How does Cooling Fans Module Work?

carlozv

Hello.

I'm new in this forum. I have an Edge, and I'm very interesed in to know how works the Cooling Fan Module.

The Edge has two fans, one main (left) and one secondary or auxiliar (right). If I wrong, thanks for correct me. Both controlled by Cooling Fan Module. My Edge controller has only one energy output plug for both fans.

However, I never have seen the secondary fan on. I use the A/C all the time, but maybe the environmental conditions (plain city with 16°C average) are not to hot, to force the PCM / ECM sends pulses to turn on the secondary fan. The engine temperature indicator is always Normal, that is to say in the middle or a little lower.

So, I want to someone that knows how does it work, explain me if this is normal, or if is necessary to check the Cooling System.

Thanks in advance.

CARLOS V.

I'm new here too am interested in the same. We have an overheating issue that I think is due to the second fan not coming on. It's okay until we stop in traffic. I took it in to a shop yesterday and was told the fans were bad, but tested them today and they're both good. I also tested through the module and one fan comes right on and the other one turns a bit so it's getting juice through the module.

Is there a temperature sensor or does the module have some kind of thermostat in it? I ordered replacement fans which of course don't fit in the housing properly so I'm returning them so while I had the housing out that's when I tested the fans. What else is there?

• 1 year later...

Looks like this thread died without any reslove. Any chance we can reopen it and get some responses to it? I am having the same issue and need to diagnose the problem and repair it. I have done a search and found good info but like Carlozv, I have yet to see the second fan come on.

Should both fans be on with the A/C running upon startup or does the engine temp need to raise before the 2nd fan comes on?

Fan on the drives side comes on when engine is started and A/C is on.

Any help on this is appreciated!

akirby, yup, read em and the one you referrenced. Just none of them specifically said anything about one fan not working, unless I missed it.

This site is awesome and the input is valuable.

I can get the Dorman module from RockAuto for 135.79. Not familiar with Dorman and RockAuto and prices range from 124 to 279 (Motocraft).

Just none of them specifically said anything about one fan not working, unless I missed it.

Did some troubleshooting and figured out the second fan wasn't coming on. It only overheats when the A/C was on.

I tested the old one and sure enough the passenger side fan had bad bearings in the motor.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know the technical details, but I do know that even with the A/C on, when the ambient temperature is above ~30 Celsius, the fans will be at a higher speed (very loud) compared to when it is less than 30 Celsius (much qu). So even if the A/C is on, it does not always mean that the fans are at full speed.

Edited by omar302