What to expect at 200,000+ miles

macbwt

Larry I believe you are reading his statement incorrectly. He was referencing the fact that my power steering fluid has 260k miles on it well past the 150k recommendation.

akirby,

Why do you think the Motorcraft synthetic blend oil is crap? You are talking about engine oil?? Not power steering fluid?

Ā 

Thanks

Larry

Truely no one knows. I have researched this just the same and most say any where from failing immediately to "I wonder how long this thing will work?" I guess I am in the later part of that statement.

I don't think there is a fixed answer for this, MB guys like to boast about having hundreds of thousands of miles on theirs. More on testing them here:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/charging_checks.htm

I was able to get the oil changed at 268,400 miles. The oil sample was collected and mailed off. Should have it soon by next week. I have made some video of the beginning of the process and the sample collection. The young man collecting it for me was more than happy to be in the video. Youth.......

Ā 

Ā 

On another note refueled and got 20.3 mpg (some idle time) also with a strong wind for about half of the drive today. Overall this Ford Edge has remained rather consistant for me in the mileage catagory. The winds were strong enough that at time on hills at 75mph the tranny was gear hunting.

Edited by macbwt
  • Like 1

Oil sample was received by Blackstone today. Now I am waiting for the test results. On other issues I have bumped my head lately too many times on the rear hatch. I think it is time to replace the hatch struts as no matter how many times I have hit my head it still hurts each time. LOL

akirby,

Why do you think the Motorcraft synthetic blend oil is crap? You are talking about engine oil?? Not power steering fluid?

Ā 

Thanks

Larry

Ā 

If you're talking about this quote (only one I could find):

Ā 

So much for the "factory synthetic blend oil is crap and it won't last past 150K miles"........

Ā 

note the "so much for" and the quotes. Many people don't believe the factory synthetic blend motorcraft oil will provide adequate protection beyond 150K miles. I was saying that this topic is proving otherwise.

Ā 

And in the future, please quote the offending post.

• Like 1

While in the subject of long lasting fluids. Brake fluid is original and never been changed. Humm. My power steering was changed out only due to the fact that it all leaked out due to the broken hose.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

note the "so much for" and the quotes. Many people don't believe the factory synthetic blend motorcraft oil will provide adequate protection beyond 150K miles. I was saying that this topic is proving otherwise.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

While in the subject of long lasting fluids. Brake fluid is original and never been changed. Humm. My power steering was changed out only due to the fact that it all leaked out due to the broken hose.

Ā 

Ā 

I would change it asap. It's hygroscopic and probably full of water and could be rusting the brake components from the inside out.

• Like 1

Sounds like a two person job and all I have is a moody preteen girl as an assistant. LOL. I will have to get with my buddy to work on this one.

Ā 

I would change it asap. It's hygroscopic and probably full of water and could be rusting the brake components from the inside out.

• Like 1

Sigh.....I am giving up on the wife's Trailblazer (too many issues) multiple missfires etc. not to mention other problems. Time to start looking for another Ford Edge for her to drive, which means I will be looking for a future work vehicle for me as her Edge will become my work vehicle should or when my Edge ever have a fatal failure. Got to give the wife the newer car so that she does not have problems like her truck is giving her now.