What to expect at 200,000+ miles

macbwt

I think it is offical I have to sell the 2008 Ford Edge. The radio display stopped working so now I can not see which station to set it too. LOL

It used to light up if I hit the dash lightly, Then lightly harder, then harder and today I beat on it and no display. Presets are working at least until my battery dies or I have to disconnect it. Then it is anyones guess. Radio roulette anyone?

Edited by macbwt

First where you been? Second: The radio is lower on the list. New rear shocks, New left side LCA and all the bits that go with that and my ever lasting gas cap light that I may work on or may not. If I do get one I may just go with some plug and play after market radio that has sirrius ability. Not looking to rattle my license plate off the car.

Why not get an aftermarket radio?

That is exactly what I was thinking. Aftermarket radio with Bluetooth. Not a full blown sound system. Yours would be easier to replace than mine because of how many systems MFT and Sync are linked to.

As for where I have been, I have been monitoring the thread and listing what I may need down the road.

• Like 1

Just working on taxes and the 2008 edge had a lazy year and only clock about 40k miles for the year. I did however stay in hotels a lot more than in the past. Some slow client days and months, but it is picking up with average miles for the first of the year running at or above 5k miles a month. Just going to get busier as business is picking up and I just picked up a client in Sioux Falls south dakota with 14 other locations. I am looking at 6K plus months coming up. Guess I should try not to ride her hard and put her away wet so I can keep her going.

At this rate the odometer might read 300,000 miles around August. Time to change the banner to what to expect at 300,000 plus miles. LOL.

Edited by macbwt
  • Like 1

Took the 2008 Edge out today to a Saw Mill to help America's workers stay safe. I think I should of parked a little further from the chipper pile. LOL. Also took it back to the Body shop to get a few tweaks taken care of. Small rattle and marker bulb burned out. Both fixed.

post-28743-0-17852600-1427490118_thumb.jpg

post-28743-0-90792400-1427490130_thumb.jpg

post-28743-0-39354400-1427490142_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The body shop had to replace the bulb (brand new) as it burned out within a week of being installed. I will monitor this one. They also had to re-attach the passenger side mud flap as that was what it was doing all the way every day (Flapping). Now I can drive in peace. No issue with gas cap light it serves as a make due night light now. I guess you could say I now have ambiance coloring just like my wifes 2011 does. LOL

• Like 1

Ah yes. I feel another MercyGirl Production being readied. Placing parts order for two new rear shocks for the Orange Crush, then a full snow tire removal and remounting of the Bridgestone Duelers 422 Ecopia's including balancing. Not that this is something difficult but hey it is a DIY. Oh and off topic video bonus will be can I resurrect the 2004 Trailblazer with multiple misfires. (I think I found the problem and the part that is responsible)

Future video to come, 2011 Ford Edge Limited spark plug change out and another LCA (left side) removal and replacement on the Orange Crush.

Then just for Akirby's viewing pleasure I will install a K&N air filter in the 2011 in order to achieve astronomical gains in gas mileage and horse power.!!!!!!

• Like 1

As I suspected today preliminary alignment testing showed some pretty significant toe in on both front wheels. The right rear is also out of alignment. Front due to my replacement of the LCA and the rear is due to failed shock I believe. It could be a bushing in the right rear lower control arm, but will have to try to get the alignments done after the rear shocks are replaced. Got the Bridgestone Ecopias in the garage just have to get time to get this stuff done. I was hoping that since I replace the LCA and did not mess with anything else that I would some how escape having to do an alignment. Guess I will pay for a lifetime alignement that way when I replace parts I can just run over and get it realigned.

With tie rods you can kinda escape the alignment if you count the number of turns of the old part vs the new part. For example:

http://www.biopatent.com/alignment.html

Control arms are trickier because they have a more complex job to do.

http://www.1aauto.com/content/articles/control-arms

With experience, you can approximate a proper alignment, but you really can't beat an alignment on modern equipment.

I have to say one thing that the body shop said they did an alignment on it when they had it. I later discoverd the ball joints on both sides were bad (especially the right side) so this being said. They aligned it with bad ball joints and then I installed a new LCA on the right side and screwed everything up. I will get an alignment at Tires plus for lifetime and then when I do the left side LCA all I have to do is take it back for re-alignment. Right now I need to get the rear shocks replaced. Then align everything and install the new tires.

If everything works out you should be seeing the Orange Crush getting some new shoes, new rear shocks and an alignment. Videos soon to come. I will be working on it Friday. My right rear is out of whach so I am hoping the shock replacement and alignment will do the trick. If not then there may be a worn right rear control arm bushing issue. I hear faint clunks in the back so not really sure until I get it up and start twisting and tweaking.

New monroe sensatracs for the rear. Get the summer tires mounted and then an alignment. Oh and then I can listen and then determine if I have wheels bearings to replace. Yea me. Snow tires are so loud I can not decide if it is wheel bearings or not. If it is they are just starting to make noise and can not tell by turning the wheel on the highway. Time will tell. Also going to investigate a clunk noise from the right front. Hate to say it but just maybe the start of an axle/driveshaft issue. Time will tell on this one also.