Lowering and Warranty...

Hello all. :D

There seem to be some pretty knowledgeable folks here as well as , apparently, employees... so, my question:

Will a set of H&R Sport springs affect my warranty?

I know there are also a couple people here who have lowered their Edges as well. (sorry for being a relative noob here)

I'm looking at about 1.5" at the rear and 1.75" for the front.

H&R site HERE

Featured HERE and HERE among numerous other places.

From my "research" so far I have a feeling the dealer may require that they be installed there. True?

I also found some information saying, as far as I can tell from a quick perusal, that unless an after market part can be definitively blamed for a failure then said part cannot be used as a basis for a denial of warranty coverage.

Links HERE and HERE - credit to torch red at THIS link.

I have my eye on some nice Zinik 20" wheels with 275/45R20 tires and would like to have the springs installed along with the tires and wheels.

Tirerack.com can take care of mounting, balancing, installing aftermarket TPMS stuff, etc then ship directly to several different shops locally for installation.

Having all that done ahead of time almost makes me want to slap them on myself but with less than 1500 miles on the car atm I think I'll have it done by the pros. That and of course the spring installation.

Any and all relevant input/info would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Unfortunately you are asking us to predict what might happen. It is not a finite science. If someone installs lowering springs and oversized wheels, and these components or installation causes a concern then clearly that is not a warrantable condition. Alignments, tire wear, strut operation, handling concerns, vibration, harshness in ride, steering component failure, etc. would be areas that Ford could find out of their realm of responsibility. Changes in tire diameter would be cause for warranty denial in selected situations, damage to undercarriage components, such as exhause, brake likes, etc, might be questionable.

Much of the answer lies with the service manager at the dealership. They may choose to overlook the modifications and submit a claim or they may decide not to take the risk of a chargeback and not submit a warranty claim. I would ask for a copy of the warranty and installation guarantee where you get the lowering work done. They may be your covering recourse if a brake line gets damaged, alignment or balance can't be maintained, power steering lines get rubbed, etc. :shades:

soopo....i had my edge lowered w/ the h&r springs the day after i bought it....i had my dealer do it because they have to realign everything..u will love the look....my dealer charged $295....for everything. Go with 295 or 305/35 -22 tires. Anything else looks to small. Ck out my photo gallery as i have posted photos of my edge lowered with 22's. saleens7

Saleens7: "Go with 295 or 305/35 -22 tires. Anything else looks to (sic) small."

THAT's certainly a matter of opinion; I think 22"ers of low-enough aspect ratio so as NOT to be larger than 29.5" diameter look silly on an Edge...but that's my opinion, not a fact or factoid. I think my 20s look great--well-proportioned, etc.:

Side-rearquarter_700w.jpg

I think scoopo's tire-size choice is the right one.

No offence intended here, but the above picture looks like whitewalls, and when the wheels are spinning I'm sure they will look that way. I try to focus my eyes on the windows or above the beltline, and I'm seeing whitewalls, with your wheel choice.

/edit uhmm,, now I also see where smoked lens covers for the rear would help the dark look of the wheels also.

Edited by 07 MKX

Saleens7: "Go with 295 or 305/35 -22 tires. Anything else looks to (sic) small."

THAT's certainly a matter of opinion; I think 22"ers of low-enough aspect ratio so as NOT to be larger than 29.5" diameter look silly on an Edge...but that's my opinion, not a fact or factoid. I think my 20s look great--well-proportioned, etc.:

Side-rearquarter_700w.jpg

I think scoopo's tire-size choice is the right one.

I also think his edge looks good...i was just saying that with 22's if you go that route like i did, that a 295 or 305 helps fill the wheel well if it is lowered. Do no think scoopo had has lowered, so my comment does not apply to him.

There are occasions where a steering stop is needed when installing oversized wheels and tires. Make sure that you check the full travel of the tire in the wheel well at normal ride height and "bottomed" out. There are many instances when we must turn hard while braking (to avoid road hazzards, etc.) A tire rubbing or grabbing a steering component might be a dangerous occurance.

That is why I like to leave suspension engineering to real engineers. If something like that happened, even the friendliest service manager would not step up and fix it on Ford's dime. Too much liability and risk of a chargeback.

Thanks for all the input.

I'm feeling pretty confident I will have little trouble with the springs.

If the dealer insists on installing them then that's fine, I just won't be able to do the wheels and tires the same day as the springs. Worse things could happen I suppose ^_^

SaleenS7:

As much as I'd like the 22s with more meat I have decided to split the difference between fully filling the fender wells and the hit I'd be taking in ride (as far as sidewall height go).

That and the financial difference.

jeffreybehr:

I think those wheels look great. I was actually looking at those before I decided on this Zinik Z20 Violi model.

post-1289-1188228102_thumb.jpg

My Edge is black with tinted windows so I think the black wheels with the shiny lip will look awesome!

Smoke/tinted light covers sound interesting... hmmmm.

