Aftermarket Subwoofer

Here is what the stock 8" sub looks like in and out.

post-609-1186940551_thumb.jpg post-609-1186940732_thumb.jpg

Here's the final look with my new 10" in. It is an Ascendant Audio Arsenal D4.

post-609-1186941241_thumb.jpg post-609-1186941111_thumb.jpg

I put a Zed Audio Minilith mono amp under the rear passenger side seat.

post-609-1186941311_thumb.jpg

The sub and amp can be found at Sound Solutions Audio Shop.

The grill is from Polk Audio MOMO and can be had at Car Domain.

post-609-1186940979_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Jill, Sub install looks great!!! Looking to do the same thing in mine. Did you ever find out what was causing the hum from your other post? Also, I'm assuming you made a custom box to fit in that location... Was it a tricky build? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

• 5 weeks later...

I just don't get the bump im used to in the audiophile system. It sounds good, but im lookin for more bass. I wonder if the factory sub could be replaced with a better aftermarket sub in the factory enclosure? Or better yet, i wonder if it would be possible to reverse engineer a sub and enclosure for the driver side of the hatch area to double the bass output while still looking stock? any ideas, im not looking to get rid of the factory enclosure, just improve on it.

My old 99 mustang had 2 12' orion XTR with 500+ watts of power, so maybe im just alittle spoiled?

Also what type of sub would i need for the factory enclosure? sealed enclosure sub, ported enclosure sub, or a freeair sub?

Edited by bamaredwingsfan

Or better yet, i wonder if it would be possible to reverse engineer a sub and enclosure for the driver side of the hatch area to double the bass output while still looking stock? any ideas, im not looking to get rid of the factory enclosure, just improve on it.

I had the same thought. It seems I saw pics somewhere that originally they planned on having a sub on both sides.

Jill, Sub install looks great!!! Looking to do the same thing in mine. Did you ever find out what was causing the hum from your other post? Also, I'm assuming you made a custom box to fit in that location... Was it a tricky build? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I tried a million different things and it finally just stopped. I'm not sure I could pin-point what was the cause since I tried several things at a time. It might have been the line in converter which I upgraded or that I was splicing lines from the rear doors. Either way I'm just happy it works like I want it too now!

The custom box was fun to make. It took me a few days since I had to wait for the glue to dry. You can see the box with my buddy Bob in the last picture. It looks like a wierd trapezoid. The only thing extra is that once you remove the original brackets you can fill more space with your new box and brackets so it takes a while to get all the measurements right. We added a bit of space on the back - it's not flat but has a sort of bump out on it with an extra panel. The cables run out of the bottom.

Bamaredwingsfan - I was also disappointed with the supposed audiophile system. My '01 explorer had a lot better sound. Anyways, I was originally going to just replace the stock 8" sub with my own favorite brand's 8". My buddy the 'car audio guru' said part of the problem was the plastic housing of the stock'er. It needed something more rigid like wood to not sound so soft.

Hope this helps...

I tried a million different things and it finally just stopped. I'm not sure I could pin-point what was the cause since I tried several things at a time. It might have been the line in converter which I upgraded or that I was splicing lines from the rear doors. Either way I'm just happy it works like I want it too now!

The custom box was fun to make. It took me a few days since I had to wait for the glue to dry. You can see the box with my buddy Bob in the last picture. It looks like a wierd trapezoid. The only thing extra is that once you remove the original brackets you can fill more space with your new box and brackets so it takes a while to get all the measurements right. We added a bit of space on the back - it's not flat but has a sort of bump out on it with an extra panel. The cables run out of the bottom.

Bamaredwingsfan - I was also disappointed with the supposed audiophile system. My '01 explorer had a lot better sound. Anyways, I was originally going to just replace the stock 8" sub with my own favorite brand's 8". My buddy the 'car audio guru' said part of the problem was the plastic housing of the stock'er. It needed something more rigid like wood to not sound so soft.

Hope this helps...

yeah i can understand that. I would like to think that a really bad ass MTX or Kicker 8 would have to improve the sound somewhat though. Anyone know who makes the factory speakers for the edge? im sure they are just no name somethings, just not sure what.

I added a Pioneer TS-SW2341D 10" shallow sub in a custom box, 4 Infifnity Kapa 2 way speakers and a Kicker 5 chanel amp. I kept the stock head unit but had all 4 door speakers run throught the amp. It is loud, clear and thumps pretty hard. The speaker is only thing you can see in the cargo area....the box is behind the panel where the factory sub would have been. I took the picture with my cell phone...it looks much better in person.

post-788-1191132739_thumb.jpg

post-788-1191133018_thumb.jpg

Edited by alwaysbikn

I added a Pioneer TS-SW2341D 10" shallow sub in a custom box, 4 Infifnity Kapa 2 way speakers and a Kicker 5 chanel amp. I kept the stock head unit but had all 4 door speakers run throught the amp. It is loud, clear and thumps pretty hard. The speaker is only thing you can see in the cargo area....the box is behind the panel where the factory sub would have been. I took the picture with my cell phone...it looks much better in person.

