2007 Ford Edge: Technical Service Bulletins (TSB)

2007 Ford Edge & Lincoln MKX Technical Service Bulletins (TSB)

last updated: 16 October 07

Note: Due to copyright law we are not permitted to provide the complete text for each TSB. If desired, your dealer should be able to provide you with a printout of the complete TSB's text.

07-21-8

6F50 TRANSAXLE -

Some 2007 Edge or MKX vehicles equipped with a 6F50 transmission may experience a concern with the automatic transaxle. Replacing the transaxle assembly is no longer necessary to repair it for an internal transaxle concern.

07-19-6

POPPING/SNAPPING NOISE - FRONT OR REAR 18 INCH WHEELS - TURNING AT SLOW SPEEDS BELOW 10 MPH (16KM/H)

Some 2007-2008 Explorer and Mountaineer vehicles built prior to 8/17/2007 and 2007 Edge vehicles built prior to 8/24/2007 and equipped with 18" wheels may exhibit noise coming from the front or rear wheel(s) while turning the steering wheel at speeds lower than 10 MPH (16 Km/h). The noise may be coming from the chrome cladding that attaches to the rim.

07-19-5

MIL ON DTC P0451 -

Some 2007 Edge and MKX vehicles may exhibit a malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on with diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0451 which may be caused by electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) interference.

07-17-9

PCM - BATTERY JUNCTION BOX (BJB)- POSSIBLE MIL ON WITH MULTIPLE DTCS, NO CRANK/NO START, DRIVABILITY SYMPTOMS.

Some 2007 Edge and MKX vehicles may exhibit concerns that results in no crank/start, buck/jerk, lack/loss of power and/or malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) with one or more diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) present. This could be caused by a loose or unseated wire terminal connection at the Battery Junction Box (BJB) located near the battery under the hood.

07-17-2

ABS LAMP ON C1165/C1175 AND/OR C1235/C1236

Some 2007 Edge/MKX vehicles built before 6/1/2007 (FWD only) may exhibit an Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) warning lamp and/or a Electronic Stability Control (ESC) warning lamp illuminated with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) C1165/C1175 and/or C1235/C1236. This may be due to a faulty rear wheel speed sensor.

07-16-11

ROOF OPENING PANEL SQUEAK/RATTLE

Some 2007 Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX vehicles equipped with a roof opening panel may exhibit a rattle or squeak from the rear glass area. This may be caused by the delamination of the rear trim ring hook and loop (Velcro) adhesive. Inspect the rear trim ring and if loose, determine if the loop tape has delaminated from the plastic trim ring.

07-16-10

POWER TRANSFER UNIT (PTU) VENT LEAK

Some 2007 Edge and MKX AWD vehicles may exhibit a PTU oil leak from the vent which is located on the top surface of the PTU. The oil leak could also be mistaken as coming from the interface seal between PTU and transaxle.

07-16-5

BATTERY JUNCTION BOX (BJB)- POSSIBLE MIL ON WITH MULTIPLE DTCS, NO CRANK/NO START, DRIVABILITY SYMPTOMS

Some 2007 Edge and MKX vehicles built before 4/5/2007 may exhibit a concern that results in a no crank/no start, buck/jerk, lack/loss of power and/or malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on with one or more diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) present. This could be caused by poor fuse terminal fit in the BJB located near the battery under the hood.

07-11-14

NOISE COLD - FRONT HALF SHAFTS - RATCHETING/CLICKING/CREAKING

Some 2007 Edge and MKX vehicles may exhibit a ratcheting, clicking, and creaking noise from the front half shafts in cold ambient temperatures after a vehicle cold soaks. The noise occurs on medium to heavy acceleration when turning but goes away quickly. Replace the grease in both front constant velocity (CV) joints.

07-11-13

WHINE/HOOT NOISE - SPEED 50-60 MPH (80-97 KM/H)

Some 2007 All Wheel Drive Edge and MKX vehicles may exhibit noise from the power transfer unit (PTU). The noise typically occurs at speeds between 50-60 MPH (80-97 Km/h).

07-11-9

BRAKE DRAG

Some Edge/MKX vehicles may exhibit brake drag from the rear wheels or all wheels. Customers may notice an odor and/or reduced powertrain performance. In some cases, the driver may also note an integral vehicle dynamics (IVD) light after driving a given distance due to pressure noted in the module without a change in brake on/off (BOO) state. • To resolve the brake drag concern from all wheels - Replacement of the BOO switch is necessary. • To resolve the brake drag concern from the rear wheels only - Adjustment of the park brake cables are necessary.

