AWD option in 2007 Edge

full_jingbang

GOOD QUESTION... I guess Ford engineered this AWD system to be fool proof so their customers need not worry. As long as the service light is not illuminated, then all is well. That might work for some. Ford may also guess that If you need true four wheel drive, then you will not buy an Edge or MKX

I can't speak for everyone else, but I can feel my AWD working (on dry/non slick surfaces) by my seat-of-pants test. You may/may not want to try it... In launch mode (briskly accelerating from a stop with traction control and overdrive switched off) it doesn't shift all of its weight to the rear axle like a front wheel drive car does. There is a smoother, controlled, yet strong take off without alot of fanfare. If I floored the accelerator in a front wheel drive MKX, (same settings) then I would most likely spin the front tires as the weight shifts to the rear and then pull away.

Hope I didn't beat around the bush too long...but it is what it is (automatic AWD).

Edited by Lincwitsync

The Edge's AWD is always on. How much power goes to the rear is determined by a bunch of factors, including vehicle speed, throttle position, steering wheel and wheel slip. It's actually very rare that 0% of the torque is being passed to the rear.

Only way to be sure it's off is to pull the connector out of the RDU.

• 3 months later...

if AWD is always ON, then the car should consume more gasoline than normal.

BUT my car doesnt shows abnormal usage of gas. ....

any other point?

It's not always engaged but it's always active and monitoring for conditions that might require AWD such as wheels slipping or getting on the gas hard while turning, etc. If you're just driving normally on dry roads it should be in FWD mode 99% of the time.

if AWD is always ON, then the car should consume more gasoline than normal.

BUT my car doesnt shows abnormal usage of gas. ....

any other point?

The AWD components are always spinning, whether the system is on or not. Plus you are moving the weight of the parts all the time. So there is no difference in fuel consumption if the system is on or off.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...