Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Ford Edge ST Forum Here

Photo
- - - - -

Sync 3 Installed in a 2012 Limited

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 ONLINE   jmr061

jmr061

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 354 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2016

Posted 14 April 2018 - 03:17 PM

You should be placing the antenna in the same location as the existing GPSM.  Also check to see if there is an antenna DTC.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#62 OFFLINE   swrstock

swrstock

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 4 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2013

Posted 14 April 2018 - 04:23 PM

Do you know where the existing gpsm is?  I believe it is still needed to work the compass in the display to the right of the speedo.  I cleared the DTC codes when installing.  Did not have the antenna for a few days.

#63 OFFLINE   candurin

candurin

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 1,153 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 14 April 2018 - 05:35 PM

It is behind the instrument cluster, just below the top of the dashboard.
  • WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#64 OFFLINE   Okie

Okie

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 18 posts
  • Edge's Year:2011

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:07 PM

I was getting that when I had the antenna closer to the front of the dash.  Since I moved mine as far back as I could on the cross member I haven't had this issue.  I originally thought it might be the antenna itself so swapped the one I used on my F150 which has worked without issue for a year and it had the same issue.

Also sometimes when it would work it was inaccurate.  Relocating it as I stated above I've had no issues for the past 4 days.

I am getting a GPS signal error (red circle with diagonal line over the letters GPS).  Nav still works no problem.  Anyone else get that error with the GPS antenna located in the dash behind the screen on the metal cross member?  Wondering if my antenna is bad or location is bad or this is normal due to location?

Thanks for your input.

• swrstock likes this

#65 OFFLINE   candurin

candurin

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:35 AM

Here are the service manual files for GPSM location and removing the Instrument Panel.

Attached Files

• omar302 likes this

#66 OFFLINE   so_edgy_bro

so_edgy_bro

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 14 posts
  • Region:Central America
  • Edge's Year:2015

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:06 AM

Hi all,

I found an APIM module and touchscreen from a 2016 explorer (APIM# db5t-14f239-ar, Touchscreen# db5t-18b955-FC) and wanted to see if y'all could confirm that these units will work for my 2015 Edge Titanium conversion. I also wanted to see if anyone knows if this APIM has the nav built-in.

Thanks y'all

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332546105022(link to the unit I bought)

#67 OFFLINE   candurin

candurin

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:39 AM

You purchased a SYNC 2/MFT setup, NOT a SYNC 3 system.  Wanted to make sure you were aware of that.

All SYNC 2/MFT systems have NAV "built in" it's just a matter of activating it with a license or a simple workaround.

• so_edgy_bro likes this

#68 OFFLINE   so_edgy_bro

so_edgy_bro

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 14 posts
  • Region:Central America
  • Edge's Year:2015

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:03 PM

I realized that, thank you for confirming. I cancelled the order and ordered this one https://www.ebay.com...872.m2749.l2649

Will this apim+screen work?

#69 OFFLINE   candurin

candurin

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:49 PM

From what I can see, you have just the screen in that auction. If for some reason it does include the APIM, it is a non-Nav version (based on the one screenshot that shows a screen without Navigation).

Other bad news... the F-150 screen is a standard (non-recessed) screen that will not fit the Ford Edge without using modified brackets (another member had 3D printed their own custom brackets).

Edited by candurin, 16 April 2018 - 04:02 PM.

#70 OFFLINE   Okie

Okie

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:05 PM

So_Edgy - Candurin is right that the SB screen is the non-recessed on the sides. 

I put an overview of the details I found out while searching for APIMs and Screens in the following post  Sync 3 Overview

Looking online it looks like the brackets are completely different than my 2011 Edge for your 2015.  It looks like they bolt to the top and bottom of the screen versus the sides.  This is just from looking online so I can't speak for sure.  You may be able to make a bracket to tie into the top and bottom brackets that mounts to the side of the screen you got.  You may also be able to talk to the person you bought it from and see if they have a different model since they are a recycler

#71 OFFLINE   crazymadman

crazymadman

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 13 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast

Posted 18 April 2018 - 05:30 PM

I have a SYNC 3 system installed that I purchased from www.4dtech.com. Go and check out there site

#72 OFFLINE   Okie

Okie

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:52 PM

4D has some good stuff but it is expensive compared to what you find used.  Their hubs and GPS module are over twice the cost from ford and amazon. 

If they are all new parts for the screen and APIM then the cost is probably fair.  If they are selling you salvaged parts I'd look elsewhere for the screen and APIM.  I bought one of their adapters for the hub power and it worked well.  I made an adapter on my F150 but didn't want to sacrifice the part from the sync 2 hub this time around on the Edge.  This is just my opinion.  I could easily justify the Sync 3 upgrade for $500 - $700 based on the cost of a decent aftermarket headset with the same features.  Once you start talking $1500 - $2000 though it was harder for me to swallow.

I have a SYNC 3 system installed that I purchased from www.4dtech.com. Go and check out there site

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users