That looks great!

That is almost exactly what I've been thinking about.

I was concerned because I would like to keep the factory head unit and didn't know if I could add an amp and sub without replacing it.

I've read a little at the Crutchfield site but have little to no experience with car stereo installation.

Could you post links or some info on how the amp is wired in with the stock head unit?

I don't have a factory sub.

That looks great!

That is almost exactly what I've been thinking about.

I was concerned because I would like to keep the factory head unit and didn't know if I could add an amp and sub without replacing it.

I've read a little at the Crutchfield site but have little to no experience with car stereo installation.

Could you post links or some info on how the amp is wired in with the stock head unit?

I don't have a factory sub.

I just added an amp and sub to mine. To use the factory radio with an aftermarket amp, you'll need a converter for your factory radio so you can plug the rca's from the amp into it. I got mine from the local audio shop for about 20 bucks. It's pretty easy to do. The whole center of the dash (vents, HVAC controls and all) pops off, then take out 4 screws and you got the radio out. Splice the converter into the rear speaker wires on the radio harness. You can find the wire identification colors on the internet.

Edited by boomsling

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

That sub looks awesome!! A few questions though, did you cut the factory enclosure so the 10" would fit, or is that a custom enclosure? The seat bottoms lower when you fold the rear seats down, is there enough clearance with the amp below?? Thanks.

That sub looks awesome!! A few questions though, did you cut the factory enclosure so the 10" would fit, or is that a custom enclosure? The seat bottoms lower when you fold the rear seats down, is there enough clearance with the amp below?? Thanks.

I made my own sealed sub enclosure. There wasn't enough area in the stock enclosure for a 10 to breathe.

The seat bottoms go down and forward when lowered. The bigger seat goes down all the way over the speaker amp but the shorter seat doesn't quite go down all the way (about an inch up) because my sub amp is a bit taller. I don't worry about it because I don't put heavy stuff on it but I probably wouldn't sit on it in the down position. :) I put it down with all my ski gear last week with no worries though. Hope that helps.

I dont like how the stock sub bottoms out sometimes. Does anybody thing its possible to install an 8" sub, 4OHM with requirements for .3 cuft? I dont want to replace amps and all that stuff. Is the stock amp input pretty much like a high level input? And, is the amp for all the speakers or seperate. I dont want to tear it apart.

• 1 month later...
I dont like how the stock sub bottoms out sometimes. Does anybody thing its possible to install an 8" sub, 4OHM with requirements for .3 cuft? I dont want to replace amps and all that stuff. Is the stock amp input pretty much like a high level input? And, is the amp for all the speakers or seperate. I dont want to tear it apart.

Just bought a 2008 Edge Limited AWD with Panaramic roof and dual DVD headrest unit and pretty much all the bells and whisles on it. My question is that the audiophile system that comes with it sounds lacking, guess I have been spoiled by 5,500 watt system I did have. I was looking at the speakers thru the doors and can see that it looks as though Ford used Plates since my tweeter is seperate then midrange. Does anyone know what size it is in the front and back? I have 5.25 seperates as well as 6.5 seperates that came out of my old system that are brand new and would like to use them.

I want to keep the factory head unit, yuck but since I have 7 year 75,000 mile warranty I want to be able to remove fast if a problem. Do you have to run an amp bypass on this unit like with the old explorers? Also is the stock subwoofer RCA output from deck or do I need an RCA converter to run to amp then to sub box? I want to replace door speakers, run one amp just a Fosgate Power 500 that I have sitting around since I don't want to upgrade whole electrical for my competition amps one is a 4000 Hard Core and the other is the 598 all modded by MA Audio, I was sponsored by them.

Any help with wire colors or knowledge of hooking up amp to factory deck would be appreciated since I am spoiled with RCA jacks already installed. Also does anyone know if the whole ford system is ran by the one amp or is it used for sub and door speakers are powered by deck.

Just bought a 2008 Edge Limited AWD with Panaramic roof and dual DVD headrest unit and pretty much all the bells and whisles on it. My question is that the audiophile system that comes with it sounds lacking, guess I have been spoiled by 5,500 watt system I did have. I was looking at the speakers thru the doors and can see that it looks as though Ford used Plates since my tweeter is seperate then midrange. Does anyone know what size it is in the front and back? I have 5.25 seperates as well as 6.5 seperates that came out of my old system that are brand new and would like to use them.

I want to keep the factory head unit, yuck but since I have 7 year 75,000 mile warranty I want to be able to remove fast if a problem. Do you have to run an amp bypass on this unit like with the old explorers? Also is the stock subwoofer RCA output from deck or do I need an RCA converter to run to amp then to sub box? I want to replace door speakers, run one amp just a Fosgate Power 500 that I have sitting around since I don't want to upgrade whole electrical for my competition amps one is a 4000 Hard Core and the other is the 598 all modded by MA Audio, I was sponsored by them.

Any help with wire colors or knowledge of hooking up amp to factory deck would be appreciated since I am spoiled with RCA jacks already installed. Also does anyone know if the whole ford system is ran by the one amp or is it used for sub and door speakers are powered by deck.

