Red Brake Caliper paint DIY kit

So.... for my next mod (as if the recent backup camera and BAMR lighted controls were not enough in the last 2 weeks) I have always liked the looks of red brake calipers and think that up against my white sand tri-coat, it could be a nice addition and some nice European flavor and pop. Now, the caveat is that I do not like them enough to go out and drop a bunch of coin on some nice high end calipers like Brembo, so I do not even want to go there okay, but I do like them enough to drop some coin on a DIY paint kit as that is clearly, after seeing all my DIY mods here, how I like to roll.

has anyone done this yet? I do not care if it has been on an Edge per se, more curious if anyone has done a full DIY paint kit on your calipers? I saw one post back in January where the guy started, but never followed up. here is one here is another

if you have, any words of wisdom or caution or recommendations? I am considering the G2 paint kit. video on installing

here is a dirty quick mock-up to give potential outcome.. any thoughts?

red

post-2453-1219990100_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lex Talionis

I have pretty much convinced myself to do this.. but just not sure on red or white. red is kind of classic euro sporty, but white could be a decent compliment, maybe? or since my car is actually not 'white' a white paint might be to much like I tried to match it, but could not.

maybe even black would be good

any opinions?

Edited by Lex Talionis

Have you done any research on how to paint them?

Here are a few links.

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/calipers.htm

this one mentions removing the pads before painting.

http://www.twinturbo.net/nissan/300zx/tech...erpainting.html

Basically it looks like..

Jack up car

Remove wheel

Remove caliper (probably just pull a couple of pins)

Remove pads

Clean caliper, then clean it again

Mask EVERYTHING!

Paint caliper (at least 3 coats)

Let it dry

Install pads, caliper and wheel

Remove jack

Do it again 3 times

Looks like a very easy DIY but time consuming if you only have 1 jack.

ab

I have watched a few vids and read the G2 propaganda and I think it will be a very easy mod. As usual, I will post up photos (B/A) of the mod. I already ordered the paint today, decided on red. Stuff is so cheap, but so universally praised as one of the top/best choices for this mod, I could always go to black if I really hated it, but I saw enough in photos I am convinced - against white car - it will be great.

As it turns out G2 talks about the fact that calipers do not have to be removed to paint. Yes you could and yes you could even spray versus brush, but I will stick to their protocol and leave them on, clean like crazy, tape it all up real well and brush paint away. I believe, without removing the calipers, I can do a solid job. They claim 1 coat is ideal if you can do it and is thick enough to be perfect, and there is enough in the can to do 2 for sure. And for sure, in talking with them, since you mix the catalyst and the paint, you MUST jack it up and do all 4 wheels at once as the paint sets up and cures so fast, you simply do not have time - they claim - to lift front, clean, prep, mask, paint and put wheels on and set down and move to the rears. I already have 4 stands arranged so I am set.

I expect to have it done by next week or so... so stay tuned.

I done this to my wifes 06 passat. I got the kit from tirerack.com. It took me about 8hrs to do. I can't stress this enough, make sure that you have cleaned them well. Mine have held up pretty well over the past two years.

After I let the calipers set for 24 hrs, I put the wheels back on. I accidently hit one of the calipers with a wheel. In that spot, the paint bubbled, and with in two weeks it flaked off. I hasn't gotten any bigger, but still there. Its towards the top of the caliper where it can not be seen. It probably will never be fixed.

Good luck.

Another mod done.. :)

It worked out perfect and looks pretty darn good. Worth the $37 spent. I would say it took about 3-4 hours to jack up (so have floor jack and 4 jack stands), remove wheels, clean - clean - clean calipers, paint, and then come back for a touch up paint, let dry, put wheels back on.

The G2 paint system is nice and hella affordable. A cleaner and enough paint to easily do 3 or so coats - but they say 1 coat should be good and I agree. Thick enamel so coats well. The only bad thing about this kit is that the brush SUCKS! As you proceed, the brush just brakes down - looses shape, loses hairs. I wish I had at least 2 brushes. So, the job gets a bit sloppy as you go along not so much because of you, but because you loose precision as the brush deteriorates.

Here are photos of before, after, front, rear, wheels on/off...

post-2453-1220889907_thumb.jpg post-2453-1220889918_thumb.jpg post-2453-1220889925_thumb.jpg post-2453-1220889971_thumb.jpg post-2453-1220906213_thumb.jpg post-2453-1220890114_thumb.jpg post-2453-1220890122_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lex Talionis

• 3 weeks later...
thanks. I really think with these open Premium Painted rims they really work well. The ones I have seen on the chrome clads, not so much as they cover the calipers much more.

thanks! this one was cheap, yet looks like more than it is and not yet cheezy

What color caliper paint against 2008 Light Ice Blue with 18" silver painted 10 spokes? I'm considering G2 Blue ( mid-Navy) or Duplicolors Med Blue(brush on kit) if not just silver painted so they look finished.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey Lex, how has the paint on the calipers held up?

I'm about to upgrade the rotors with cross drilled & slotted rotors with new ceramic pads. (I'll post the outcome)

I was thinking of painting the calipers either black or silver and I wanted to know how yours held up.

Thanks.

I have the red on my eclipse for about 3 years now. I touched it up just before this last winter. Not that it needed it, I just wanted to make it nice and bright red again. Paint hasn't chipped or come off, just faded a bit.

Just make sure you clean the calipers very good before applying. Its an easy thing to do, just takes a few hours of your time.

• 6 months later...
thanks. so far so good. seems to be holding up.

Lex, love the look. I'm doing the same to my '04 Lexus RX330 next week. Have some new rims and tires on the way and the shop said they'd paint the calipers red as well. I too asked about white, but they said they'd never seen "white" on a car because it would get dirty so fast.

Might do it with my wife's white Ford Edge as well given how cool it looks on yours!! :rockon: