Where to find the flasher for the directionals???

Hi Guys:

I replaced my bulbs in the tail lights and directional by LEDs, as you know they still keep on burning the sockets, two replacements on the row, but as a result, now the LEDs flash a little fast, I was wondering how to replace the flasher by an electronic one, but which to get? and where is it located so I can replace it?

Any help will be really apprecialted....thanks

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

The resistor loads is not an option, they are huge and we have no place to hide them in the back lights, unless we ran a long cable...IF they do not have flashers why the noise in the cabin while flashing??? It looks that come from one of the electric panels...

Edited by Kanatronic

The funny thing is that it flashes quick only while using the directionals, but if you use the hazard light, pressing the front switch, it flashes normal, and the load is the same in both cases, why doing while quick flashing on the directionals, and while using the hazard light it flashes normal, I do not get it, if they use the same BCM???

The funny thing is that it flashes quick only while using the directionals, but if you use the hazard light, pressing the front switch, it flashes normal, and the load is the same in both cases, why doing while quick flashing on the directionals, and while using the hazard light it flashes normal, I do not get it, if they use the same BCM???

The hyper flashing is there to inform the operator that the BCM has detected an anomaly in the turn signal’s circuit. The BCM is a computer and therefore under firmware control. Presumably the designers decided it was more important that the hazard warning indicators should flash at the normal rate over indicating a circuit anomaly.

Yes, that's exactly right - the hazard lights are designed to flash at the same rate regardless of how many bulbs are out (if any). The turn signals are designed to "hyper flash" to indicate to the driver that there is a bulb out. LED bulbs have virtually no resistance compared to standard incandescent bulbs and the BCM reads that as a bulb out. Adding a 6-ohm resistor mimics the resistance of the filament in an incandescent bulb and makes the BCM flash at normal speed.

I just posted yesterday in another thread a solution to the installation of resistors for the rear signals. You can find the rear turn signal power wires in the harness behind the left kick panel (next to the driver's "dead pedal"). Left rear wire is gray with orange and right rear wire is green with orange. There is plenty of space there to connect the resistors without worrying about their heat affecting other wires or plastic trim.

I actually used a dual load equalizer from Signal Dynamics because I was familiar with them from riding Gold Wing and it was more convenient than separate resistors. One module handles the resistance for both sides and it has a heat sink housing that mounts conveniently to the metal panel behind the kick panel trim. http://www.signaldynamics.com/index.php/products/led-lighting?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=37&category_id=44

Your other option is to buy CAN-BUS LED bulbs that have the resistor built-in but they are generally nowhere near as bright as other LED replacement bulbs.

Edited by TheWizard

• 3 months later...

To confirm what Dingo said, if you the signal on, the signal noise will go away while the seatbelt chime is on.

In mine that is not the case, with the seat belt chiming on, (BTW all the time, as I rarely use my seat belt, it is terribly annoying) you still are able to hear the directional signal clicking...one does not overlap the other, nor make one go away...I'm not saying that is not coming from speakers, just that both are audible at the same time...Even online they sell the flashers, but unless I confirm that is a doable option with some members with previous experience, I will not go for them...

I won't even ask why anyone in this day and age would drive a vehicle without wearing the seat belt. Seat belts save lives just as motorcycle helmets do but I see dumb riders without helmets every day so obviously their lives aren't important to them.

In any case, don't buy one of those electronic LED flashers online because they won't work with any recent model Ford... you won't even find a place to plug them in. Ford and most other manufacturers have gone to computer controlled turn signals - even cars that don't have the newer electronic turn signal switch (e.g. Ford Escape) have replaced traditional flashers with computerized control.

I won't even ask why anyone in this day and age would drive a vehicle without wearing the seat belt. Seat belts save lives just as motorcycle helmets do but I see dumb riders without helmets every day so obviously their lives aren't important to them.