I can only offer you some insight into speaker change out here - maybe it will help ya, but it seems you may play at higher level than I, but it should still give you some useful data on speakers and the doors.. good luck.

I can only offer you some insight into speaker change out here - maybe it will help ya, but it seems you may play at higher level than I, but it should still give you some useful data on speakers and the doors.. good luck.

Thanks for the information, no one mentioned about the stock speakers in the doors if they were plates since that is what mine looks like. I am planning on changing both front and rear door speakers and have a few brands that I am partial too, but as for the factory speakers in the 08 Limited, they are okay, but need some quality at higher volume. Any help again would be appreciated especially if a amp bypass needs to be used and if the amp powers all speakers including subwoofer?

Since I do not care about the space in back, I will be making a 38 htz ported and tuned box and using my HK12X2 subs and wired down to 1 ohm since the old school fosgate can run all day at a 1 ohm and barely get warm. I will disconnect the factory sub but have it all there so if I need warranty work I can remove fast. I have been told that aftermarket does not ruin warranty, but I also know Ford and they can blame it on an air freshner attached to the air vent as the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi- i own my own mobile electronic company in Vegas and thought id chime in.

The edge has a amp powering the sub for sure, the rest i believe is off the stock deck. All speakers are 5x7's. You can put your 6.5 comps or 5.25 comps in the factory opening easily with a adaptor, you will have to cut holes for the tweeters. I just installed 6.5" alpine type X's in teh front and do not use the rear speakers at all. I also took out the spare tire and mounted my amps below the rear cargo area. Its nice and hidden. I plan to fiberglass that spare tire area to make it look good. I did not have the audiophile system as I was planning on installing my own system since stock systems are garbage IMO. If you plan on upgrading your speakers without a new amp do not get expesive comp speakers, get something middle of the line like infinity reference 6.5" coaxiles. The stock deck does not have a strong internal amp, and expensive speakers will not sound any better than cheap ones.

I threw in this head unit in my 08' edge: this

Has terrific nav also great EQ and audio zone controls, bluetooth ect. Beats the ehll out of any synce system! But sysnc is pretty cool i must admit Ill try to get pics if I get a chance. Its a very easy car to work on, also if you want to increase your bass without switching out your stock sub, simply take out teh enclosure and wrap it in some secondskin insulation(http://www.secondskinaudio.com/). It will keep your bass in your car and make the sound much more crisp. Ive used 2 rolls in my edge already. I now have ZERO road noise. I have 1 12" sub kicking at 600w @ 2ohms and with all the second skin you can barely hear the bass outside the car, its really amazing. If anyone lives in vegas Im more than willing to install stuff on your edge just hit me up with PM.

• 2 months later...
Hi- i own my own mobile electronic company in Vegas and thought id chime in.

The edge has a amp powering the sub for sure, the rest i believe is off the stock deck. All speakers are 5x7's. You can put your 6.5 comps or 5.25 comps in the factory opening easily with a adaptor, you will have to cut holes for the tweeters. I just installed 6.5" alpine type X's in teh front and do not use the rear speakers at all. I also took out the spare tire and mounted my amps below the rear cargo area. Its nice and hidden. I plan to fiberglass that spare tire area to make it look good. I did not have the audiophile system as I was planning on installing my own system since stock systems are garbage IMO. If you plan on upgrading your speakers without a new amp do not get expesive comp speakers, get something middle of the line like infinity reference 6.5" coaxiles. The stock deck does not have a strong internal amp, and expensive speakers will not sound any better than cheap ones.

I threw in this head unit in my 08' edge: this

Has terrific nav also great EQ and audio zone controls, bluetooth ect. Beats the ehll out of any synce system! But sysnc is pretty cool i must admit Ill try to get pics if I get a chance. Its a very easy car to work on, also if you want to increase your bass without switching out your stock sub, simply take out teh enclosure and wrap it in some secondskin insulation(http://www.secondskinaudio.com/). It will keep your bass in your car and make the sound much more crisp. Ive used 2 rolls in my edge already. I now have ZERO road noise. I have 1 12" sub kicking at 600w @ 2ohms and with all the second skin you can barely hear the bass outside the car, its really amazing. If anyone lives in vegas Im more than willing to install stuff on your edge just hit me up with PM.

I am just trying to figure out the factory amp uses a speaker level input? I know it plugs into the little amplfier with a square plug. So just get an RCA converter and that will work? Also is it true mono going back to the amp?

Lee

• 3 months later...

Hey Jill,

Great work, wanted to do something like that to my Edge as well. I just have some questions, Is that Sub a shallow sub so that it fits into the space provided? Also is your enclosure made out of MDF or Fiberglass and is there enough room in that box to allow the speaker to breath? And do you have any dimensions for the enclosure? Thanks, all that work looks awesome great job

CresFresh

Andy

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Jill, looks amazing! What did you use for the custom box. Any advice, so I can tell my installer (i.e. Dimensions, etc)

Thanks for any insight, I really want to get this done.