Looking for a 2011 Edge-questions

CaptKirk

Hi everyone, few questions here. I am torn between the Limited and SEL models. I like the limited, but SEL's can be a bit cheaper.

I took a Limited and a SE (havent drove a SEL yet) out for rides and the seats where day and night different. I dont mean leather vs cloth. I mean they are not the same seats. Is the SEL seat the same as the Limited but, just cloth. I wouldn't mind the cloth if the seat is as comfortable as the Limiteds.

I also felt that the Limited was quieter with less road noise. Do they insulate the Limited better??

Last question is the 6 speaker stereo vs the 12 speaker Sony. I am very sure the 12 speaker Sony is awesome, but, for general everyday normal volumn listening, is the 6 speaker version decent? I have to think its better then my 4 speaker system in my 2001 Explorer......... But, is the Sony a must have, cause the sound is that much better??

Thanks everyone.

-Kirk

I've got a Limited. Can't help you on the seats, since I only drove a Limited. Not sure if they insulate the Limited more or not. Would stand to reason. As far as the radio goes, the non-Sony radio is terrible. Spoke to the owner of the dealer where I bought mine, he said a lot of people test drive an SEL and listen to the radio, then drive a Limited, and listen to the radio, and they buy the Limited based on the radio. Of course, that is anecdotal evidence at best, and merely reflects opinion.

Initially I was looking at a 2011 SEL. Purchased a 2011 Limited. I can tell you from personally experience, the SEL did not sounds good. The SONY is much much better. However, I wouldn't recommend buying a car strictly for the upgraded Audio. The cash you save can be used to upgrade it to something that will surpass the SONY sound system.

Didn't notice a huge difference in comfort in Cloth versus Leather: I felt the Leather was a bit more supportive. I don't think it was an SEL that I sat in with CLoth, though. I think it was an SE.

Hi everyone, few questions here. I am torn between the Limited and SEL models. I like the limited, but SEL's can be a bit cheaper.

I took a Limited and a SE (havent drove a SEL yet) out for rides and the seats where day and night different. I dont mean leather vs cloth. I mean they are not the same seats. Is the SEL seat the same as the Limited but, just cloth. I wouldn't mind the cloth if the seat is as comfortable as the Limiteds.

I also felt that the Limited was quieter with less road noise. Do they insulate the Limited better??

Last question is the 6 speaker stereo vs the 12 speaker Sony. I am very sure the 12 speaker Sony is awesome, but, for general everyday normal volumn listening, is the 6 speaker version decent? I have to think its better then my 4 speaker system in my 2001 Explorer......... But, is the Sony a must have, cause the sound is that much better??

Thanks everyone.

-Kirk

I have an SEL with cloth seats. I haven't driven one with leather, but I get alot of compliments on how comfortable the cloth seats are. The interior of my SEL is very quiet, but I can't compare it to the Limited.

As for the sound system, I think it sounds great. I drove an F150 with aftermarket Pioneer speakers before my Edge, and the Edge is much better. I don't think you'll be upset with the SEL. I picked that model to save alot of money. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I looked at the SEL, Limited, and Sport. Went with the Limited for the extra "stuff" (both standard and optional) that just makes ownership that little bit more enjoyable, and yes the seats did seem different as we noted that too after the test drives. Not an audiophile by any means, but the Sony is much better than the standard setup, but as mentioned above, if that is your most important "must have", there are probably better ways to a nicer system. As for MFT, haven't had a single problem with ours, large or small.

P.S. didn't go for the sport as it seemed to ride harsher with those monster wheels, actually felt slower, and no HID's.

• Like 1

Reports from beta testers so far have been great. I don't have any doubts this time around.

I still have doubts that won't diminish until I have evaluated the update myself.

At this point, I would not purchase a car with MFT. That may change if I see that Ford has fixed MFT. I've been fooled by Ford's promises before so I won't believe it until I see it.

and...

where is this update that they bragged about last year? If they had a fix it would have been released by now. I bet they are still struggling with the buggy system.

Dont buy a MFT product!!!! It will make you mad every single day!!! Maybe the new software will fix it, maybe not. Wait to see what "real" people say when they see it. I like tech stuff, I like setting up tech stuf. I hate the MFT, it doesnt work worth a damn and crashes almost once a day especially if you have been trying to use it. If this thing was a phone they would have had them all returned. I am not very price senstive and price had very little to do with the car I picked. I picked a MFT car cause I though the MFT was a plus, it is not. It is a huge minus. Dont buy one! You have been warned!!

• Like 1

I still have doubts that won't diminish until I have evaluated the update myself.

At this point, I would not purchase a car with MFT. That may change if I see that Ford has fixed MFT. I've been fooled by Ford's promises before so I won't believe it until I see it.

and...

where is this update that they bragged about last year? If they had a fix it would have been released by now. I bet they are still struggling with the buggy system.

It's been in beta testing since December. You complained that the first one was released without enough testing so now they're doing extra testing using employees in real world conditions. They'll release it when it's ready. Isn't that what you want?

