Looking for info on the Edge

Rockfish

Hello everyone!

I joined your forum to learn a little more about the Ford Edge. I will be replacing my Dodge Grand Caravan soon since it has over 150,000 miles and am trying to decide which of today's new vehicles to purchase. I have grown out of the minivan stage and am not expecting to need a people hauler but am reluctant to give up on hauling stuff. I like the new CUVs since they have a lot of storage capacity without the off road and high trailer towing limits.

Two other vehicles I like are the Dodge Nitro and the GMC Acadia. The basic reasons for these three are:

Dodge Nitro - basic transportation with lowest price of the three that has reasonable storage capacity

Ford Edge - more luxury at a reasonable price with good storage capacity

GMC Acadia - lots of room but the highest priced and may be too large for me now.

I will be bouncing in and out of the various topics on this forum as I have time to peruse them. If you Ford Edge people and any comments regarding this trio of vehicles please reply.

Thanks

I came from the Caravan and more recently the Town & Country. I really miss the huge volume available to the minivan owner. But I had gotten fed up with Chrysler quality control and the dealership (and their service department, but I digress). The styling of Nitro is not my cup of tea and think Dodge and Chysler have really dropped the ball in this regard.

I think the Acadia is a decent vehicle and worth looking at. I was all set to buy the Ford Freestyle and most of those owners panned the Acadia after driving the Freestyle (I have not driven the Acadia). The Acadia just did not offer the mileage I was looking for and frankly GM cars drive me bonkers. The controls are never where I expect them to be - to the point I'll rent just about anything to stay away from them. Ford, Suzuki, Chrysler and Jeep have been much more user friendly. Your mileage may vary as they say.

Ended up with the Edge as it was just more exciting visually than the Freestyle and I was concerned about depreciation (another hit I took on the T&C due to Chryslers over production).

The Edge will haul four people in comfort, plenty of room in the second row which is a big concern for me due to elderly parents. They just don't bend that well anymore.

The back will not come close to the minivan in volume but I can sleep in the back - a big requirement since I need to sleep back there when I take the telescope out to star parties. Just can't do all nighters like back in the college days. I'm about 6' tall so the length and a flat rear was critical.

The Hyundia Veracruz is another one to look at. Never drove it but checked the user boards. The back did not quite fold flat and many owners reported mileage problems which was a deal killer for me. The interior is very well done, exterior is not as nice as the Edge but I think you owe it to yourself to check them out. And that Ford Freestyle. It may cruise down the road better than the Edge (longer wheel base), haul more - just a less than inspiring interior and the sound system is nothing to brag about (the Edge wins here!). The new Taurus X is the Freestyle with the Edge drive train - never tried one.

I think I sit higher in the Edge than in the old T&C and that is a plus for me. I really really like the shorter turning radius of the Edge too. With the van I felt like I docked it when parking. The Edge is more like a sports car to me.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks for the input.

My minivan has been very reliable and hauled just about everything I needed to load into it. No major problems and it can still past a dealers inspection for problems with the dealer saying nothing need replacing. It is a 99 with 154,000 mles so I can say I got my money's worth.

As for the Freestyle, I did look at it because I saw the cargo capacity of 85 CF and 20-27 MPG. When I looked at it at a dealership, it reminded me of a station wagon. Then I read about the rear brake wear problems. I scratched it off my list. The name changed but the style did not; however Fors made a good move in the new powertrain for the Taurus X.

I have heard some good things about the Veracruz but I can not buy one since I consider them a throw away car at this time.

I do like the unusual style of the Nitro and it is the least expensive of the three but I am concerned it may be a three year car and then be obsolete. It is very basic underneath the sheet metal.

As for the GMC, I think they have a winner but it may be larger than I really need anymore after 15 years of minivans. I have to really consider if I need that much space in an everyday vehicle.

Which brings me to the Edge. I have not owned a Ford since my 1964 Galaxy 500 so it would be a new adventure. The Edge is a good looking vehicle that seems to meet my needs but I am not yet sold on it. One concern I have is what I read in some reviews about the poor stopping distance. Something like 146 to 161 feet at 60 mpg. That is some of the longest distance I have seen even for heavier vehicles like the Acadia (60 requires 134 feet).

Has Ford acknowledge this braking problem and is something changing for 2008? Every dealer I have talked to says there is no problem.

From the Freestyle forum Ford has finally extended the maintenance replacement of the brakes with some owners converting to a different brand of pad to cure the problem. And it's a problem.

