Should I buy? 2007 Edge 198,000 Miles

ajbuck68

Hey Everyone. A family friend is selling a 2007 Edge with 198,000 miles and I'm wondering if it would be worth it to buy. I know there are a few posts on here about high-mileage Edges, however, I don't know if this is common or not, and don't want to spend the money just to have to get a new car in a few months.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/14129-what-to-expect-at-200000-miles/?st=0

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/13621-220000-miles-and-going-strong/

To be specific, it is an SEL, V6, navigation, DVD, etc. I believe it is only 2WD, but I'll know more in the next few days. I currently am driving a 2008 Pontiac G6 with 148,000 miles on it, and I've been thinking for a while now about getting an SUV so I have more room for the family and because often I find myself needing more space than my trunk allows.

I'm fairly handy, and do all my own oil changes, brakes, and many parts replacements, so it won't be the end of the world if I need to replace a water pump or tie rod. I'm more worried about the engine and/or transmission. How reliable are they, and are there any common early signs of failure specific to the Edge?

Thanks for the all feedback ahead of time.

• Like 1

That does seem like a lot of miles - about 22k a year. Did the previous owner keep good maintenance records? Any major damage or accidents? And major problems in the past 3 years? I think you would want to know those things upfront before making a decision. If there has been continuing/ongoing maintenance issues every few months, you might be looking at a vehicle that you can't keep up with maintenance wise. I put 213k on my '98 SOHC 4x4 Explorer and kept it meticulously maintained, but it got to the point that every few months something else was going wrong and I'd be out a few hundred $$$. So now I'm in an '11 Edge Limited and couldn't be happier. And although mine is a AWD, I probably would not look at an AWD with those kinds of miles. To risky IMHO. I plan to regularly change the PTU lube but can you be sure it was regularly changed in the one you're looking at (if it is an AWD)?

Also, buying from a close friend can be a good thing or a bad thing. If the deal or vehicle goes south, is it worth jeopardizing a friendship over? Of course, this is your decision but I thought I'd just mention it. I'll butt out now. ;)

• Like 4

Since the Edge you are looking at is FWD, that takes away AWD related headaches :) Are the miles/year consistent, and have they been primarily highway miles? There's a bunch of maintenance to have been done by 200K miles. Plus all the components that are "replace as needed". You can get an idea here:

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/07frdmg1e.pdf

Look at all the TSBs issued for this generation 2007-10 on this site:

http://www.revbase.com/bbbmotor

Using the VIN go to this site and see if there are outstanding recalls (like fuel tank and airbags for example)

https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/maintenance/recalls.html

All comes down to price & time. And don't expect the water pump change to be easy. It is driven by the timing chains and you have to take the timing set off to take the water pump off. That is probably the hardest external part of the engine to get at.

The transmission probably worries me more than the engine. It does require regular fluid servicing to stay healthy over a long period of time, TSS/OSS sensors have been a common problem. Very doable work, if problems don't go deeper than that. In a few cases, burnt clutch packs and faulty torque converter have happened. When you test drive, make sure you drive it long enough to get the trans fluid good and hot.

Wheel bearings also go bad on this Gen of Edge. The rear ones can be a PITA to replace.

Personally, I'd at a minimum get all the fluids tested at Blackstone Labs (or similar testing company) to make sure they look OK. If they check out, along with inspection by a trusted mechanic, you may have a good buy.

• Like 3

Years ago when i would buy a used high mileage vehicle. I would use the 6 month method, this is my own personal idea I came up with. I would take what that vehicle would cost 'new' with a loan. Times the monthly payment by 6, that would be the price I would pay 'cash' for the vehicle. If the vehicle lasted over 6 months, I could say "I've got my moneys worth" on the vehicle :) If this makes any sense :)

I really depends on how much you are going to pay for it.

Edited by David Young
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

It would have to be cheap. With that mileage, I would look at $5 - $6K max. Hopefully less. After looking for a few days, I stumbled across my2007 Edge with 94K miles and ended up at 9900 OTD, no crashes reported or eveidenced, new tires, everything reasonably clean. Not the best, but not a bad buy either I don't think. If you have to pay more than $6K, you may as well look at vehicles with less miles out there.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Unless everything maintenance wise has been documented. You could easily end up throwing at least $1,000.00 dollars in parts at it just to catch up and that is not including labor.

All fluids would need replacement.

3K dollars and you may be alright. Nothing guaranteed though

Personally I would aim for a 2010 MY much better choice.

• Like 1