• Like 3

Dont buy a MFT product!!!! It will make you mad every single day!!! Maybe the new software will fix it, maybe not. Wait to see what "real" people say when they see it. I like tech stuff, I like setting up tech stuf. I hate the MFT, it doesnt work worth a damn and crashes almost once a day especially if you have been trying to use it. If this thing was a phone they would have had them all returned. I am not very price senstive and price had very little to do with the car I picked. I picked a MFT car cause I though the MFT was a plus, it is not. It is a huge minus. Dont buy one! You have been warned!!

My daughter's MFT in her 2012 Focus works flawlessly except for 2 lockups requiring a fuse pull right after she got it 2 months ago. And she's a "real" person.

• Like 2

My daughter's MFT in her 2012 Focus works flawlessly except for 2 lockups requiring a fuse pull right after she got it 2 months ago. And she's a "real" person.

And I'm sure that she uses it in such a way that it doesn't cause any issues. There are still other "real" people that have issues. My latest was that I couldn't stream audio over Bluetooth. It's been working fine over the last couple of weeks and then yesterday when I started it up, no audio. My iPhone's showing the podcast advancing and if I switch to speaker it works. Switch back to "SYNC" and no audio. Dig out the USB cable and connect up and now I can hear the audio but now I have to use the screen interface to back up the podcast to the point where I'd left off. All the time trying to navigate traffic on my way to work. Talk about frustrating.

This morning, it works the way it should. That's the biggest frustration - you just don't know if it will work or not.

It seems that one of the factors that Ford didn't take into account the first time around was that people will use their software in a multitude of ways and stress it differently. Hopefully the "beta testing process they borrowed from software manufacturers" (to quote them directly), will allow them to resolve enough issues that everyone will have a satisfying experience.

• Like 1

It's been in beta testing since December. You complained that the first one was released without enough testing so now they're doing extra testing using employees in real world conditions. They'll release it when it's ready. Isn't that what you want?

I'm just saying that they keep leading us along. Announcing a fix when they really don't have one. Yes they made changes to the interface but I bet the testing is uncovering more bugs that there "focus groups" didn't report.

I'm getting more skeptical as time goes on and getting tired of this BS that the new version will be here any day now.

And I'm sure that she uses it in such a way that it doesn't cause any issues. There are still other "real" people that have issues. My latest was that I couldn't stream audio over Bluetooth. It's been working fine over the last couple of weeks and then yesterday when I started it up, no audio. My iPhone's showing the podcast advancing and if I switch to speaker it works. Switch back to "SYNC" and no audio. Dig out the USB cable and connect up and now I can hear the audio but now I have to use the screen interface to back up the podcast to the point where I'd left off. All the time trying to navigate traffic on my way to work. Talk about frustrating.

This morning, it works the way it should. That's the biggest frustration - you just don't know if it will work or not.

It seems that one of the factors that Ford didn't take into account the first time around was that people will use their software in a multitude of ways and stress it differently. Hopefully the "beta testing process they borrowed from software manufacturers" (to quote them directly), will allow them to resolve enough issues that everyone will have a satisfying experience.

It's good that they borrowed a beta testing process. Too bad they didn't ask "real people" on this forum about their experiences before they attempted to "fix" it.

The press release raved about the bigger buttons and larger clock as well as "fixing" the Nav.

Those are the least of my issues and I bet they are realizing it after having real beta testers use it.

Look for the 2013 Focus to rollout with a new "performance upgrade" version that is still buggy. Just as they did with my 2011Edge.

I'm just saying that they keep leading us along. Announcing a fix when they really don't have one. Yes they made changes to the interface but I bet the testing is uncovering more bugs that there "focus groups" didn't report.

I'm getting more skeptical as time goes on and getting tired of this BS that the new version will be here any day now.

I believe the OFFICIAL announcement from Ford said 1Q. The unofficial announcement said end of January and January isn't over yet.

You complain they released it too soon without proper testing and now you're complaining because they're waiting to release it until they do proper testing.

You're impossible to please.

• Like 4

And I'm sure that she uses it in such a way that it doesn't cause any issues. There are still other "real" people that have issues.

NOWHERE have I ever said or implied that MFT problems weren't real or that people were not having issues. Never. Some people have horrible problems and many have serious issues.

However - I will respond to people who imply that EVERYONE is having major MFT problems because there are numerous cases both here and on other forums and in real life where people are using MFT with only a few minor problems, if any.

Just trying to keep an honest and accurate perspective on the problem.

• Like 2

I believe the OFFICIAL announcement from Ford said 1Q. The unofficial announcement said end of January and January isn't over yet.

You complain they released it too soon without proper testing and now you're complaining because they're waiting to release it until they do proper testing.

You're impossible to please.

Kirby. You are mis-interpreting what I am saying.

I'm not holding my breath for the release and will believe it when i see it.

From your post I would be willing to bet you are a very hyper person. Here is the picture you paint in my mind. Push button doesn't work.... Continue pushing button until it does.

