Dashboard Paint Solution

The passenger side of the dashboard had the paint rubbed off when I transported some material in the Edge. Who knew the dashboard color was merely painted on at the factory?

As reported here earlier, Ford and the Ford Dealers in my area were of no help. No paint and no paint codes are available from Ford or the dealer.

I made a connection with a company called TCP Global, and for $35.85 plus shipping, they mixed up a pint of Medium Camel SEM # 5850 and shipped it to me. Today I got out some dash cleaner soap and maskeing tape and a good 2" brush. I applied 3 slightly thinned coats. I can report that the color match was spot on. Once the paint fully cures I will apply some very mild compound and I think it would be hard to tell that the dashboard had been repaired (at least if you don't look too close under very bright lights).

A Customer Rep at Ford Corporate did inform me that the color of the dash was Medium Camel. That was enough for TCP Global to mix up a match.

I also noted that the arm rest on the driver's sided had the paint worn off (2007, 80,000 miles). The paint was also used to touch up that area to my full satisfaction. Too bad Ford Thinks paint is a good solution for providing color to the plastic interior trim.

Edited by Feirstein

The passenger side of the dashboard had the paint rubbed off when I transported some material in the Edge. Who knew the dashboard color was merely painted on at the factory?

As reported here earlier, Ford and the Ford Dealers in my area were of no help. No paint and no paint codes are available from Ford or the dealer.

I made a connection with a company called TCP Global, and for $35.85 plus shipping, they mixed up a pint of Medium Camel SEM # 5850 and shipped it to me. Today I got out some dash cleaner soap and maskeing tape and a good 2" brush. I applied 3 slightly thinned coats. I can report that the color match was spot on. Once the paint fully cures I will apply some very mild compound and I think it would be hard to tell that the dashboard had been repaired (at least if you don't look too close under very bright lights).

A Customer Rep at Ford Corporate did inform me that the color of the dash was Medium Camel. That was enough for TCP Global to mix up a match.

I also noted that the arm rest on the driver's sided had the paint worn off (2007, 80,000 miles). The paint was also used to touch up that area to my full satisfaction. Too bad Ford Thinks paint is a good solution for providing color to the plastic interior trim.

Even Mercedes paints their dash. If it flaked off by itself that would be one thing, but you damaged it yourself. You damaged it - you fixed it for $35 - I don't see the problem.

If you damage the interior paint and you go to your Ford dealer or call Ford's Customer Relations, you are told that Ford does NOT provide a paint code or the paint itself or even a repair kit. All you can get from Ford is the name they use to describe the color. In my opinion that is a problem. Are you telling us that Mercedes leaves its customers in the cold in the same situation?

If you damage the interior paint and you go to your Ford dealer or call Ford's Customer Relations, you are told that Ford does NOT provide a paint code or the paint itself or even a repair kit. All you can get from Ford is the name they use to describe the color. In my opinion that is a problem. Are you telling us that Mercedes leaves its customers in the cold in the same situation?

But they gave you the name and that seemed to be all TCP Global needed - so why are you still complaining?

MB would have probably just repainted it for you and charged you $1200.

• Like 2

But they gave you the name and that seemed to be all TCP Global needed - so why are you still complaining?

MB would have probably just repainted it for you and charged you $1200.

It is very sad to see a forum moderator react in the way that you have.

I posted what I thought would be very useful information for our forum members and visitors.

The reason this information is useful is because Ford failed to provide adequate information and failed to provide a solution concerning interior paint repair colors and products. That is an objective reporting of the facts.

Instead of welcoming the fact that a member posted a solution that could be useful for forum members you insisted on calling me a complainer.

Perhaps there is a real attitude problem here that you need to confront. It is very sad to see this attitude projected from a moderator. If you want to discourage reasonable discussions on this forum keep it up.

I stand by my report that Ford has left its customers down with regard to this subject. That is a fact. So stop putting down reasonable comments or you will kill off this growing forum.

It is very sad to see a forum moderator react in the way that you have.

I posted what I thought would be very useful information for our forum members and visitors.

The reason this information is useful is because Ford failed to provide adequate information and failed to provide a solution concerning interior paint repair colors and products. That is an objective reporting of the facts.

Instead of welcoming the fact that a member posted a solution that could be useful for forum members you insisted on calling me a complainer.

Perhaps there is a real attitude problem here that you need to confront. It is very sad to see this attitude projected from a moderator. If you want to discourage reasonable discussions on this forum keep it up.

