2008 EDGE pre-production video/SYNC

check out these two videos of the 2008 EDGE. An inside/out tour of the EDGE, highlighting the power lift gate and red insert leather on seats. Then click on the video of the SYNC. really cool demo of how it works using voice commands. :happy feet:

Enjoy

2008 EDGE/SYNC

thanks, that was interesting to see. I thought it was interesting how the power lift gate is just an additional component on the left side of the vehicle in the cubby there. If that's truely all it is, I wonder if that can be come an add on feature for 2007 models.

thanks, that was interesting to see. I thought it was interesting how the power lift gate is just an additional component on the left side of the vehicle in the cubby there. If that's truely all it is, I wonder if that can be come an add on feature for 2007 models.

The power lift gate feature is where the rear liftgate opens automatically from a button on your key fob, you are thinking of the power fold of the 2nd row that is accessible inside on the left.

The power lift gate feature is where the rear liftgate opens automatically from a button on your key fob, you are thinking of the power fold of the 2nd row that is accessible inside on the left.

No, he's talking about the lift mechanism itself. Although it is more than just that as it has to open the door latch and integrate with the keyfob so a retrofit might not be a simple plug and play unless the wiring harness already exists.

I wouldn't exactly categoried those as "power" folding rear seats. Aren't they more like "spring-action" folding seats? It ain't like they power fold back into the upright position.

BTW, I'm glad to see there is no cut out handle on the hatch. That would have been ugly IMO.

Edited by jamers1

I wouldn't exactly categoried those as "power" folding rear seats. Aren't they more like "spring-action" folding seats? It ain't like they power fold back into the upright position.

Power in this case refers to the use of an electronic switch to activate the spring loaded folding.

I just watched the Sync video demo on this site as well. The voice activated stuff seems a little slow to me.

Actually, one of the coolest things about SYNC is that because it's a computer, it can be constantly upgraded. If you caught it in the video, he said that when they change or morph the software, even if you bought the 2008 (which would be an "old" model in a few years), it can still be upgraded in the future.

I'm sold. Can't wait to get one!

Article on availability and pricing for Sync:

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A.../708090443/1148

/edit: I clicked the link and it said article no longer available. This is what it said:

Ford Motor Co. is betting on affordable pricing for its new Sync system to help boost sales of Ford, Mercury and Lincoln models.

Ford will announce today that Sync, an onboard computer connectivity system developed with software giant Microsoft Corp., will debut as a $395 option on the redesigned Ford Focus, which is scheduled to go into production next month. It will also be offered as an option on the 2008 Ford Edge and will be standard on the 2008 Lincoln MKX.

Ford will make Sync standard on all Lincoln models as it rolls the new technology out over the next couple of years and will also make it standard on most premium level Ford and Mercury models. On most other vehicles, it will be available as an option --again for $395.

Later this fall, Ford will begin offering Sync on the 2008 Ford Explorer and Explorer Sport Trac, as well as the Mercury Mountaineer. The automaker plans to roll out the new technology to most of its other products over the next two years.

"Consumer reaction to Sync has been extremely positive since our launch earlier this year," said Cisco Codina, Ford's group vice president of marketing, sales and service for North America. "The simplicity and capability of Sync have tremendous appeal and the affordability is certain to drive ever greater interest."

Ford said it expects at least half of all car buyers to opt for Sync on models where it is available.

Analyst Erich Merkle of IRN Inc. said the take rate could be even higher.

"That price almost guarantees that people are going to want it," he said. "One of the ways to use it as a competitive advantage is to price it so the majority of buyers can afford it."

A competitive advantage is exactly what Ford hopes Sync will be -- and something the automaker desperately needs as it struggles to stop a decade-long slide in market share.

"We know consumers want this sort of connectivity," said John Emmert, Sync marketing manager at Ford. "The level of affordability and the fact that this connects with the devices consumers already own and allows them to control those devices by voice will set us apart from the competition."

Ford says its research shows that 70 percent of consumers want to be able to connect portable music players to their autos. Many also want to operate cell phones while driving without having to touch the devices.

Sync allows them to do all of this, as well as send and receive text messages. It connects MP3 players like Apple Inc.'s iPod and Bluetooth-enabled cell phones with the car and gives motorists voice control of those devices.

Edited by 07 MKX

Article on availability and pricing for Sync:

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A.../708090443/1148

Thanks for posting that article. I'm glad to see Ford is not overpricing Sync.

Still no word on whether an '07 retrofit will be available? It would be nice, but with the on board computer and extra steering wheel buttons, I'm not sure it will be an option. Does anyone know more?

More articles are appearing in today's papers across the globe now about sync. 08/10/07

This sentence struck me as TROUBLE!

"They envision vehicles getting software "fixes" through wireless downloads that don't require communication with the owner, or giving drivers electronic manuals that let them ask their vehicle questions about performance or maintenance."

Anyone ever heard of Mal-ware or Virus?

More articles are appearing in today's papers across the globe now about sync. 08/10/07

This sentence struck me as TROUBLE!

"They envision vehicles getting software "fixes" through wireless downloads that don't require communication with the owner, or giving drivers electronic manuals that let them ask their vehicle questions about performance or maintenance."

Anyone ever heard of Mal-ware or Virus?

Software updates will be done via a USB memory stick. I don't see it being done wirelessly and certainly not without the owner's permission regardless of what the article says.