Braking on the Edge has not been a problem for me. They seem firm and quite powerful but I have yet to try a panic stop. On this forum the J hook discs and matching pads seem to be one solution when it comes time to replace. I think it was here that a different tire was used to help out too.

I suspect your driving style would dictate just how big a problem this would be. It certainly would not appear to be one from my experience.

I'm enjoying the car very much but after ten years in a minivan the transition is tougher than I thought. I'm not used to all the bells and whistles either. Not sure I deserve such a nice car!

What sold me on the Edge was the safety rating from The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Found here

The Arcadia that I drove for a week is nice. The manual auto was very nice. A lil bigger and underpowered. Constant gear searching in D. The 08's or next year sometime will have have more power/engine options so I'm told. Nice car but not $10k nicer than the edge.

Dodge's Look nice but don't last. Your's may have been a "good" one. Traded a 99 Durango w/ 70k and many issues for Edge in June. Traded a 97 Cummings truck w/ 60k and an attitude in April also. Done with 'em. Service sucks! "I don't know whats wrong" was there answer to my truck not starting half the time and taking 20 mins to get running... if at all? Same bs on durango sticking in 4th gear at 80 mph and engine dieing at lights. A trucker stop to help once and said they nicknamed the Cummings.... "comapart". Now I understand why! Been bought out by Cerberus, a private firm, that now owns 80% of Chrysler IIRC. Known for buying troubled companies and liquidating. Chrysler being $20mil in debt isn't good either. Nardelli's the new CEO AKA "the poster child of poor workforce relations". Cant get much worse can it? Give 'em 5 years to see if they make it.

Ford or Chevy for US "designed" and assembled in Mexico or Canada. Toyota is the best made, the only auto maker in the green and assembled in USA. How that happened baffles me. American, japan, Europe doesn't matter. All built from parts made in taiwan. Well...atleast we still make the frame and axles!

Sorry, needed to vent. Get an edge! 0% financing may help you decided. If still available.

We just got our Edge this week, brakes work just fine. We needed a vehicle to confortably transport a family of four (two teenage girls) to Maine on the weekends as well as tow a couple of boats back and forth in the the spring and fall. We looked at the same choice of vehicles, plus the Mazda CX9. If came down to a choice between the Mazda and the Ford. In the end the following consideration won out.

1. BAMR

2. Ford X Plan price

3.Dealer Convenience

My wife said that it was BAMR that made the Edge special. With the sunshades open, there are few cars that are as pleasant to ride around in especially in this price range. WIth the roof open the feeling of open air driving is there, certainly not like driving in our Audi C4 Conv, but still enjoyable. If you want to get the Edge you might consider requesting and X Plan PIN on this Forum. By the way, the X plan option made this our best car buying experience ever

Just my opinion, have fun with the search

rehtaf

Sorry to hear about you Dodge problems. Maybe that is why they started the lifetime powertrain warranty program. It would really benefit a person like me who keeps a car till close to the end of it's useful life.

Thanks for the link. That article talks about the protection when an accident occurs but I would like to stop before the impact. The reports I read on 60 to 0 mph stopping lists the Edge as requiring 20 to 40 feet more distances than other cars of similiar weight. It would be great if different tires and brake pads cure the problem then I could just include the extra expense as a part of the Edge purchase price in my buying decision.

Do you know if there are any 60 to 0 mph stopping tests with improved tires and pads? If this fix improves braking it would really help me remove a major concern of mine with the Edge.

pictor

Glad you are enjoying your Edge and I am sure you are having a great time in Maine. I have not been able to go there in the past few years but have enjoyed the coast especially Bar Harbor and the inner parts of Maine like Moosehead lake greatly.

Help me on this - what is BAMR?

I also looked at the Mazda CX9 but passed due to limited headroom inside and those large doors.

We just got our Edge this week, brakes work just fine. We needed a vehicle to confortably transport a family of four (two teenage girls) to Maine on the weekends as well as tow a couple of boats back and forth in the the spring and fall. We looked at the same choice of vehicles, plus the Mazda CX9. If came down to a choice between the Mazda and the Ford. In the end the following consideration won out.

1. BAMR

2. Ford X Plan price

3.Dealer Convenience

My wife said that it was BAMR that made the Edge special. With the sunshades open, there are few cars that are as pleasant to ride around in especially in this price range. WIth the roof open the feeling of open air driving is there, certainly not like driving in our Audi C4 Conv, but still enjoyable. If you want to get the Edge you might consider requesting and X Plan PIN on this Forum. By the way, the X plan option made this our best car buying experience ever

Just my opinion, have fun with the search

I am eligible for the Z plan so I test drove the Edge and the CX7 and CX9. I had a Mazda RX8 and like Mazdas but, I don't know....the CX7 & 9 just didn't feel right. For me, the handling and "feel" of the Edge was far superior to the Mazda.