If the dealer insists on installing them then that's fine, I just won't be able to do the wheels and tires the same day as the springs. Worse things could happen I suppose ^_^

SaleenS7:

As much as I'd like the 22s with more meat I have decided to split the difference between fully filling the fender wells and the hit I'd be taking in ride (as far as sidewall height go).

jeffreybehr:

I think those wheels look great. I was actually looking at those before I decided on this Zinik Z20 Violi model.

My Edge is black with tinted windows so I think the black wheels with the shiny lip will look awesome!

Those wheels are awesome. You might also like the Niche Deez black.

post-369-1188297181_thumb.jpg

I lowered my Edge and mounted 20's on it.

The ride is so much better with regard to the vehicle sticking to the ground.

You will find more of the bumps with the lower profile tire, but no problems with rubbing in the wheel well or bottoming out.

The look of the lowered edge is much more aggressive. :rockon:

You will find more of the bumps with the lower profile tire, but no problems with rubbing in the wheel well or bottoming out.

That looks great!

Same color as mine.

I love the stance! Can't wait to get mine down a little.

I'll be going by the Ford dealership here by where I work today if possible and have a chat with the service manager.

Hopefully he's "performance-oriented" and our chat will be a good one.

Now am I correct in assuming the tires and wheels will not require any alignment as the springs will?

I'm thinking of getting the springs installed first then scoring the wheels and tires afterward. If so I can put the wheels on myself after the lowering is done.

Edited by scoopo

I agree with you that the handling is much improved. I still have the 18" factory wheels & I'm undecided if I want to change them now. I guess I'll wait & see how the plastic chrome holds up.

BTW; I like your wheels a lot. What brand are they? :hyper:

SaleenS7:

jeffreybehr:

scoopo...I understand...my 22 setup cost a good sum of money..and that was with the tirerack which has good prices. I was surprised though that the lower sidewalls seem to make my edge ride better. U would think it would not.

I agree with you that the handling is much improved. I still have the 18" factory wheels & I'm undecided if I want to change them now. I guess I'll wait & see how the plastic chrome holds up.

Thanks MXX2007.

The wheels are from Zyoxx.

They weren't cheap, but I really like to look and the quality is great.

Here's their link: http://www.zyoxxwheels.com/

What tire size did you go with?

Do you have any photos you can post of your car lowered with 18's?

TIA

Do you have any photos you can post of your car lowered with 18's?

TIA

I don't have any pics yet. It doesn't appear dramtically lowered. I believe its around 1.75 inches lower then stock. Thats just enough that you don't see too much inside the wheel wells.

The biggest benefit is that it handles crisper & you can push into corners a bit harder.

Edited by MKX2007

FYI, keep the same tire hight or it will change the axle ratios and alter performance because of this. Taller will make it sluggish. Shorter will give it more get up and go but reduce top end. MPG will change either way. Over 1 inch higher or lower is not advised. Check the tires available for the rim size chosen before the rims are purchased.

Bah! Just lift it and put on some 15" welds w/SSR's. Will stand out more fer sho! Hear you coming too!!

I guess I'll wait & see how the plastic chrome holds up.

They look good...but..."plastic chromed wheels" doesn't compute. :stats: Didn't even know until the first wash. Sounds like bassackwards thinking from a hangover that hasn't kicked in yet!

It's just an very expensive hub cap AFAICT...not sure without taking it off. From the chromed plastic grills I've had, I'm guessing they will look like crap in only a few years. Cracks within 5 yrs unless garaged. Hope I'm wrong. We shall see...

BTW, they come on electric jeeps at toys'r'us when replacements are needed.

• 2 months later...

So what was the outcome of the talk with the service manager?

I've had a lot cars with altered/lowered suspensions for auto-xing and I've actually learned quite a bit about suspension geometry in that time. My question is this. Has anyone spoken to a qualified suspension tuner about the effects of lowering the Edge (either front or AWD)? Its just that there's A LOT of stress that pushed around a suspension system. For instance, the kingpin inclination angle changes at a rate multiplied by its original angle measurement when the car is lowered. This puts extra stress on wheel bearings and strut assemblies, not to mention changing caster/camber angles. Lowering any car, increases negative camber and decreases positive camber. Reducing caster also increases the angle. Raising the car does the exact opposite as you would guess.

Im curious what your service manager said because I had the opportunity to speak with a service manager about this very topic only for Infinity, and he said there are certain parts (wheel bearings in particular) that are not high failure parts. When those go in a new vehicle, they look to see if the suspension geometry was changed due to different where marks seen on the suspension parts. Theyve actually had this a lot in the FX35 SUVs that people have lowered.

I like the "look" of a lowered Edge, make no mistake... But I've also seen some weird failures of altered suspensions. Maybe someone with race experience or with setting up suspensions can chime in? I already posed the question to the guy who sets up my auto-x car and he could only guess that its not a good idea lowering an AWD vehicle. His quote was to the effect of "why would you add more stress to the suspension that is already seeing stresses from torque being delivered to those parts?"

Edited by Edgieguy

• 2 months later...