DIY PTU Seal Fix?

Pete K

I didn't find anything is a seach.

I will snap many pictures, and possibly do a write up on it.

Ok, I have completed this project.

I am not suprised they leak. In my opinion, they have no choice due to the poor design.

Pass side half shaft (including the attached intermediate shaft) is close to (if not more than) 3 feet long. About midway, the shaft is supported by a rigid mount.

The end in the PTU is only jigged by the splines.

I am shocked that Ford did not install a bushing or bearing into the opening of the PTU intermediate shaft bore. In my opinion, it has to move around and compromise the seal.

The good news is that the most recent kit not only includes a replacement seal, but it includes a plastic collar that installs on top of the seal. The intention is to use the intermediate shaft bore to support the seal, and the new collar, assisting to take some of the load off the seal, during the wobble. The plastic seal is a semi-rigid plastic, so I cant imagine it going 100k miles, or more.

Ok, I have completed this project.

I am not suprised they leak. In my opinion, they have no choice due to the poor design.

Pass side half shaft (including the attached intermediate shaft) is close to (if not more than) 3 feet long. About midway, the shaft is supported by a rigid mount.

The end in the PTU is only jigged by the splines.

I am shocked that Ford did not install a bushing or bearing into the opening of the PTU intermediate shaft bore. In my opinion, it has to move around and compromise the seal.

The good news is that the most recent kit not only includes a replacement seal, but it includes a plastic collar that installs on top of the seal. The intention is to use the intermediate shaft bore to support the seal, and the new collar, assisting to take some of the load off the seal, during the wobble. The plastic seal is a semi-rigid plastic, so I cant imagine it going 100k miles, or more.

Well done Pete. Hope it stays leak free for a long while.

I see what you mean about the spline end of the shaft being unsupported. And relying on a little plastic donut to center and support such a heavy shaft is a joke. The spacer on mine was down to less than 1/3 of it's original size and had a wicked bevel worn into it.

I'm curious, how did you remove the deflector?

Well done Pete. Hope it stays leak free for a long while.

I see what you mean about the spline end of the shaft being unsupported. And relying on a little plastic donut to center and support such a heavy shaft is a joke. The spacer on mine was down to less than 1/3 of it's original size and had a wicked bevel worn into it.

I'm curious, how did you remove the deflector?

My 07 has 45,000 miles, and has never been apart until today.

It had no plastic spacer from the factory.

The deflector was a bear. I would up chipping a careful groove in it with a sharp chisel. You photo was helpful because it gave me an estimate of where things were, and what to avoid.

I had more difficulty installing the new deflector. No matter how much I heated it, it did not "snap" into position as described. I used a driver to re-install the new one, and did not want to hit it any harder for fear of causing harm.

Instead of being 3-5mm below the machined edge, it is flush with that edge.

I plan to keep my eye on it for a while. If it does pop loose, I have a plan b. It is only a dust seal, so I will cut a slot in it with a hacksaw (a new deflector), snap it in, and dress the edge and seam with a bead of RTV. This way, it will stay put, deflect debris, and be easily removed next time, with a razor slice. Based on the design as I see it, I will likely be installing another intermediate seal couple of years down the road.

Edited by Pete K

Hey Pete.

I've been a lurker on these boards, normally an Audi fan but I have an edge as a DD. Had them as rentals alot and enjoyed it so i bought one.

Do you have your write up for this procedure? Pics? Id appreciate any help. If you like you can just email me the pics to save yourself time :)

I want to tackle this job myself, but I am not sure of how much time it would take or the parts cost.

FYI, I am a pretty good mechanic myself, and have been wrenching on nearly everything for years. Current job has me traveling alot, so I want to get this done in one shot.

Thanks in advance!

Nate

Edited by the_natrix

• 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...

Hey what's up? I am new to this group and just picked up a 2010 MKX. Couple weeks after purchasing it the ball joint on a lower control arm went out and fortunately I was just at a gas station and not flying down the road. I took the initiative and spent hours upon hours researching parts prices good better best and ended up buying all new parts. Lower control arms, struts, wheel bearings, everything. The only thing I used on the front end that came original from the vehicle is the steering knuckles. While removing the CV joint on the passenger side something inside of me told me that I need to loosen the two bolts and remove the intermediate shaft. I think I made a mistake but I did read that once you remove the shaft you need to remove and replace the seals. I got the dust cover off as well as the two seals that are about an inch in diameter. The little circle one and the red circle one. I'm not sure what to do next can somebody please advise me or send me the instructions and or pictures. I would greatly appreciate it

7 hours ago, Abodway said:

Hey what's up? I am new to this group and just picked up a 2010 MKX. Couple weeks after purchasing it the ball joint on a lower control arm went out and fortunately I was just at a gas station and not flying down the road. I took the initiative and spent hours upon hours researching parts prices good better best and ended up buying all new parts. Lower control arms, struts, wheel bearings, everything. The only thing I used on the front end that came original from the vehicle is the steering knuckles. While removing the CV joint on the passenger side something inside of me told me that I need to loosen the two bolts and remove the intermediate shaft. I think I made a mistake but I did read that once you remove the shaft you need to remove and replace the seals. I got the dust cover off as well as the two seals that are about an inch in diameter. The little circle one and the red circle one. I'm not sure what to do next can somebody please advise me or send me the instructions and or pictures. I would greatly appreciate it

Welcome to the forum!

All the answers to your questions are under the DIY maintenance section.....  https://www.mactgarage.com/

• 3 weeks later...

Alright guys I have it all back together. I was actually rebuilding the complete front end of my Lincoln MKX and took the intermediate shaft out on accident. Boy was that a costly mistake. I bought the seal kit which included the red seal, the plastic collar, and the dust cover. I watched a video on how to do this and failed to follow instructions on heating the dust cover before installation, so it cracked. I bought another dust cover and rather than heating it with a heat gun I boiled water which boils at 212 degrees and I put the plastic dust cover in there for a couple minutes. When I installed it this time it was a piece of cake. I actually didn't use any special tools for the red seal or the color collar goes in at basic arm pressure but the red seal I actually installed with a bearing installer kit. It's a kid that has a handle impound on with about eight different metal discs for installing and replacing seals and bearings. I found the smallest one drowned it down so didn't have an angled edge put on the little pound handle and because it was not long enough I used my Jack handle as an extension. the rubber boot on the intermediate shaft I couldn't find anywhere so unfortunately I had to buy a new intermediate shaft as well. If anybody has any questions feel free to shoot me a call or text message 262-282-8899 Andrew

• Like 1