07-7-6

PULL/DRIFT

Some 2007 Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX vehicles may exhibit a drift/pull concern that occurs even though the tire pressures and wheel alignment are within specifications, and the concern is not corrected by rotating the front tires left to right.

07-5-8

BATTERY SERVICE - OPERATION OF BATTERY EYE - CHARGING SERVICE TIPS

Do not replace a battery based solely on the indication given by the battery eye. The battery eye color simply indicates the battery state-of-charge, not its condition.

* RED usually indicates that the battery state-of-charge is at 40 percent or less

* YELLOW indicates that the battery state-of-charge is between 40 and 57 percent

* GREEN indicates that the battery state-of-charge is above 57 percent

* NO COLOR/BLACK sometimes no color can be seen at all and the eye appears black. This could happen after the battery has been in service for several years and some of the plate material has coated the balls

* CLEAR could happen if the battery case becomes damaged and the electrolyte has fallen below the plates

07-4-3

LEATHER-WRAPPED STEERING WHEEL - LEATHER COMING LOOSE

Some vehicles equipped with leather-wrapped steering wheels may exhibit the leather coming loose from the spoke area. Apply Motorcraft Instant Gel Adhesive to re-adhere the loose leather to the wheel spoke.

07-3-11

6F50 TRANSAXLES BUILT PRIOR TO 1/1/2007 - DTC P0715, P0717, P0718, P0720, P0721, P0722 AND/OR HARSH ENGAGEMENT, NO UPSHIFT, FIFTH GEAR ONLY.

Some 2007 Edge and MKX vehicles equipped with a 6F50 transaxle with a transaxle build date prior to 1/1/2007, with any Output Shaft Speed (OSS) sensor or Turbine Shaft Speed (TSS) sensor diagnostic trouble code(s) (DTCs) P0715, P0717, P0718, P0720, P0721, P0722 and/or harsh engagements, no upshift, fifth gear only, could have an intermittent short in the OSS or TSS sensor.

07-1-7

MERCON® ATF REPLACED BY MERCON® V AS A SERVICE FLUID FOR SOME POWER STEERING SYSTEMS

MERCON® Automatic Transmission Fluid is being replaced by MERCON® V as a service fluid for power steering systems originally requiring MERCON®.

06-25-3

PIONEER NAVIGATION RADIO - SEEK FUNCTION INOPERATIVE - SERVICE TIP

Some 2006-2007 vehicles equipped with a Pioneer Navigation Radio may appear to have a defective seek function. It may be reported that the radio Seek function is inoperative, Seek will not stop (keeps scrolling through stations) or the radio exhibits Poor FM reception. This may be due to a misunderstanding of how the operation of the PTY (Program Type) feature functions. The PTY feature filters out radio stations that do not fit a selected category of radio programming like: Top 40, Classical, and News. The result is a "continuous seek" condition if the feature is activated and no stations are found under the selected category.

06-21-7

AUDIO / NAVIGATION SERVICE AND ORDERING PROCEDURES

This article supersedes TSB 06-10-10 to update the vehicle applications as this procedure doesn't apply to the following vehicles if equipped with the Navigation System - 2005-2006 Expedition, 2005-2007 Escape, 2005-2007 Escape Hybrid, 2006-2007 Mariner Hybrid. Some vehicles may require the audio or navigation unit to be replaced.

06-18-15

IGNITION DIAGNOSTICS

Some 2006-2007 vehicles with a customer concern of a misfire, with or without diagnostic trouble code (P030X), access the spark duration PID's in IDS, in the Tool Box under Powertrain/Ignition Tools or in Datalogger when using IDS, WDS, PDS, or PID database in NGS Plus, to diagnose the concern.

Ours pulls to the left. Dealer said it was the crown of the road. I told them that it would go to the right then. I double checked air PSI in tires and let it be. Thought it could maybe be front wheel drive steering torque. Where can we get more info on these TSB?

Ours pulls to the left. Dealer said it was the crown of the road. I told them that it would go to the right then. I double checked air PSI in tires and let it be. Thought it could maybe be front wheel drive steering torque. Where can we get more info on these TSB?

Did they drive the vehicle to confirm this or not?

A crown in the road can work for both sides. A little drift to one side is nothing to worry about but a strong pull needs attention. Unless you are driving on an airport tarmac you'll probably not be traveling perfectly straight.