If all you wanted to do was post "helpful information" then you should have just said that you scratched the dash and you found a solution. But you're pissed off at Ford for first painting the dash (even though all high volume mfrs seem to do it) and then for not providing a paint code. You actually did have the paint code if you look on the window sticker I believe you'll find the interior listed as "medium camel' which is the name that you needed to get the matching paint.

I stand by my report that Ford has left its customers down with regard to this subject. That is a fact.

No, it's not a fact. It's your opinion and it's wrong. The product was not defective - you scratched it. Ford didn't hide the interior color - it was on the window sticker.

I cannot stand it when people blame others instead of taking personal responsibility. And I haven't used any moderation on this topic whatsoever so don't go there.

I'm sorry but I have a major pet peeve against misinformation and misplaced blame.

If all you wanted to do was post "helpful information" then you should have just said that you scratched the dash and you found a solution. But

• Like 2

As I own both a 2012 edge and a 2010 mercedes I can comment on this.

When I brought my mercedes in for it's first oil change it was $476 plus $35 to wash the car, when he asked me if I wanted a wash I obviously said "yes", after an hour they did shuttle me home and 10 hours later called to pick me up. Total cost around $500 and about 12 hours.

Now I just brought in my edge for an oil change and I received a loaner and 3 hours later received it back cleaned and detailed for $0, thats right free for first complete service including washed and detailed immaculately inside.

So as far as service goes Ford wins for both service, quality, conveiance and cost.

Now I should mention my Edge was only $50,000 where as the Mercedes was $85,000.

So please before you go slagging Ford especially against Mercedes, know your facts.

• Like 1

Alright Boys...settle down!

I honestly see both sides of this one. However I still lean more to Akirby's side. Understandably Feirstein was pissed to find out it was painted and how easily it could be damaged. This is one of the main reasons I stick with Black. Its usually always the base and not painted. Saying ford didn't have a code but had the name appears to be a good thing to me. I think this is a case where I'd just say its crappy that it was painted and you damaged it unknowingly and right it off as you know better for next time.

Why I'm more on Akirby's side, is I use forums for info. I want to gain knowledge on a subject. If a forum sticks to the facts, then I'm fine. When you slag Ford (or whoever) for something that, as pointed out, many if not most other manufactures do as well, then the thread starts to lose its value to the other members. As a Moderator, Akirby is just trying to do his job. I do think you may have been a bit jumpy on this one though, but only by a bit. Likely due to so much Ford bashing lately over the MFT crap!! I thought the same things when reading the initial post, I just didn't say it ;-)

As the saying goes - "Its not about what you say, its how you say it!"

Cheers!

• Like 1

So let me see; Ford paints its interior surfaces and refuses to offer a solution if you damage the paint, and you don't have a problem with that. I guess I must be wrong. And bashing me for going out of my way to point out a problem and a solution is good policy for a public forum. I happen to own a lot of Ford stock and anything that undermines the brand bathers me (not just as an owner). But keep up your attitudes and nothing will change because the act of bringing up a short comming is actually seen as product bashing. Live and learn. (Anyone want to bet that no one at the decision making level at Ford even knows about this issue?) I'v learned my lesson and will think twice about ever posting on this forum again.

Edited by Feirstein

so you think it is an issue that they tell you the interior color on the window sticker, and they refuse to give you a touch up kit?

hmmmm..... http://www.fcsdchemi...ckref/paint.pdf

medium camel - PM-19M547-0006H

http://www.fordparts...m547-0006h.html

and to think this took me 5min of using google.

Edited by c_bova
  • Like 1

so you think it is an issue that they tell you the interior color on the window sticker, and they refuse to give you a touch up kit?

hmmmm..... http://www.fcsdchemi...ckref/paint.pdf

medium camel - PM-19M547-0006H

http://www.fordparts...m547-0006h.html

and to think this took me 5min of using google.

Bazinga! You've just been pwned by c_bova! Nice one! :worship: See, facts, they are the important part.

Feirstein - apparently you just asked the wrong person/people. "Ford" knows the color code, whomever you were asking didn't. Maybe you should be hate'n on your dealer, not Ford.

After that last post, its obvious Akirby saw something I didn't. My apologies Akirby, now I think you weren't hard enough, I'd say bring it on, but that goes against my first post.

The color code issue has been answered. IMHO, c_bova has just closed this thread!