Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

The official Ford authorized Ford Edge Registry is now live. More here!

Photo
- - - - -

Transmission Fluid Replace?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   macbwt

macbwt

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 2,412 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • Edge's Year:2011

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:56 PM

I think I will stick to my decision to use the machine.  Been working for me since 2010 so why change.  Interesting seeing and watching what you folks are doing.  Just a lot of time involved.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   coronan

coronan

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 30 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Edge's Year:2009

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:12 AM

Mac,

What are you paying to have your transmission flushed?

Are you getting full synthetic oil?

How long does it take round trip?  (Home > shop > home?)

My method takes an hour.

I didn't want to do it. I told the GF to schedule it 5000 miles ago, but she didn't, so I did it sunday night, while she made dinner.  I changed the PTU oil while i had it in the garage, too.   

Does anyone else find the dip stick impossible to read?

#43 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 7,762 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Edge's Year:Decline

Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:21 AM

I find both the engine oil & trans fluid dipsticks hard to extract cleanly from the tubes.  Engine oil is easily readable, but the trans fluid one, not so much.  Strong lighting highly recommended (maybe an LED headlamp?).

• coronan likes this

#44 OFFLINE   macbwt

macbwt

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:56 AM

I assume your method and time includes going out to the parts store buying the MERCON LV fluid which is hard to find sometimes in enough quantities then driving back home.  Then crawling under your Edge.  That is pretty quick time parts store must be behind your house.   Anyway 30 minutes (drive and flush)  and I get a coffee and not dirty.  150.00 and done.   Plus I know it is done correctly as the shop I use has been doing this for me for over 10 years.   I get enjoyment out of it most likely you get enjoyment out of the way you do it.  Cost wise/time wise.  We both weigh our time differently, but this is once every 6-7 month maintenance for me due to my driving habits so I economize my time.

Mac,

What are you paying to have your transmission flushed?

Are you getting full synthetic oil?

How long does it take round trip?  (Home > shop > home?)

My method takes an hour.

I didn't want to do it. I told the GF to schedule it 5000 miles ago, but she didn't, so I did it sunday night, while she made dinner.  I changed the PTU oil while i had it in the garage, too.   

Does anyone else find the dip stick impossible to read?

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#45 OFFLINE   Mirage52

Mirage52

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 109 posts
  • Edge's Year:2013

Posted 30 January 2016 - 08:30 AM

I'll be doing a drain and fill on trans fluid soon.

Any tips?

#46 OFFLINE   macbwt

macbwt

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 02:05 PM

Try this route, pretty simple and was very easy.

#47 OFFLINE   Liptoss

Liptoss

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 68 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:35 PM

All I know I'll be doing a drain and fill, flush or something with this crazy transmission without a replaceable filter.

Wondering if others will ring in with the mileage they've seen on their edges?

I've 113,000 kms on my '13 FWD 3.5

#48 OFFLINE   jasoneg

jasoneg

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 13 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Edge's Year:2008

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:54 PM

2008 Limited - 184,000 miles and going strong!

#49 OFFLINE   Liptoss

Liptoss

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 68 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario

Posted 21 September 2016 - 01:46 PM

Great! When I read info like this it gives me hope that the various components in this vehicle have what it takes to go the distance.

#50 OFFLINE   Buuls eye

Buuls eye

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 30 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Edge's Year:2015

Posted 27 September 2016 - 08:59 AM

I am going to do it every other oil change(10k). Ford said "drain and fill at 30k for extreme conditions". What Ford is really saying, change the fluid at 30k will most likely keep the tranny trouble free till 60k so you wont come in for warranty works which Ford has to pay. My take on what ford is saying is that at 30k the fluid will start showing oxidation and increase wear on the tranny. I think changing the atf frequently and long before the fluid break down should be sufficent for this transmission to go a long way.
  • WWWPerfA_ZN0W and cds71 like this

#51 OFFLINE   Josh Knights

Josh Knights

New Edge Member

• Facebook Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain

Posted 23 October 2016 - 02:57 AM

My 08 just rolled over 150k! Getting ready to change the trans fluid as its started to not be as smooth here lately. But running strong:) has since 70k.
  • Mirage52 likes this

#52 OFFLINE   Mirage52

Mirage52

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 11:59 AM

I've done two oil changes and trans fluid drain and fills starting at 30K when the dealer service plan ended....SO EASY to do. Takes me about an hour, all said and done, and that includes lugging out all the gear, jacking up car, draining and replacing fluid, and cleaning up.

Edited by Mirage52, 28 October 2016 - 12:00 PM.

