LED Switchback Turn Signal Install

The 1st time I put them in I never fired up the engine and drove around with them. I've now had them in for about a week and have only had the rapid flash happen once. Not sure why they are working now. I'm guessing the power draw is just enough to prevent the bulb-out sensor from activating. I need to get them out until I run relays cuz ya just can't see the amber signal at night with the white leds lit.

Hey guys, first time posting here but this topic caught my eye as I just installed Type 2 Switchbacks in my 2011 Sport. This install is more complex for a couple reasons. The main reason being that when the parking lamps are illuminated, the Edge provides 12 volts to the parking lights and 8 volts to the blinker leads. In the Type 2, which have a timed relay to turn off the whites while in blinking mode, this 8 volts "confuses" them so it will not allow the whites to stay on, but will allow yellow to blink without issue on a plug and play install. To remedy this, a relay must be installed on each turn signal to interrupt this 8 volts. I also did need to install 6 ohm 50 watt resistors to all bulbs to prevent hyperflashing as I have converted all four turn signals to LED bulbs. With the relays and resistors in, they work perfectly, but both would be needed to get it to work correctly. If anyone is interested in this install, I could make a video or something to explain how to do this exactly. Hope this helps though for the guys on here that want the Type 2's and have been having issues. I love mine (I took them off my previous vehicle and had to do some trial and error when I ran into the issues on the Edge to find all this out) and would never run the Type 1's because I don't like the look and they do not create a clear turn signal.

Just your basic 4 Pin Relays, I got mine at the local auto parts store for around $6/piece. Power, Ground, Switch and Output. The Power and Ground I wired right into my power and ground connections from my HID kit to make things easier and only have one connection to the battery and protect the signal relays with the existing fuse as well. Power connects to # 30 and ground to #85. Next you will have to cut the turn signal flashing wire to split it, but be sure to make the cut 2-3 inches behind the bulb connector so you have some wire to play with on both sides. The vehicle side of the turn signal wire needs to be connected to #86, and the bulb side gets connected to #87. This will complete the relay wiring. Repeat on the other bulb.

Now, for the resistors, you must wire them on the vehicle side (before the power runs through the relay) to prevent hyperflashing. Connect one wire from the resistor to the turn signal wire on the vehicle side, and the other spliced into the ground wire, which will be the black/green wire. The reason a resistor is needed is because incandescent bulbs have resistance to them as the power runs through it, LED bulbs do not. The vehicle flashers depend on this resistance to slow down their function, and when the resistance is no longer there, they flash faster. The resistor will basically trick the flasher module into thinking there is still an incandescent bulb there and slow it down. I will try to write this out soon on a diagram, but this could get you started.

Oh crap! I wanted to install these friday and this is getting out of my league! Any photos/videos would be great!

I thought all would need to do is use the resistors. The type 1s work with ZERO modifications.

Not a fan of cutting factory wires. I'd rather use scotch locks (whatever they're called).

Damn.

I just installed a pair (because they finally shipped, BO'd) of the type 1's and love them. Just as bright or maybe a tad more so that the originals (amber) and I love the effect of the snapping back and forth from white to amber. 2011 Limited AWD, 302A.

What is the attraction to using the type 2's ?

Success!!!! I didn't need to use relays, I only used these resistors:

http://www.v-leds.com/Load-Resistors/6-OHM-50W-2-BULB-LOAD-p4783296.html

Took me 5 minutes and they fired up white right away. The ONLY thing that is a little off is that one bulb turns white (after firing amber) a few tenths of a second after the other. It is definitely the bulb as switching sides doesn't correct the problem.

I'll get over it. I might email them just to see what they say.

Edited by candurin

• 3 weeks later...

I just recieved what I believe are the Type 1 switchbacks,(run white, blink white/amber) from V-LEDS and i absolutely love them. I almost wanna ride with my hazards on to show them off, lol. They look good with the rear and map lights being LED's as well. Next is the DRL's and the Puddle Lamps. Thanks to Dingo or Cellbine, or whoever found these lights.

• 4 weeks later...