Dead Bugs & Residue..Best Way To Clean?

Hey Everyone,

Can someone please tell me the best way to get dead splattered bugs of my Chrome grill, side mirrors, and entire front end without ruining the paint?

I just got back from a 18 hour road trip and my car looks like I took out a few hundred bugs, the front end is completely covered to the point my side mirrors don't even show any paint anymore lol…some are really large, some small, some simply exploded and some of them are still somewhat in tact lol. The heat has been so intense the last few days and I'm sure they have crusted on the paint since I got back on Monday July 4th.

I highly doubt my regular soft Simonize mitt will be able to scrape these suckers off so what is the best "abrasive" I can use to get this mess off the car after it has dried up and what kind of soap do I need? Should I use my std Meguiar's Gold?

I saw someone at a car wash a few weeks back and the car wash guy was telling him that they needed to apply a special solution to get the bug residue off the paint and they used a small semi-abrasive scrubber, almost like the ones used to wash the dishes but not exactly in order to get all the "grime" off.

Before I do something I regret to the paint, can I please get some feedback on the tools and soaps I should use to get this off, I'm expecting it to be very tacky and crusty once I get to doing this.

Thanks in advance everyone!!!

Tony

I've been using dryer sheets to remove bugs from our cars for a few years now with no ill effects to the paint.

I've used them on a Toyota, a Pontiac, a Honda and the Edge.

I didn't believe it when I read about it on a forum a few years ago, but it works well. Just wet down the paint real well and also the dryer sheet. Then rub gently and watch the bugs slide right off.

I've been using dryer sheets to remove bugs from our cars for a few years now with no ill effects to the paint.

I didn't believe it when I read about it on a forum a few years ago, but it works well. Just wet down the paint real well and also the dryer sheet. Then rub gently and watch the bugs slide right off.

Interesting... I wonder how well it works with WD-40

I've heard about them too but have never tried them. I have a bug sponge from Autogeek that works very well.

What's the difference between a bug sponge and others?

I've supplied a link to the one I have. It is coarse enough (it HAS to be wet) that it scrapes away the bugs but it does NOT scratch. I was very, very leery at first using one but I have had mine for years and have used it on 100's of cars. It is an amazing tool. The other thing I do is that if the Lincoln just has some bugs across the front, i soak the b.s in ONR (Optimum No Rinse) and clean the area that way. It does a great job and you just wipe it dry afterward...that's if the rest of the car is still clean so you don't have to bother washing the whole thing. (Join us at Live2detail.com....you'll learn a ton about washing/detailing)

http://www.autogeek....insafscrub.html

Edited by richy

I've supplied a link to the one I have. It is coarse enough (it HAS to be wet) that it scrapes away the bugs but it does NOT scratch. I was very, very leery at first using one but I have had mine for years and have used it on 100's of cars. It is an amazing tool. The other thing I do is that if the Lincoln just has some bugs across the front, i soak the b.s in ONR (Optimum No Rinse) and clean the area that way. It does a great job and you just wipe it dry afterward...that's if the rest of the car is still clean so you don't have to bother washing the whole thing. (Join us at Live2detail.com....you'll learn a ton about washing/detailing)

http://www.autogeek....insafscrub.html

I just bought some ONR that I'm getting ready to use tomorrow. happy%20feet.gif

I've been reading that some people just use a grouting sponge. Is that OK in your experience?

If I had that much on my paint (and grill), I would keep a wet towel (paper or otherwise) on the bug residue for a couple of hours. that will help loosen the dried goo so you don't have to scrub as hard (and risk scratching your paint with bug shells). I would use a soft mitt and car wash soap to remove the bugs. Rinse frequently and repeat if necessary. The chrome pieces will take a bit more scrubbing before they get scratched. Water = universal solvent. Don't resort to harsh chemicals unless water won't soften it.

In South Georgia we get the "Love Bugs" two for one, certain times of the year. As they say, "What a way to go!"

I just bought some ONR that I'm getting ready to use tomorrow. happy%20feet.gif

I've been reading that some people just use a grouting sponge. Is that OK in your experience?

Grout sponges are a great wash media. They are soft and hold a TON of soapy water. I find personally that I like the ones from Lowe's better (I think they're called Proline or something similar). They will not remove bugs though unless you presoak the area with Duragloss Bug Remover or some Zep Citrus.

• Like 1

Grout sponges are a great wash media. They are soft and hold a TON of soapy water. I find personally that I like the ones from Lowe's better (I think they're called Proline or something similar). They will not remove bugs though unless you presoak the area with Duragloss Bug Remover or some Zep Citrus.

Got a set from Home Depot, but I'll check out the Lowe's ones next round. Thanks!