The weight isn't that different between the two but I felt more ...grounded...with the Edge.

Help me on this - what is BAMR?

Big Ass Moon Roof

It's a technical term. :shades:

That's the name the engineers actually used internally. Quite apropos I think.

Also - you can use X plan pins to get Mazda S plan pricing. I don't think it's quite as good as X plan but it's close.

Big Ass Moon Roof

It's a technical term. :shades:

That's the name the engineers actually used internally. Quite apropos I think.

Also - you can use X plan pins to get Mazda S plan pricing. I don't think it's quite as good as X plan but it's close.

BAMR You got me on that one :wacko: ... thanks for the technology lesson.

At this point Mazda is not on my list, only the Dodge Nitro, Ford Edge and GMC Acadia.

I guess I could stir up a hornet's nest with this post, but these are just my thoughts. I only really saw one Edge each day I would walk into work. And the style was attractive to me. Later I started researching on the Net. Well, when I came across the Lincoln, that grabbed me. The retro '63 Continental / Cheshire Cat Grill, and the better looking interior, not to mention the rear end. The starting price was very good I also thought. As for a Dodge? I gave up on them years ago. I use to work for Chrysler, but no loyalty remains there now. Maybe it has something to do with all their commercials they have run for Years with a red car, well every Red Chrysler makes me puke, I just see cheapness in their styling. They have ALWAYS been known as the cheaper amongst the Big 3, by just a couple of hundred dollars, but it constantly shows in the interior and styling. Now don't get me too wrong here, because they led on technology during the hay days of the 50' 60's, 70's.

GM? I personally think hiring Lutz was a hell of a mistake. He pooh-poohed the current gas crisis, and GM marketing is trying to correct his mistakes with advertising alone. Each time I travel behind one of their current SUV's I ask myself, what Idiot approved that? What IDIOT approved the Aztec? Granted Ford shifted too many people away from the car side of thing's, but honestly, people couldn't get enough big SUV's, and that was where the money was. Ford saw the Crossover craze coming years ago and currently have 3 types on the market, An Escape, yes, it's really a crossover, the now Taurus-X, and Edge/MKX.

So now I look at the current Chrysler/Jeep lineup and my head Say's, "Head, their dated! it will be so boring in just a few years, their already boring." To me, their is something about this Edge/MKX, that looks? what, inspiring? Athletic? dare I say sexy? Dare, Dare. I do think the Edge is 'capturing' people from other brands, I also think just GM people are going to buy the new GM's and I also think people that are just watching their pocketbook will buy a Chrysler.

I also go buy an old Cadillac commercial, where a father tells his son, "Son, always get the best, you'll never be disappointed." And I know one old Toolmaker who told me, "for 2 bit's more, you can go first-class." So, If their was something I have wanted. Then I have done what I need to, to be able to purchase it. I'm an impulse buyer, If I like it, I buy it. I don't shop because consumer reports says this, or these 3 models are like that. Lets hope you go cutting EDGE and get one.

YMMV.

Isn't the CX-9 Mazda's version of the Edge and MKX

The CX9 is 3 inches narrower and 14 inches longer than the Edge. It also seats 7. Although both are the same height the Mazda does not have much headroom and the doors are hugh.

When I sat in one at a car show I knew this Mazda was not for me.

I am waiting for the 2008 to come out. Do I dare ask...... what is the X plan pins?

Other than not wanting the first model year of a new car, is there any reason you are waiting for the 2008 Edge? There are some good rebates now on the 2007's.

Do you know of any significant changes for 2008 such as improved braking?

Welcome to the Forum, I am a new member also.

Edited by Rockfish

Larger rotors and pads can be put on any car if it's a major concern. Car and driver says so-so grip Continental CrossContact LX all-season tires are half the problem. Still better than my Denali in 187 ft. Sticky tires make a huge difference but cost more and don't last. Had some Goodyear GS-C's and were the best tires I've owned. Drop the clutch @ 6500 and just a chirp before hook up. Maybe 10k per set but amazing performance that saved my life many times. Mazda dealers here are small, few and far in between. Turned me away. I bet it's a Edge w/ a new body but mostly the same underneath. Could be wrong.