-Dan

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Ours pulls to the Right. We took it in the first time and they said the tire pressure was not right and filled the tires with air. The problem still existed. We took it back a second time and they said it needed an aliment. The problem still existed. We took it in for the third time and they said they needed to order a special part and they where experience many vehiles with the same problem. Finally they put the new part in and we pick the up the car. This problem still exists but it almost seems like they altered the steering wheel to be angled slightly right when you are driving straight. I'm extremling disappointed.

Did your problem ever get solved? If so, what did they do?

Thanks

Did they drive the vehicle to confirm this or not?

A crown in the road can work for both sides. A little drift to one side is nothing to worry about but a strong pull needs attention. Unless you are driving on an airport tarmac you'll probably not be traveling perfectly straight.

-Dan

I just bought an 07 Edge and had the same problem. Before taking it home the dealer double checked the tire pressure and even ran an alignment on it. it still slightly pulls to the left but not all the time. does anyone know what is causing this and when will the shop know how to fix it???

-J

Concerning the "Pulling". I have been back to the dealer 3 times and as others have said, tire pressure was off, etc, etc. NOT! My Edge will pull to the right even if I'm on the left side of the crest in the road. I find if you accelerate it responds or pulls even more. I had just picked up my vehicle from having the transaxle seal replaced so I took the service manager for a ride and of course it didn't do it :wacko: I called the next day and told them when I come in for the oil change I'll take him out on the highway, I don't care if I have to travel with him 50 miles but I will prove it to him. Otherwise I'm happy with it

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Incidentally, TSB 07-7-6 for the drift/pull concern has been updated and superseded by TSB 08-7-3. This update adds the 2008 model year to the concern. It address both right drift/pull and left drift/pull concerns. :rockon:

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum but I do have a lot of experience with cars/trucks.

If you have a slight drift or even what you may describe as a "pull," provided you have the means to, swap the front tires, move the passenger side to the driver side and visa versa.

If this changes the drift or pull, you have a few possible causes.

the first is what is known as a "radial tire pull," which is caused by the force created from the rotation of the tire. when radial tires are made, in rare cases, the belts are slightly off center, to the left or right of the desired position, but surely within spec. However, when you have a vehicle that has a good handling tuned suspension, you can sometimes notice this drift, it will not usually result in a lane changing pull though.

Another option is the alignment. If the caster/camber is off, there can be a few issues. One is that the tire can wear irregularly, which will result in the tire pull. The next possibility is the just the caster being off, which can result in a drift as well, but should not impact the tire wear so much. These issues are able to be corrected through an alignment, but in some cases, the vehicle can be within spec, but still exhibit the issue, in those cases, it is sometimes necessary to adjust the side opposite the pull outside of spec to alleviate the pull, typically not resulting in adverse tire wear, but fixing the problem.

Another rarer option is the brakes, rarely a caliper can be dragging ever so slightly on one side and cause a mild drift, which can be exacerbated by the crowned roads we have. Look for excessive brake dust on the wheel of the side the vehicle drifts to for this.

Lastly, sometimes the road is simply the culprit. If you drive a specific route on a daily basis, try taking another route and see if it still occurs. Also, try to have someone else drive it with you, not telling them the issue you feel exists and see if they make a comment about it. This will let you know that you are not crazy or feeling something that is not there, which the dealer will sometimes tell you.

A final note, although warranties are great and not paying to fix a problem is expected when you have a new vehicle, if you know a local independent shop with talented people, go to them and see if they can diagnose/remedy the issue. I cannot count the number of times our shop fixed problems that the dealer either could not or we were able to do it for a fraction of the cost, simply because we KNEW the actual problem, rather than just writing an estimate for every possible cause, figuring that would fix it.

• 4 years later...

A quick update to the list above from AllData's site:

TSB Number & Issue Date TSB Title

09M04S1 MAR 10 Campaign - Potential Cooling System Corrosion

09L03 APR 09 Campaign - Tire Valve Stem Inspection/Maintenance

07B46 JUN 07 Campaign - Tire Pressure Monitor System Activation

TSB Number & Issue Date TSB Title

10-16-1 AUG 10 Engine - MIL ON/Camshaft Phaser DTC's Set

10-4-6 MAR 10 Interior - Foam Seal Shows Between Dash And Windshield

10-2-9 FEB 10 Drivetrain - Growl/Howl From Rear Hub Area

10-1-8 FEB 10 Electrical - MIL ON/No Crank/No Start/DTC's Set

09-25-7 DEC 09 Drivetrain - PTU R/H Intermediate Shaft Leaks Svc. Tips