In any case, don't buy one of those electronic LED flashers online because they won't work with any recent model Ford... you won't even find a place to plug them in. Ford and most other manufacturers have gone to computer controlled turn signals - even cars that don't have the newer electronic turn signal switch (e.g. Ford Escape) have replaced traditional flashers with computerized control.

Well in some states, like TX, I was really amazed to see that the helmets are not required by law...all bikers drive with no helmets on the highways...IMO what save lives is driving carefully, seat belts were never used in the glorious era of the american muscle cars in the 50's and 60's and there were a lot less injuries than now, OTOH at 80mph, 65 mph, even at 50mph, a direct impact is fatal regardless of if you are attached to the seat or not, air bags maybe will do the job better, same applies for bikes...there are other injuries other than the head that can kill you instantly...

About the flashers, as I said I will get it unless I could use them, but the sound of the directional is not interrupted by the seat bell chime...

The only way I know to disable the seatbell chime it will also disable the air bag, unless you know a different way which I really appreciate to know, as it is really bothersome!!!

Well in some states, like TX, I was really amazed to see that the helmets are not required by law...all bikers drive with no helmets on the highways...IMO what save lives is driving carefully, seat belts were never used in the glorious era of the american muscle cars in the 50's and 60's and there were a lot less injuries than now, OTOH at 80mph, 65 mph, even at 50mph, a direct impact is fatal regardless of if you are attached to the seat or not, air bags maybe will do the job better, same applies for bikes...there are other injuries other than the head that can kill you instantly...

That's the most rediculous thing I've ever heard. The only way your claim makes sense is to say that there were less injuries because there were less cars on the road. Injuries per mile of driving are WAY , WAY lower now than they were in the 50s and 60s. Also a 65mph impact is totally survivable if you're wearing your seatbelts, unless it's truly a direct impact into a solid, immovable object. But that kind of collision is very rare.

But the seatbelt chime is easily disabled, the instructions are in the owner's guide (they refer to is as "Belt-minder").

The only way I know to disable the seatbell chime it will also disable the air bag, unless you know a different way which I really appreciate to know, as it is really bothersome!!!

It's like, turn to acc. plug in seat belt, unplug and replug 9 times while the light is off, then leave unplugged and the light should stay off. If the light stays off, the chime is off. It's in my manual, and there's also a thread about it. ..unless that way only applies to first gens..

That's the most rediculous thing I've ever heard. The only way your claim makes sense is to say that there were less injuries because there were less cars on the road. Injuries per mile of driving are WAY , WAY lower now than they were in the 50s and 60s. Also a 65mph impact is totally survivable if you're wearing your seatbelts, unless it's truly a direct impact into a solid, immovable object. But that kind of collision is very rare.

But the seatbelt chime is easily disabled, the instructions are in the owner's guide (they refer to is as "Belt-minder").

I'm not encouraging anybody to stop using the seatbelt, whomever feel comfortable using it, be my guest, I feel it completelly uncomfortable (and IMO useless)...Bikers can use even a armor and in an ugly accident they will have very few chances of surviving!!! Simply you are the body...And again in Houston TX is legal to drive with no helmet, I'm assuming in other states as well.

I've driving for over 25 years and I have never had any accident, couple of bumps from stupids driving yes of course...whom has not...but you can not fix stupid, not even using seatbelts or helmets!!!!

In the 50's and 60's there were, considering the population, more or less the same rate we have now, maybe a lot less stupid people driving...Now we live on top of each other, we have not even space to park in the cities...to have more or less cars if people drive carefully does not mean that you necesarily need to have more or less accidents, just be careful and period, my Ford edge 2008 does not have a single scratch one it yet, not a single scratch, not even in the bumpers, go and figure, no seat belts here!!!

It's like, turn to acc. plug in seat belt, unplug and replug 9 times while the light is off, then leave unplugged and the light should stay off. If the light stays off, the chime is off. It's in my manual, and there's also a thread about it. ..unless that way only applies to first gens..

Done, thanks!!!! One less annoying noise there!!! Page 170 from the manual in PDF....BTW...

• Like 1