My issue with dodge was the service not fixing the problem. Even know the owner well and sold him land before. Durango was serviced many times under a 7 yr warranty and they tell me its fine...normal... for stalling, ball joint failure or bad wear from poor design(wheels falling off some say), not shifting to OD or gear searching between 4th and 5th @ 80 and constant pedal pressure. I put it on a lift and was gonna fix everything myself. If you could have seen that parts list it was jaw dropping long. I said screw it! A 99 with 68k and happy to get $5500 to go towards an Edge. Got 9k for my dodge truck that was a 97 with 60k w/ rust, big dents from a bull, very poor interior and paint all pealed off on the roof. They answered some of the problems with a new model Durango! GRR! Wondered why they replace it so soon at the time. IMO, last good dodge was the power wagon.

Google "complaints edge" or whatever car to see what others have to say before you buy.

Wait till 08's are out and buy an 07? Just a thought.

Larger rotors and pads can be put on any car if it's a major concern. Car and driver says so-so grip Continental CrossContact LX all-season tires are half the problem. Still better than my Denali in 187 ft. Sticky tires make a huge difference but cost more and don't last. Had some Goodyear GS-C's and were the best tires I've owned. Drop the clutch @ 6500 and just a chirp before hook up. Maybe 10k per set but amazing performance that saved my life many times. Mazda dealers here are small, few and far in between. Turned me away. I bet it's a Edge w/ a new body but mostly the same underneath. Could be wrong.

My issue with dodge was the service not fixing the problem. Even know the owner well and sold him land before. Durango was serviced many times under a 7 yr warranty and they tell me its fine...normal... for stalling, ball joint failure or bad wear from poor design(wheels falling off some say), not shifting to OD or gear searching between 4th and 5th @ 80 and constant pedal pressure. I put it on a lift and was gonna fix everything myself. If you could have seen that parts list it was jaw dropping long. I said screw it! A 99 with 68k and happy to get $5500 to go towards an Edge. Got 9k for my dodge truck that was a 97 with 60k w/ rust, big dents from a bull, very poor interior and paint all pealed off on the roof. They answered some of the problems with a new model Durango! GRR! Wondered why they replace it so soon at the time. IMO, last good dodge was the power wagon.

Google "complaints edge" or whatever car to see what others have to say before you buy.

Wait till 08's are out and buy an 07? Just a thought.

I did check the Edge complaints and found very few offically reported. Very Assuring.

I would like to find specific test results with better brakes and tires to ease my concerns. I posted this question on the discussion section on this forum. Hopefully there are some available.

ROCKFISH, I HAVE HEARD ALSO THAT THE DODGE NITRO HAS A VERY BAD RIDE. MONTHS BACK A GUY ON THIS FORUM SAID HIS WIFE HAD TEST DRIVEN THE NITRO....SHE RETURNED TO THE DEALER 5 MIN LATER BECAUSE IT RODE SO BAD. NOT SURE IF HE MENTIONED BUYING AN EDGE, BUT I REMEMBER HIS COMMENT ABOUT THE NITRO.

ROCKFISH, I HAVE HEARD ALSO THAT THE DODGE NITRO HAS A VERY BAD RIDE. MONTHS BACK A GUY ON THIS FORUM SAID HIS WIFE HAD TEST DRIVEN THE NITRO....SHE RETURNED TO THE DEALER 5 MIN LATER BECAUSE IT RODE SO BAD. NOT SURE IF HE MENTIONED BUYING AN EDGE, BUT I REMEMBER HIS COMMENT ABOUT THE NITRO.

I have been reading some of the Nitro forums and have seen a much larger list of complaints and problems than on the various Ford Edge forums. One promotion that helps to offset the problems is the lifetime powertrain warranty but even if they will fix the problems who wants their car in the shop instead of on the road.

I have been reading some of the Nitro forums and have seen a much larger list of complaints and problems than on the various Ford Edge forums. One promotion that helps to offset the problems is the lifetime powertrain warranty but even if they will fix the problems who wants their car in the shop instead of on the road.
If u decide on the edge..u will not be dissappointed. I have had no problems with my edge. I have heard of 1 person on this forum with a transmission problem, but that was found to be low transmission fluid from the factory..something the dealership is supposed to ck when the vehicle comes off the car hauler. 1 person mentioned something about his paint having waves in it and no paint in the door jams........mine is perfect. Oh, and the huge glass roof... people have said they have had minor problems of the rubber seal slipping out in 1 place and of noise when it closes(the sunroof). All these seem to be "new vehicle problems. The edge is an all new design even though the platform (frame) is from the mazda 6, so problems like this happen in first year builds...but i have had 0 problems from my glass roof, from any part of the edge. Good luck in your car hunting.