offers auto-ON headlamps in their mid grade models whereas the imports usually only offer on their top of the line model.

Don't bitch about not having something when it was available and you simply chose not to purchase it.

Ford has the auto-off headlamp battery saver for decades. Pretty sure even my 95 Ranger had it. The reason Ford doesn't turn off the headlamps when you open the door should be obvious - safety and convenience. You can open and shut and lock the door and proceed into your house or down the street or wherever you need to go with plenty of light to guide you. I think that's far superior to the competition's solution. And Ford offers auto-ON headlamps in their mid grade models whereas the imports usually only offer on their top of the line model.

Don't bitch about not having something when it was available and you simply chose not to purchase it.

all about the value of the package and a greedy company trying to pick pocket when it clearly needs every single customer that walks through their sales room, especially when the competition is offering so much more. I'll check the battery saver function again later today. and you need 10 minutes in the battery saver mode to get to your house or walk down the street? the safer thing to do is park closer and most people do which negates the need for your headlamp to be on for 10 minutes. Also the only time 10 minutes of light can do you any good is if you're parked in an open field somewhere and you're going to walk down straight infront of your car for a long distance...yeah that reaches out to like what? half a percent of their consumers at best? want to know why that "safety feature" wont work in urban environment such as a mall/parking lot/ford dealership etc? Trust me, there's no positive outcome for lack of vision in this matter from ford engineers/designers/marketing.

Given the choice to pick another vehicle among it's competitor? In a heart beat. It's too bad my company invested in trying to help these manufactures.

i get being pampered by technology, but i see this same type of thing every day! i'm not an advisor anymore. i'm a damn babysitter for those who want something for nothing, for those who can't pick up an owners manual, those who forgot how to check tire pressure, and so on.

if you cant remember to turn your headlights on when you get behind the wheel, dont get behind the wheel. i know this may sound harsh, but its so disheartening that our society is this lazy!

and as far as other manufacturers go, yes they all still make models with manual controls. So when it comes to foreign competitors "kicking our butts" i have to disagree.

furthermore, if you have a company furnished vehicle, id be willing to bet that your company also has a drivers manual which requires daily inspections of the vehilce to include tire pressure and not relying on TPMS as well as pre checks before pulling out which i'm sure include turning on your headlights

all about the value of the package and a greedy company trying to pick pocket when it clearly needs every single customer that walks through their sales room, especially when the competition is offering so much more. I'll check the battery saver function again later today. and you need 10 minutes in the battery saver mode to get to your house or walk down the street? the safer thing to do is park closer and most people do which negates the need for your headlamp to be on for 10 minutes. Also the only time 10 minutes of light can do you any good is if you're parked in an open field somewhere and you're going to walk down straight infront of your car for a long distance...yeah that reaches out to like what? half a percent of their consumers at best? want to know why that "safety feature" wont work in urban environment such as a mall/parking lot/ford dealership etc? Trust me, there's no positive outcome for lack of vision in this matter from ford engineers/designers/marketing.

All that just because the lights don't turn off when you open the door? Seriously? Ford has a lot of technology that others don't even offer - Sync, MFT, keyless keypads, better fuel economy. But I guess that's not as important as the lights turning off on the cheapest base model version of a vehicle you obviously don't like anyway.

All that just because the lights don't turn off when you open the door? Seriously? Ford has a lot of technology that others don't even offer - Sync, MFT, keyless keypads, better fuel economy. But I guess that's not as important as the lights turning off on the cheapest base model version of a vehicle you obviously don't like anyway.

Actually you're pretty oblivious to the stated facts or easily amused/satisfied. I think the vehicle's alright and consider in some way an upgrade from my hybrid escape. Disapointed that they couldnt integrate some simple nand/nor/and/or gates or resistors into their circuits for 50cents more to make it convenient for their consumers who's keeping them in business while the guys across the street are offering way more for around the same price if not less. If not sync there's several other platforms. and fuel economy? I'm glad i have a fuel card that I never have to pay other wise i'd pee my pants every time i have to get gas for this car between 250 to 280miles/tank.

Edited by chriswin1st