Consumer Reports Reviews '11 Edge & MKX

Hockey87

Writing user interfaces or GUIs always prove challenging. You';; find some users like the screens and others hate it. I've seen a lot of high end cars with buttons all over the place and I wonder what CR thinks?

I only agreed upon CR's comments re: the close head rests. I'm now used to them, but experienced a lot of initial neck pain until I found my sweet spot.

The more I use MFT the more I play games to torment it. You need to experiment and find shortcuts to the various voice commands. Also, I rarely touch the screen anymore. I truly don't think CR gave the car the necessary time.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Writing user interfaces or GUIs always prove challenging. You';; find some users like the screens and others hate it. I've seen a lot of high end cars with buttons all over the place and I wonder what CR thinks?

I only agreed upon CR's comments re: the close head rests. I'm now used to them, but experienced a lot of initial neck pain until I found my sweet spot.

The more I use MFT the more I play games to torment it. You need to experiment and find shortcuts to the various voice commands. Also, I rarely touch the screen anymore. I truly don't think CR gave the car the necessary time.

To be honest, I can't say there was a single criticism that wasn't warranted to some degree. Except for those components of the Edge that I've never experienced, I could have identified every weakness that CR found (and a few more). But the review tended to be one-sided by glossing over the huge improvements Ford made to the previous version and I would not weight most of these issues as being all that significant. And that includes the My Touch interface. That takes a fair time to become acquainted with and there's good potential for Ford to fix the bugs in it and make it more responsive and consistent. I know I still very much enjoy driving my MKX.

In response to the CU report Ford is introducing a training program for its dealers since it was found that the sales people did not know how to show customers how the control system worked. There will also be enhanced training for new buyers.

I agree. the salesperson I spoke with was clueless on some functions. I think they spend zero time studying the product they sell. Shame on the dealership for not training them.

I like CR and I find their information valuable but it isn't the end all, be all that makes my determination for me. If someone were to only go by their recommendation then they are probably missing out on some great products.

I tend to use the reviews they provide as a tool when looking at items. Their reviews are usually fairly un-biased and accurate but just because the writer doesn't like or can't live with a certain function doesn't mean I can't.

In the case of the Edge reviewer, you not only have to take his experience into account but you also have to realize they typically only use these cars for a couple of days and with a system that is as in depth as MFT I think you really need longer than that to learn all the functions. So, if you don't want to spend the time then you may agree with him but if you dig new technology and learning that kind of thing you will probably disagree with him.

• 2 weeks later...

I always respected CR, but lately I'm feeling like they are a bit dated, technology seems to be going faster than what they can catch. Said that, the current state of the Sync Touch, it is really in a non recommendable state, still need a lot of work and holes to be patched. I understand the "take your eyes out of the road" because when your commands do not work, you need to look to a screen to know where to press, like if your butt is getting burned by the seat heater, there is no "real" button to turn it off, so you need to look at the screen to turn it off. On my old car, I could do that with my eyes closed. Shouting instructions at the car and being ignored is a bit, but I guess it will only get better.

Ford made me proud. It responded almost instantly to the CU report and put into place a training program for its sales force and additional support for its customers. Honda used to be like this back in the day. But, in the end, someone at Ford bet the farm on the hope that the Sync Touch would be ready for prime time before it was let lose on the world. It lost that bet. Who knows if Ford will ever get this to function the way it intended.

Who knows if Ford will ever get this to function the way it intended.

It can't be that difficult. The problem is the people that is "OK" with a super slow CPU on their $40K+ car..... Me, I will make my voice to be heard. I will complain and call the dealer every day if I have to until Ford gives me something that does what they said it does. Only if every Ford owner with a Sync Touch system do this, then may be Ford will be forced to revise those lame slow CPUs and incredibly buggy system.

You can't be "OK" with a computer, you must totally love it, as you do with anything new you get.

Who knows if Ford will ever get this to function the way it intended.

FWIW, I picked mine up the weekend (2011 Limited, with Vista Roof, BAMR, Navi, intelligent access package, cargo system, BLIS, dealer-installed DVD's, and, of course, the Touch.

After three days of driving, ZERO complaints. The Touch is responsive and much better than experienced by others. True, it came installed with the latest updates. But, I have had no problems at all and it's been a total joy.