I have found that it is just like a computer it takes a little bit to start up. I have had a few issues but to be honest they are easily remedied. I have had the black screen once in 2600 miles and 2 months. I left walmart and within 4 mins it did a weekly update and worked normally. It is a little bit sluggish, but to be honest my iPhone 4 gets that way some times. I would be willing to bet that people get in and start pushing a bunch of buttons before the system is ready to go thus causing it to lock up. Take any microsoft computer and start it up then as soon as your desktop shows up give it a bunch of commands and see what happens....

The only really annoying thing I have found is that I never know what will be playing when I get in. I shut the car off on my iPod and next time it is on the radio. Then next time on Sirius. As said simple issues and fixed by changing what is playing...

• Like 1

From your post I would be willing to bet you are a very hyper person. Here is the picture you paint in my mind. Push button doesn't work.... Continue pushing button until it does.

I have found that it is just like a computer it takes a little bit to start up. I have had a few issues but to be honest they are easily remedied. I have had the black screen once in 2600 miles and 2 months. I left walmart and within 4 mins it did a weekly update and worked normally. It is a little bit sluggish, but to be honest my iPhone 4 gets that way some times. I would be willing to bet that people get in and start pushing a bunch of buttons before the system is ready to go thus causing it to lock up. Take any microsoft computer and start it up then as soon as your desktop shows up give it a bunch of commands and see what happens....

The only really annoying thing I have found is that I never know what will be playing when I get in. I shut the car off on my iPod and next time it is on the radio. Then next time on Sirius. As said simple issues and fixed by changing what is playing...

Your last statement about the audio source is spot on.

I'm not so sure about the hyper statements though. My personal experience (16 months. 20k + miles) it doesn't matter how long I give the system to boot up. MFT decides to randomly pick features to fail. Ex. My iPod has been the car since day one. No new music added but MFT decides to render it unusable cuz it's indexing. Voice response...I hit the button and she answers me 5 minutes later.

I'm sure you will realize these features as the months go on.

I chuckled when I saw

"My daughter's MFT in her 2012 Focus works flawlessly except for 2 lockups requiring a fuse pull right after she got it 2 months ago. And she's a "real" person. "

"Except for 2 lockups in 2 months"???? "Requiring a fuse pull"? There should be none. My wife has an 11 Equinox with voice control and touch screen and has not had one lockup. I have an 11 Edge and have regular problems, and it is not because I do not wait long enough after car start or I do no know how to use the system. I also refuse to consider pulling the fuse or disconnecting the battery as a solution.

I am patient and I will just wait and see. I appreciate Ford doing the Beta testing, but if it does not resolve problems for basically all owners, I think they are in for some big problems, operationally and PR.

I chuckled when I saw

"My daughter's MFT in her 2012 Focus works flawlessly except for 2 lockups requiring a fuse pull right after she got it 2 months ago. And she's a "real" person. "

"Except for 2 lockups in 2 months"???? "Requiring a fuse pull"? There should be none.

Well duh - of course there should be none. And 2 lockups in 2 months as opposed to having continual problems every single day as others are reporting. That's quite a difference.

I also refuse to consider pulling the fuse or disconnecting the battery as a solution.

Nobody said it was a solution. It's a temporary workaround.

• Like 2

Well duh - of course there should be none. And 2 lockups in 2 months as opposed to having continual problems every single day as others are reporting. That's quite a difference.

Really there is no difference. Wether you have problems 5% of the time or 80% of the time. Anything over 0% is unacceptable.

I think Ford's CEO Alan Mulally would understand this. Hell, he designed the 777 cockpit. Do you think he would have accepted 2 lockups in 2 months in his aircraft?

This malfunctioning MFT should not be taken lightly. Aircraft or autos...people's lives are at stake here.

I hope to hell that I don't kill someone because I'm preoccupied with my F'd up MFT.

The tag line for Ford Sync is Hands on the wheel and Eyes on the road

With MFT, my hands are off the wheel & my eyes are off the road.

This is a major FORD FAIL and I don't understand why some people still try to sweep it under the carpet.

Really there is no difference. Wether you have problems 5% of the time or 80% of the time. Anything over 0% is unacceptable.

I think Ford's CEO Alan Mulally would understand this. Hell, he designed the 777 cockpit. Do you think he would have accepted 2 lockups in 2 months in his aircraft?

This malfunctioning MFT should not be taken lightly. Aircraft or autos...people's lives are at stake here.

I hope to hell that I don't kill someone because I'm preoccupied with my F'd up MFT.

The tag line for Ford Sync is Hands on the wheel and Eyes on the road

With MFT, my hands are off the wheel & my eyes are off the road.

This is a major FORD FAIL and I don't understand why some people still try to sweep it under the carpet.

Good point

I've often thought after reading some of the comments on here that Akirby and some others on these boards aren't real people, just Ford PR voices covering up all this mess.

• Like 1

Seriously? Show me one post where I or anyone else has tried to sweep this under the rug or say that there weren't actual, serious problems.

There is a huge difference between one problem every 30 days and having major problems every day.

If you can't even acknowledge that then you're not being rational.

• Like 3