LED Switchback Turn Signal Install

I'm looking to get 6k type 2 switchbacks for my 08 SEL. I was wondering if anyone has installed them on the 07-10 models just so I know if they're satisfied with them and if they decided to take out the amber sliver in the headlight housing or not...thanks

I just installed 6K type 2's (60 SMD's) from ijdmtoy and they work great but white is more blue than I was expecting. I am running what I believe are the whitest halogen bulbs (OSRAM night breakers) but the switchbacks are a bit too blue for my liking. I contacted ijdmtoy, and they suggested I exchange for their new Bi color 57 pcs bulbs which they say are a little less blue.

No need to remove anything from the headlamp and actually the amber piece inside the headlamp gives an amber colour to be viewed only from the side of the vehicle.

• 3 months later...

I just received the my type 2 switchbacks and the white does not work when the bulb is fully inserted. If I put the bulb in partially the white will light up, but once all the way in it turns off. The amber still works with the blinkers and hazards but that's it. Kind of a let down :( I was excited for these.

Any ideas? I think they might just be defective and have emailed V-LED's customer support but since it's Saturday I'll have to wait for a response.

Thanks,

-Russ

That's because Cellbine installed the type 1s (amber-white-amber). Type 2s (white-black-amber-black-white) require load resistors.

Here's the ones I am using:

http://www.vleds.com/6-ohm-50w-2-bulb-load-equalizer-resistors-led-turn-signal-blinker-fix-1-pair.html

You simply use the included scotch-Loks and clamp the resistor black wires, one to the turn wire and the other to the ground wire.

It is really (REALLY) easy. Literally takes a few minutes.

That will make the type 2s work, without problems.

Edited by candurin

I used the same 3m high temp mounting "Velcro" as my ballasts (not because the resistors get hot, but because the engine bay does).

Here's what I use to mount all my mods (HID ballasts, drl controller, resistors, etc.): http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007OXK1WI/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?redirect=true&ref_=oh_details_o06_s00_i00

Never failed yet. Just. And sure you mount on clean surfaces (just clean both surfaces with rubbing/isopropyl alcohol first).

I mounted them adjacent to my ballasts, right to the metal frame of my car (I would have no problem mounting them to plastic).

The resistors don't even remotely get hot.

Edited by candurin

Just wanted to see how everyones Vled type 1 Switchys are holding out. Anyone have any problems with them yet? Looks like they are now $25.00 a set and I was thinking about ordering some.

Mine are holding up just fine. For me, the 6k switchbacks don't look too bad versus the 5k HIDs I have.

Labol,

The adage "you get what you pay for" applies here. In earlier posts in this very thread, some tried the Ebay switchbacks and had issues. After reversing the leads, some got them to work correctly and others had hyperflashing.

As for me, I bit the bullet and got the ones from VLEDs which have not failed me yet. As for my backup lights, that's another issue. My left one goes out.

Since V is no longer gonna stock the ones most on here are using, the next best thing would be to find the same swithbacks on ebay. V did not manufacture these so I'm sure they still gotta be out there from different sources. There are a few type1's on Ebay that look to be the same ones. V still has them listed but only has one in stock and will not be getting anymore. I'm in search of a set.

These seem to be the same:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3157-DUAL-CHIP-COLOR-SWITCHBACK-WHITE-AMBER-LED-TURN-SIGNAL-LIGHT-BULBS-RESISTOR-/230923129180?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14133%26meid%3D5384278046379117268%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1085%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D230923129180%26

Edited by fishx65

I wish I wasn't temped to go with the vled tritons...

I just returned my V3 TRITON 5K WHITE AMBER TYPE 2 SWITCHBACK to V-Leds. I tried them in the 2011’s front turn signal/parking lamps. They didn’t work and after a couple of attempts with their customer support folks and more experimenting on my own, I gave up and returned them.

These look similar to the Type 2 versions VLED used to sell. They come with resistors too. If you do grab them, let us know how instillation and operation is.

That's the big question. If ya look at that E-bay listing again, there is a video posted near the bottom that shows them blinking W-A-W-A which would indicate that they are type 1's but who knows what they are gonna send you. I did send the seller (DT-Autotech) a question (Do you know if these are type1 or type2 Switchbacks?) and their response was that they are Type 1's. Sounds like DT does know the difference between 1's and 2's. Not sure if I'm gonna pull the trigger yet.

I took a closer look at the pictures and noticed something. The pictures show the LEDs alternating between White and Amber LEDs. To me this looks doctored and not true to its true operation because the colors change on the same LED node. I don't think that one LED node can alternate between colors like shown in the gif below (taken from the seller's ebay item page).

switchback_zps7f92d3e9.gif

If you look at my video and skip to about the 2m02sec mark, you can see that the alternating colors are not on the same LED nodes. Keep in mind that I have type 1's from VLED. I have linked my video below so you don't have to skip back and forth between the start of the thread.

On the other hand if the LEDs are true to the gif the seller has posted, then the LEDs he is selling could be twice as bright. If they are, I am very curious as to how they turn out.