So either the software updates have helped tremendously or Ford has an issue with consistency in production, but I'm totally satisfied. Of course, I bought this knowing that as one of the early (but not too early) adopters, I am one of the guinea pigs so while Ford has a responsibility for making sure that it is functional upon release, there is also a risk of being an early adopter. That said, there is certainly a responsibility of Ford's to make sure all things work upon release or to make things right as quickly as possible. Which in my case (and some others), they have. But again, we early adopters have to know we are taking risks that crap can go wrong and, too often, will (I am involved in product launches so I know that unexpected shite happens). Otherwise, I woulda bought a Civic and life would have been hassle-free.

Not that I'm not a savvy user either or have a low satisfaction point as I have had factory-installed NAVI systems before and this is a step beyond.

BTW, I'm no Ford apologist because I am a first time Ford owner and took my sweet, g.d.'ed time before Committing (whole process of research and thinking took over eight months, in large part because I had to get over my Ford/North Amercian car psychological hump) but am totally pleased thus far.

Now, that said, we can be all assured that when I start the car this morning, all hell will break loose. LOL

After three days of driving, ZERO complaints. The Touch is responsive and much better than experienced by others. True, it came installed with the latest updates. But, I have had no problems at all and it's been a total joy.

Not that I'm not a savvy user either or have a low satisfaction point as I have had factory-installed NAVI systems before and this is a step beyond.

Good to hear you have a good experience. Do you mean you touch the screen to let's say write a street address and the thing respond in a way that you can write let's say at the speed you type on any phone? Not have to wait about a second per letter? Or hit the home button and takes about 4 seconds to react?

I'm curious because this difference makes me wonder if Ford is using different hardware on more recent 2011 Edges.

Good to hear you have a good experience. Do you mean you touch the screen to let's say write a street address and the thing respond in a way that you can write let's say at the speed you type on any phone? Not have to wait about a second per letter? Or hit the home button and takes about 4 seconds to react?

I'm curious because this difference makes me wonder if Ford is using different hardware on more recent 2011 Edges.

Victor - I really think that it all depends on the quality of your download of software. I have a limited built in August without the upgrade - and my system works better than what you describe. I hope they are able to get yours set up correctly so you can truly enjoy. (I have not pulled a fuse once for the record)

There is nothing wrong with the hardware in the MyFordTouch system. The issues - including the slowness - are 100% software related.

And you know this because??... Do you have any insight I dont?

I have not being able to find any specification on the hardware they are using. Neither I've seen one running at a better speed than mine, and tried in a few Edges at the Washington Auto Expo and the dealer. Just to do a comparison to what I feel, and old iPhone 3G feels like a super computer in comparison to the Edge hardware... for what I've seen so far... may be I'm too exigent? Or have the bad luck that every vehicle I tried have the bad software installed??

Time will tell I guess. I hope I'm proved wrong.

I didn't say that. I just said that he knows what he's talking about.

I just wonder how he knows or sustain that, without knowing the specs of the hardware, pure curiosity, not to put in doubt what he say, but I do like facts, not "I know because I know" Same reason why I do not always buy CR reports until I see with my own eyes and try with my own hands :-).

Like I said before, I would totally love to be 200% wrong.

I'll let you know if my experience change this Friday after the dealer service.

There is nothing wrong with the hardware in the MyFordTouch system. The issues - including the slowness - are 100% software related.

I oh so hope you are wrong about this. Because with the level of expertise I've seen thus far from Ford's software engineers, the odds of ever fixing this mess are very poor indeed. (Could they perhaps be some of the same people responsible for the syncmyride.com website? Because that is probably the worst support websites in terms of design and execution that I have ever encountered.)

There is just so much variation in terms of the problems people have, it might be more easily explained by faults in the design or manufacturing of the hardware components or communication errors caused by electrical interference. I can see replacement of hardware components as a great deal easier for customers rather than having to endure years of guess-work software updates.

Of course if you are an embedded application software engineer with close ties to Ford, I'll take your word for it.

I have never seen such a level of frustration among users, part of my job is to test software, every day, I do it for several companies, from cheap $500 software to $300K one user license software, and I have never received a piece of beta software so beta as Sync Touch.

Be honest, of you buy a computer or gadget or GPS with so much trouble? Do you keep it? Or you get your money back next week? This thing is the core of the car, and cause so much distraction to the driver that is actually unsafe. I'm surprised Ford has not recalled it yet.