2012 Door Removal/Speaker Install

Just picked up a new '12 Edge and wanted to upgrade the speakers but cant get the door panel off. I have seen the instructions on here for '11s and earlier but I think the '12 is different.

I have all the screws out and all the clips are loose but something is holding it in the middle. Doesnt seem there is any screw at the door handle anymore...so not sure what is holding it on.

Anyone have any experience with this?

From the PM post, for anyone else:

(No dirty car comments)

DSC_5425.jpg

DSC_5423.jpg

DSC_5427.jpg

DSC_5426.jpg

DSC_5424.jpg

Pull the switch panel up from the armest side. Pull the upper piece from the top. Now that I looked, there is only one bolt at each of the locations and 2 screws at the bottom. When you get all 4 undone, just lift the panel.

Edited by Dingo
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I added 4 Infinity Kappy 6802.9CF speakers (seems like a pretty popular choice on this board). Sound quality is much better and it only cost me about $155 through Amazon. The speakers aren't perfect if you're an audiophile, but they are cheap and are much better than the stock speakers.

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone:

does anyone know how to install the panel back onto the friction clips (or pins). I just had tints installed on the front windows and noticed that both the driver and passenger side door panel was a little loose. As I investigated I could see that the top corner friction clip did not sit completely into the door hole. I even went to Napa to get a door trim tool to help push the friction clip but ended up scratching up the door paint. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Mel

Edited by melgriffith

I'm trying to get the door panel off, removed all the screws and bolts, however it's just not sliding up, feels like there's something else. Any ideas? Thx.

Got it off, thought it was like my old 350 and once the screws ame off, the whole panel slid upwards.

Got my new speakers in and realized, I need to order some felt strips, cause the panel vibrates against the metal when its really loud =D

Edited by Tarawa

• 6 months later...

Anything beats the stock speakers (well, almost anything). What I need advice on is what people are using to replace the front pillar speakers with. I seem to "hear" them as much if not more than the doors (at least the highs) and would think a high quality replacement would make a world of difference..?

• 3 months later...

Tried taking off the driver's panel today and was unsuccessful. I removed the two screws at the bottom and the two 10mm bolts behind the window switches and upper panel as per above pics. How hard are you supposed to pull up on the panel to have it let go? I was getting to the point where I thought it was going to break if I went any harder. I also found what looks like a little clip in the aft map pocket area which appears to be holding the panel as well. It's in a real tight spot within the pocket itself. Is this new /unique to the 2013 sport models or not even part of the panel fastening? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by DoubleD

I gave it another try and discovered that little thing I called a clip is actually my ambient lighting. Still cannot get this panel off and I've read everything I can find online. Any suggestions? I didn't think Ford had changed anything for 2013 so there's got to be someone out there who has done this. Thanks.

• 5 months later...

Were you able to get your door panels off? I have a 2013 Edge and was having trouble as well even after removing the screws and bolts as listed in the write-up.

I gave it another try and discovered that little thing I called a clip is actually my ambient lighting. Still cannot get this panel off and I've read everything I can find online. Any suggestions? I didn't think Ford had changed anything for 2013 so there's got to be someone out there who has done this. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Not sure a video is really needed. It took me less than 5 minutes to get the door panel off. The bolt locations are clearly marked. Just make sure to lift up when removing the panel (to clear the door lock).

Having said that, this should help:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ODFY9TS6GsY

Edited by candurin
  • Like 1