#53 OFFLINE   dyost

dyost

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:27 PM

I used coronan's method below also. I broke the cooler apart in the same place as shown in his post. I thought maybe if the flow was going in a full loop, that I would take the other fitting apart, and would seem like I was getting the fluid from the cooler rather than right out of the transmission. However, when I tried that, fluid came out of the block from the front hose in that coupler, just the same as it comes out of the back fitting in the instructions below. So regardless of where you take it apart, you're going to get fluid coming out of that little block. I put mine back together and used coronan's method since he seemed to describe getting most of the old fluid out.

As someone suggested, I tried the elevated reservoir method, and that still would not pull a suction. I tied a large funnel up to a ladder, attached it with clear hose and clamps to the open hose taken off the back of the block, and filled it up with fresh fluid. Even with that, it would not pull a suction and take the new fluid. 

I pumped 6.5 qts out, and as described it starts to cavitate. I put two fresh qts in the dipstick. Pumped out another 3 qts of dirty fluid till it cavitated again. Then put two more fresh quarts in, pumped a little more out. At this point I had about 10 qts of fluid in my graduated bucket.

Started with 10 qts in the transmission, and had put 4 back in so far. I put two more quarts in, them pumped more out until I got that translucent new red fluid in the hose. I went until my bucket read 12 qts before it got clean enough for my satisfaction.

At this point, I put another 8 qts in, ran the car for a bit, and checked the levels once everything got up to temp.

I would up wasting 2 qts of fluid, but at $6.50 each was a small price to pay considering my local Ford dealer wanted $225 for a flush service. I had used a pre-flush treatment, which my local dealer says they also use and they are told by Ford it will not harm the transmission, seals, or lifetime filter. I used a product called Lubegard Transmission Flush that I got from O'Reilly's.

Thanks coronan for the great instructions. I gotta admit I was a little intimidated by this job, but it was pretty easy. Would have gone super fast if I hadn't screwed with trying the other fitting, and with trying the elevated reservoir to see if I could get a suction to take new fluid in at the same spot. Without that trial and error, maybe 1.5 hr job including cleanup. The longest part is screwing with the snaps that hold the fender well in in addition to the 5.5mm screws.

I Attempted the 2 bucket method.  It does not work.  

The transmission fails to suction from the Transmission cooler hose.

It will pump out old fluid.  

Here is my setup.  

Call me lazy but the bumper looked like to time consuming to remove to get to the trany cooler.  So i went after it at # 3 in Hacker's drawing.  Just a few screws to remove the fender liner.  Its a silly 5.5mm.   WTF Ford?  Who uses a 5.5mm head screw???

gallery_26463_710_549123.jpg

The pressure side is in the back.  A ~ 0.625" OD hose fits in the hole and helps direct the mess into the pan.  

If i had to do this again I'd use a graduated bucket, so i know how much has been removed.

gallery_26463_710_2248045.jpg

This blue hose is connects to the hose going to the cooler. I submersed it in fluid but it failed to suction.  A more elaborate method would be to run a longer hose to a elevated reservoir so it might gravity flow in.   But That's more complicated and asking for a messy spill.  

gallery_26463_710_45462.jpg

The Transmission will dump its guts in just over a minute.  Increased flow while in drive.  

With the GF at the Helm.  We spent about 15 sec in park, 20 sec in Reverse, 30 sec in drive.

Then the outflow got foamy.  (cavitation)  And we shut the engine off.  

I measured 6.5 liters in the pan.  Added 7 liters via the dip stick.

Ran another 20 sec in drive and 20sec In low.  Then Clean red fluid was being discharged and we shut it off. 

About 3 more liters came out.  That's 95%!

No wasted fluid doing 6.5 liter fluid change 3 times. 

At $12 / liter thats an extra $70 saved.

• EDST777 likes this

#54 OFFLINE   EDST777

EDST777

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 282 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:26 AM

some time ago, when I reached 118228 kilometers, I so asked questions here how to replace liquid in transmission. Then I wanted to make full replacement, the same method, but I couldn't remove hoses and plastic clip-on earrings, it seemed complex work for all who was near, there are no such cars here and to receive the help difficult, also difficult to find spare parts. Having considered and having got support at this forum, I made all works as method of partial replacement three times (especially I filled in unknown liquid of yellow color from the USA, and I shipped for priming of ATF Valvoline MaxLife, red color). Further on 136800 km I steles one more partial replacement. It seems to me, now, it more simply and not less effectively to do it through 20 000-25000 km. But also your mode as alternative good, but more responsible and difficult. Thank you for a photo, it is very important for those who will want to make replacement thus. It would be remarkable to see video how to remove plastic clip-on earrings).

Edited by EDST777, 18 April 2017 - 01:32 AM.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W and Mirage52 like this

#55 OFFLINE   macbwt

macbwt

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:05 AM

Wow Dyost

You figured out the hardest way to skin that cat.   I will stick with the drain and fill. Much easier in the long run and the fluid still gets changed.   Drain and fill or machine exchange has worked and have not had any issues regarding transmission fluid problems with the Edge transmission.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users